Grey Seas, Grey Sky

DowntownDave

Reaction score
As if the soul destroying grey skies weren't enough this weekend, here are a bunch of grey ships to go along with then.. :)

Two Japanese destroyers are a long way from home:

YAMAGIRI (TV-3515), an obsolescent destroyer now used as a training vessel:

Yamagiri-01.jpg

Yamagiri-02.jpg

Yamagiri-03.jpg

Tourists get a close look at the 76mm gun, ASROC and the embarked SH-60 Seahawk.

Yamagiri-04.jpg

Yamagiri-05.jpg

YAMAGIRI's sister AMAGIRI:

Yamagiri-06.jpg

Yamagiri-07.jpg

Lewis Wharf:

LewisWharf-01.jpg

LewisWharf-03.jpg

Finally a hint of color today:

LewisWharf-02.jpg

I read recently that the Nantucket Lightship was up for sale; this must account for her exile from the Rowe's wharf mooring where she used to tie up.

LSNantucket-01.jpg

LSNantucket-02.jpg

LSNantucket-03.jpg

LSNantucket-04.jpg

Balcony seat, anyone?

BYH-03.jpg

I hardly even recognize the old State Street tower any more:

BYH-01.jpg

BYH-02.jpg

BYH-04.jpg

BYH-05.jpg

Hmmm an ultra expensive yacht named 'Black Sheep.' Somebody has too much of Daddy's money to spend..

BlackSheep-01.jpg

Recent scholarship has determined that Columbus was actually beheaded by natives, and the statue has been updated to reflect this fact.

Columbus-01.jpg

Seriously, though, anyone know what happened to the statue? Vandalism?

There's no way that this shack can be in use any more, as suggested on another thread:

NorthAveBridgeShack-01.jpg

Rigging-01.jpg

Courthouse-01.jpg

Courthouse-02.jpg

This tugboat seems to have suffered some sort of propulsion casualty, or it suddenly decided to lay down a smoke screen:

Tugboat-01.jpg

Tugboat-02.jpg

The JUAN SEBASTIAN DE ELCANO, official training ship of the Spanish Navy, was also in town:

Elcano-01.jpg

Elcano-02.jpg

Elcano-03.jpg

Elcano-04.jpg

ICA gets into the act:

Elcano-05.jpg

Elcano-06.jpg

Elcano-07.jpg

Elcano-08.jpg

Elcano-09.jpg

At least the Spanish flag adds some color to the weekend... :)

They need to remove that statue. It presented Columbus as a knock-kneed wimp. Truly an embarassment.

Someone said that vandalism is often a form of artistic criticism.

Boston Harbor was infinitely more interesting before it was taken over for recreational uses. Paradoxically it was more recreational then, if you mean by that word: "giving rise to amusement." You saw the world unsanitized --and it's almost always more interesting that way.

Courthouse is awful. Boston's worst building. Pretentious, clumsy, incompetent.

Thanks for the pics, DowntownDave; you're not the cause of my funk, the New Boston is. All those good intentions, and it's getting duller all the time.

I just visited the Chucktown Navy yard for the first time a couple weeks ago, but I no longer have a camera, so this thread pretty much makes up for it - thanks! And I like the dreary grey vibe, in a depressive self-destructing kinda way...

One question, what's the big brick building in the background here? If I remember correctly, it had professional offices on the first floor, but I imagine that the upper levels have to be residential.

DowntownDave said:

$500k to 3 mil, eh? I'll check back in 5 years once I'm a famous musician.

ablarc said:
Thanks for the pics, DowntownDave; you're not the cause of my funk, the New Boston is. All those good intentions, and it's getting duller all the time.

Yeah, Charlotte is way better.

I can empathize with Ablarc. I get down in the same sort of funk from time to time. New development in this city can do that to someone who gives a damn.

I agree too; my solution is to declare Boston architecturally dead forever, and be happy for every little fly that occasionally flies of the corpse, like the ICA.

justin

Why? In the last 50 years has there been a better period for new development? Sure, we don't have any real cutting edge projects like New York or Dubai but that doesn't mean we won't at some point. Every time I post a picture all I hear is, "Cool picture too bad all those buildings suck..." Yeah, we understood how you felt the first 50 times you said it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical but I get pretty tired of reading the same monotonous negativity over and over again. I just feel like the negativity on this board outweighs the positivity when it should be the other way around.

These are fantastic! They are a great representation of the wharf district today.

bowesst said:
Every time I post a picture all I hear is, "Cool picture too bad all those buildings suck..."
That's because you're such a good photographer, bowesst. If the buildings were equally good, you'd hear more about that and you'd wonder if you were still good. ;)

bowesst said:
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we shouldn't be critical...
Yes, you are.

bowesst said:
...but I get pretty tired of reading the same monotonous negativity over and over again.
Speaking for myself, I'll try to make the "negativity" more varied in the future.

bowesst said:
I just feel like the negativity on this board outweighs the positivity when it should be the other way around.
It should indeed --and there should be good reason for it. But when things are bad its positive to decry it.

I just spent a day on jury duty. All that negativity...why don't those prosecutors lighten up a bit?

Or maybe we could just have less crime.

Btw, Charlotte is much worse than Boston :). If it had an architecture forum I wouldn't be a member. That should tell you what I think of Boston. I don't live in Charlotte for the architecture. :D

Back