Harriet Tubman House | 566 Columbus Avenue | South End

First closing was Tuesday. $1.675m for a 1370 square foot two bedroom with one deeded parking space so this is looking like a much more accessible price point than a lot of the other new construction in recent years.

LOL, I get your point -- the cost per square foot is lower than most other new South End construction. But the idea that $1,222 per square foot is accessible is hard to stomach. It's completely not accessible for almost everybody.

As 8/13/23

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 165
Just when I thought it couldnt get any better that splash of light colored brick at ground level lightens it up a little bit and gives it just enough pop. I figured they were going to go black, but this actually looks better. 🤌 Chefs kiss.

I agree, this building is really great.

One blemish I keep wondering about is the curb cut and parking garage. This is minor, but South End has so few curb cuts for cars. And it's really nice to be able to walk down whole blocks without any cars cutting past you, or cars backing up across the sidewalk, or garage doors loudly beeping for pedestrians to get out of the way.

I know the curb cut was preexisting. Does anyone know how hard it would have been for this project to get a new curb cut in this neighborhood if it didn't already exist? The rule seem to be it's "at the city's discretion."

Imagine a million of these across the city. This is what I imagine modern masonry buildings would have looked like today if we had never stopped building them and the style progressed as time went on. A city full of these and other modern masonry styles the same way the back bay is full of buildings from that time period would be a really cool place.

Imagine a million of these across the city. This is what I imagine modern masonry buildings would have looked like today if we had never stopped building them and the style progressed as time went on. A city full of these and other modern masonry styles the same way the back bay is full of buildings from that time period would be a really cool place.
It would be great to replace the one to two story commercial buildings lining the main streets around the Boston area with buildings like this one, providing large numbers of residential units plus commercial/retail on the street floor. Tax incentives and proper zoning might do the trick.

This is a fantastic building, but the only thing I'm not wild about is that white stone on the ground floor. Is that granite? It just seems a bit out of place to my eyes.

Back