Harrison Ave Hotel | 15 Harrison Avenue

Fast facts:
- 26 stories (height unknown)
- 126 standard rooms + 6 suites
- No kitchen/room service to encourage people to explore Chinatown

Hotel proposed for Harrison Avenue at CNC meeting
By Ling-Mei Wong 黃靈美 2016/03/24

CNC.png

Jeff Drago and Matthew Eckel of law firm Drago and Toscano showed plans for a hotel for 15 Harrison Avenue. The proposed 26-storey hotel would replace the current five-floor building on a 3,400 square-foot lot. A total of 126 hotel rooms and six suites are planned, with no kitchen for room service. The hotel would create 25 to 30 jobs.

“This is in the heart of Chinatown,” Drago said. “We want people to go out to the Chinatown community.”

The project planners sought community input, as the hotel is in the design stage.

http://sampan.org/2016/03/hotel-proposed-for-harrison-avenue-at-cnc-meeting/

Design looks pretty awful.

looks like they're doing some "pagoda influenced" stuff with the design, which will either come off as creatively referential to the neighborhood or tacky. regardless, it'll be more interesting than an unadorned box.

People think designs like that are acceptable?

The site is right but the design is wrong wrong wrong.

I'm just glad that there is a plan to get rid of the condemned building on that street though I was hoping this project would include the adjacent parking lot as well. I wonder how the residents of 660 Washington St would react to this since this tower is going to be approximately the same height and would only be a stone throw away.

Could be worse ... could be a giant cobra. (go ahead ... google it)

cca

I wonder how the residents of 660 Washington St would react to this since this tower is going to be approximately the same height and would only be a stone throw away.

All rentals, no? The design does look like it came direct from Shenzhen or Hangzhou. Eek

This design would be tacky for China, but is unconscionable for BOSTON's Chinatown.

I like it. Its bold. Maybe not in the best way, but eh.

I like the roofline tbh, but the crazy lines and patterns happening on the rest of it need to be toned down. I mean if you want to go with a red and cream scheme fine but don't put the random glass facade and especially not in blue like that. Also keep your red accents to accents not half the building front. When I have time later I may draw something in photoshop as an alternative design to try and find a more tasteful way to reference Chinese cultural motifs.

I like the idea of a building in Chinatown having strong Asian influences in its design...but wow. There has to be a happy medium out there, and this certainly isn't it.

Also, I swear that this proposal has come up before (I seem to remember its awfulness) but I searched around and couldn't find it. If someone finds it, feel free to share the link and we can merge the threads.

Let's just build that instead. Everyone wins, except Logan.

stick n move I think you were being a little sarcastic?

If you can find a worse proposal I'm all ears. I cant think of anything off the top of my head.

Back on topic though, the roof could be kind of cool. I just think the color palette is terrible. If this was like a black glass tower with this roof but the roof was bronze, that could actually look pretty cool and still vibe with the whole china thing going on here. Maybe throw some bronze accenting at the entrance too with like a pagoda style roof over the door...idk.

Link is already broken:

http://sampan.org/2016/03/hotel-proposed-for-harrison-avenue-at-cnc-meeting/

So someone deliberately took it down less than, what, 3 hours after it was published live.

A development in the heart of *gentrifying* Chinatown, with community activists howling over adverse effects of all the new development... I'm shocked, just shocked that the posting would have been scuttled in such unseemly & suspicious haste.

But does that mean the development is dead--or should I say, stillborn?

I just whipped this up in probably 2 minutes and 30 seconds which is pretty evident...but maybe some cross bracing like a lot of chinese towers have, some dark glass, and a bronze roof?

Stuck to the same general shape of the tower...idk it still sucks but at least its interesting.

Pagoda Crown?

Pagoda the whole shit?

Last edited:

Back