Greystar | 35 Garvey Street | Everett

Great project! Hopefully it will be a catalyst for the renewal of the entire area. I admire those who will venture to live there....it's like setting up camp in the wilderness; I can think of few uglier non-residential areas in which to build. I wonder what provisions will be in place ongoing maintenance for such a massive project and for a quiet use of the courtyards.
The speed of approval has to be catching investor attention. You can spend 10 years fighting with Cambridge NIMBYs, or 1 in Everett. Housing is great and needed, but still waiting on a few more commercial developments to ensure local neighborhood economics are stable.

Chelsea Station is 33 minute walk. That's a bit far. Again, as the neighborhood develops further we will see less spaces in these projects. This isnt in Somerville or Allston. Not only is commute far, but for most people going to the grocery store, basic services, etc will be a bit away. At this time, in such a desolate blue collar area with an incoming white collar bubble forming, the first of many future projects coming will always have some sort of extra to get people to where they need to go. If there were 5-6 of these already here with a public services, a few grocery stores and restaurants, yeah, it would make sense. As anti-car as I am, I would not live in this project without a car. There really is no draw until the area really starts to take shape.

Everett's trajectory is following a very similar model to West Loop Chicago and Weehawken/Edgewater NJ. As they became more dense, walkable and built up, the projects' parking was severely reduced over time. But I really do agree with you, just right now (especially to get people to sign those leases, because Boston has one of the highest/highest vacancy rates of any MSA right now) there needs to a draw to live there.. over say, a more transit oriented area like Chelsea itself, Allston or the South End. Im sure the rents/prices in Everett won't be too far off.
Again, the “NEW” Chelsea Station is a 10-minute walk from here. Even so, though, this is still limited on transit access at the current moment. Lenders do not finance multi-family projects based on the transit accessibility of a project 5 years from now—they finance them based on transit accessibility today. As a consequence, many of these new developments simply cannot lock down construction financing unless they have parking ratios north of 1:1. It’s incredibly frustrating for the planning community: we know from study after study (such as MAPC’s Better Fit Parking Study) that most of these residential garages in the urban core have gratuitous amounts of empty garage, but financing institutions allegedly don’t give a shit and want to see those parking spaces. It’s so dumb.

I’m relieved this development proposal at least has an activated street wall and ground floor retail. This is the best we can hope for in this neighborhood until Rail Vision transformation of commuter rail on Newburyport line & SLX come to fruition. Then the project proposal and financing landscape can evolve considerably.

Last edited:
It seems like a one-stop (~600m) SLX to 2nd Street would make a big difference here, especially since it would cut diagonally across the street grid. Ridership at that stop would surely be low at first, but getting ahead of demand isn't a bad thing.

The SLX is being actively discussed
It seems like a one-stop (~600m) SLX to 2nd Street would make a big difference here, especially since it would cut diagonally across the street grid. Ridership at that stop would surely be low at first, but getting ahead of demand isn't a bad thing.
Hence nearly all renders show articulated SLX buses on 2nd Street...and this extension is being actively planned by the MBTA (screencap, below) and discussed on ArchBoston. Option 1A/LMRWG" (solid line) would go right by it
(LMRWG = Lower Mystic Regional Working Group) and so would 1D, 1E, 1F. And 1B 1C would still not be far.

Everett-bus.PNG

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the developer give this a name/address on 2nd Street (a street that people cutting to the airport have known for 40 years)

Again, the “NEW” Chelsea Station is a 10-minute walk from here. Even so, though, this is still limited on transit access at the current moment. Lenders do not finance multi-family projects based on the transit accessibility of a project 5 years from now—they finance them based on transit accessibility today. As a consequence, many of these new developments simply cannot lock down construction financing unless they have parking ratios north of 1:1. It’s incredibly frustrating for the planning community: we know from study after study (such as MAPC’s Better Fit Parking Study) that most of these residential garages in the urban core have gratuitous amounts of empty garage, but financing institutions allegedly don’t give shit and want to see those parking spaces. It’s so dumb.

I’m relieved this development proposal at least has an activated street wall and ground floor retail. This is the best we can hope for in this neighborhood until Rail Vision transformation of commuter rail on Newburyport line & SLX come to fruition. Then the project proposal and financing landscape can evolve considerably.

Ahh did not know about that. Ive been in the NJ area learning about Airport/Transport planning for so long now that Im not keeping up completely with boston. there is so much going on lol

Last edited:
As an Anglophile, I've always found the acronym tat to be perfect. Their effort here does not disappoint.

I am impressed that Everett is so pro-development and keeps things moving. I will say, however, that this area looks like Cartaret, NJ with those oil tanks in the background.

That article is for Elan Everett, not 35 Garvey Street.

Here we go!

www.bostonglobe.com

From ‘Commercial Triangle’ to a hub of new housing in Everett - The Boston Globe
Developers start work on big new housing development in industrial corner of Everett.
www.bostonglobe.com
www.bostonglobe.com

1651514001224.png

"....... The Garvey Street project is the second of three large residential developments Greystar is planning Everett’s Commercial Triangle, including 714 units at 85 Boston St. and 741 apartments at 1690 Revere Beach Parkway. Construction is underway on the 330-unit first phase of 85 Boston St., which is scheduled to open next year........"

Back