Hamilton Co. Apartment Bldg | 1085 Boylston Street | Fenway

bbfen

Reaction score
From the BRA notice of public meeting:

The Hamilton Company Charitable Foundation ... proposes a six-story building totalling 28,860 gsf. The building will contain 30 rental apartments, a parking garage with 10 spaces, 8 surface parking spaces, and a green roof which will be accessible to the buidling tenants and their guests.

John Fitzgerald is acepting comments until October 1.

Public meeting on September 19th at 6:30 at Berklee's building at 1140 Boylston ST. The property in question is the skinny parking lot next to parcel 12.

I don't know who the architect is, they might just be doing it in house. I've known for about a year they've been trying to develop this site though.

edit: typo

Re: 1085 Boylston Street Development

No restaurant/retail? That would be disappointing.

Is this on the north or south side of the street? North side is a parking lot, south site is where Little Steve's is.

Is this on the north or south side of the street? North side is a parking lot, south site is where Little Steve's is.

North side; odd numbers on Boylston are always the north side.

Honestly, though, the proposed building is so small does it even merit a thread?

There are threads for so much worse on here; at least this is a real development.

No restaurant/retail? That would be disappointing.

This was formerly a residential building without retail, so it's not unsurprising to me. Until at least all the parcels are fully developed, the closest retail on this side of the street is Dillions two blocks east. I think it will be fine though. Parcel 12 will be the transition from Back Bay down to the Emerald Necklace/residential buildings.

I don't see a pressing need for retail on the first floor in this location, given that it's directly across the street from ~8 restaurants, a bank, a coffee shop, and a convenience store.

I hope there is no push-back by Back Bay residents on this, complaining that the apartments will be appealing to college students. Who else would want to live overlooking the Mass Pike?

A big improvement to the parking lot that is there now.

Seriously? It shouldn't have retail because there's already retail across the street?

Why build anything here? There are already buildings across the street.

Okay, but in context, it was a response to "why is there no retail?" It's a justification for that.

Seriously? It shouldn't have retail because there's already retail across the street?

Why build anything here? There are already buildings across the street.

You didn't read what I wrote. I said it's unsurprising, given the other factors of that side of the street.

I was referring to what John wrote, not you. But I think it's surprising, actually, too. Retail tenants look for high foot traffic/visibility, which is usually generated from other retail, like that across the street.

5 apartments within 2700 sqft (average). Those are some small apartments. It appears to cater to seniors or young proffesional straight out of college; community college.

Is that a typo --- the filing shows 30 apartments.

Looks like they have started this project. Parking lot closed, site fenced in and sidewalk protection in place.

1085 Boylston Str. 5/4

Is that a typo --- the filing shows 30 apartments.

I believe each floor will be 2,700 square feet with 5 apartments on each floor...so maybe that's what he was meaning.

Either way, it's good to see apartments like this. I wish they'd build more around this size in the city...it's needed. My girl and I have plenty of space here and I believe our apartment is only 60 sq meters (so like 650 sq feet).

Great project for the site. A few years from now, it will be in the process of being ravaged by college students.

This is directly adjacent to a site where I believe Millennium Partners was going to build a 50 or 60 story building over the Pike on Mass Ave in 1999 or 2000.

To that end, how long before some hack comes in here and complains that there should be something tall on the site?

Back