Historic Portland Discussion

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Seeing as lots of individual threads have shared historic photos. I'm creating a thread for discussing Portland's past.

Feel free to share historic photos, maps, drawing or any other local history content here!

1277024_205728739595221_229703259_o.jpg

And I'll kick off the thread with one of my favorites of Congress Street courtesy of the the Detroit Publishing Company. I'm guessing around 1915 due to the vehicles and the completion of the Fidelity Building in 1910.

One of the the things that I love most about this scene is this building....Federal Style architecture never really caught on for commercial buildings in Portland and to me this building looks out-of-place in a pleasant way.
1679578820619.png

Whereas Fedeal style commercial buildings became the dominant architectural style in downtown Bangor.

1679578904400.png

One of the the things that I love most about this scene is this building....Federal Style architecture never really caught on in Portland and to me this building looks out-of-place in a pleasant way.

I agree and though I was happy for a new high rise when 511 Congress Street was built in 1975, it's ashame that the three structures to the right of Mechanics Hall had to be demolished.

What building was where the Maine Historical Society is today? I love a good mansard - and that one has spires on the dormers :eek: Do any other views of this exist?

Wow, that ~1915 shot is incredible - would love to have that in a higher resolution!
Looks like the photographer was named Shorpy and the Detroit Publishing Company put out a book many years ago with downtown shots from that time frame of cities around the country. I use this as my screen saver and will replace it with a new skyline photo once 201 Federal Street is completed.

Last edited:
397662_469029169828181_1097360091_n.jpg

Just for you nomc. It's still the same building and Day's modernized it in the 50's and sadly removed the upper level. Then the Curtain Shop took it over and brought to another level of unattractiveness.
123571822_3586558014741932_3004360883778948197_n.jpg

Sadly this is another example of beautiful buildings I would much rather still see than 511 Congress street with it's ugly brown exterior and wasteful fat bottom.

The taller buildings in Portland should have all been built closer together for a city core. And 511 should have just nixed the fat bottom and added 5 more stories instead. Same with One City Center. These designs are stupidly wasteful when they could have built taller, more attractive, and more meaningful structures.

Portland has been so stupid and visionless. Yes, there's a lot that wasn't worth saving (and I'm not some staunch preservationist), but the planning and placement is just idiotic. Meanwhile we've had barren lots by Portland Square of Top of the Old Port for decades. Would have been smarter to just build a cluster of tall buildings closer to each other.

461696_356302047767561_644559182_o.jpg
OIP.xbx-i5s9x74P-_YOFuHfkwHaJ4 2.jpeg

This has to be the worst modernization of a historic building in Portland in my opinion. The removal of the corner tower was unforgivable and I've often wondered if the cladding could be removed to bring the structure back to its original glory.

View attachment 35602View attachment 35603
This has to be the worst modernization of a historic building in Portland in my opinion. The removal of the corner tower was unforgivable and I've often wondered if the cladding could be removed to bring the structure back to its original glory.
I had to really think about what building this was, wow.

The newly built Franklin towers in 1969.

Despite the Franklin Arterial project (Still under construction in this photo) You can still see a lot of old rowhouses and commercial buildings lining Pearl and Congress Streets. Really highlights how a whole mini-neighborhood was lost between City Hall and Franklin

1679583457776.png

Sadly this is another example of beautiful buildings I would much rather still see than 511 Congress street with it's ugly brown exterior and wasteful fat bottom.

The taller buildings in Portland should have all been built closer together for a city core. And 511 should have just nixed the fat bottom and added 5 more stories instead. Same with One City Center. These designs are stupidly wasteful when they could have built taller, more attractive, and more meaningful structures.

Portland has been so stupid and visionless. Yes, there's a lot that wasn't worth saving (and I'm not some staunch preservationist), but the planning and placement is just idiotic. Meanwhile we've had barren lots by Portland Square of Top of the Old Port for decades. Would have been smarter to just build a cluster of tall buildings closer to each other.
I'll agree to disagree on 511 because it's genuinely my favorite tower from that era, and that includes the plaza where I spent many hours in Bookland and Deering Ice Cream. I do think it looked better with the original Maine Savings "ONE" signage on the mechanical cover.

Beyond that, the "human scale" (i.e., shorter buildings) argument was very powerful in Portland for a very long time. Couple that with the overall goal of being the financial and legal center for a state of roughly a million mostly poor people and the extra costs of building higher, and the fact that many of these early towers were built on or near the site of the respective banks' existing headquarters, and the way it evolved makes sense.

511 Congress: Maine Savings, earlier office survives largely intact on Casco St.
1 Monument Square: Casco Bank, HQ was on Exchange (signage still visible I believe)
2 Monument Square: I believe Maine Guaranty moved in here, on the site of their former HQ, after it was built
The one with the post office next to 201 Federal: Modernized HQ for Maine National Bank, original building next door on Exchange
Canal Plaza: Canal Bank, which was purchased by Depositors Trust (HQ in the building where Enterprise Car Rental is now near Marginal Way & Forest Ave.), shortly before they in turn were bought by Key Bank. Their former HQ is across Middle St., signage still visible.

Portland Savings made a big deal out of NOT spending money on a fancy new building in that era even as they adopted new marketing dress as "THE BANK... Portland Savings." They wouldn't move out of the Time & Temp building until the 80's, as Peoples Heritage, when they went to One Portland Square.

255461_421515061246259_1349298934_n.jpg

Not so pretty Portland around 1971 and a reminder that not all buildings are financially or historically suitable for saving.

Back