Canopy by Hilton (née Haymarket Hotel) | Blackstone St | Parcel 9 | Greenway

Re: Parcel 9 - The Greenway

I deleted the picture by accident but this site is barricaded off and looked like it may be starting soon?

I hope so, but I've seen various signs that have given me hope it's starting for years (fences, equipment on the site, etc.). So I'm not holding my breath.

I want to call this area a forgotten little corner except it's so damn centrally located. All the more surprising how long it's sat.

I want to call this area a forgotten little corner except it's so damn centrally located. All the more surprising how long it's sat.
Must be the longest foreplay for over-indulged, underwhelming infill in world history.
Unfortunately, there have been numerous other examples.

Last edited:
^ also says its u/c!!

“The development team behind a 212-room Hilton-branded hotel planned at 111 North Street near the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway has started construction on the project.”

...”expects to wrap the $125 million building by the middle of 2021.”

So that’s the design? Looks like a college dorm building that got lost on the way back from the kegger.

There was a beautiful modernist proposal but the screamers in the Cult of Contextualism threatened to not eat their vegetables unless a dull lump that "looks like it's always been there" be built to appease them.

BOS-CANOPY-HOTEL-HILTON-resized.jpg

Looks fine to me, a brick low rise along the greenway. Whats the prob?

Not everything needs to scream “look at me”. I think this will look like it belongs on day 1 and thats great, especially for this spot. A brick low rise around other brick low rises, appropriate and contextual.

^Agree. I like the restraint on this block, though I remember thinking all the options were interesting. One element I believe they all shared - signage. A big one. I wonder what happened to that? I believe that would work here too.

IMO, it was never in the cards to build something that was non-contextual here. Too many historic landmarks, including the Blackstone Block National Historic District.

The Ebenezer Hancock House is located at the corner of Marshall St. and Creek Lane within the so-called Blackstone Block, bounded by Union, North, Hanover, and Blackstone Streets. Wedged between Government Center, Dock Square and Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and the Central Artery, this small area is in fact a group of miniature blocks set into an intact 17th century street pattern containing buildings of heterogeneous type, style, date, and scale. Two 18th century structures, the Hancock House and the Union Oyster House at 41-43 Union Street, survive on the block, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
[Emphasis mine]

Is this really "contextual" though? Sure the outside might be of a similar coloring - but the massing of a single building sprawling across this whole block is the opposite of what the blackstone block and north end is about.

(realizing that nearby fanueil hall might be considered a similar massing but they function much more as a dozen separate buildings that just happen to be attached, rather than 1 monolith)

Id say so yeah. To the right you have the Boston public market, to the left you have the dock square garage, one more lot down is marketplace center. Its actually small compared to its neighbors on the greenway. Its really intended to be the outdoor extension of the public market, with the renovated street and vendor stalls that comes with the project, so with that I do think it is contextual. The S shaped building above I think helps to break up the massing where its not just a brick wall up to the street also. Different strokes for different folks though, as with anything.

Last edited:

Back