Hobson's Landing | Aloft Hotel | 383 Commercial Street | Portland

The Week recently did a "6 First-Rate Homes in Portland, Maine" featurette, and one of the ones they included is a penthouse here that's listed at $2.4 million. Looking at the other listings on the page, they're all super high end.

The Week recently did a "6 First-Rate Homes in Portland, Maine" featurette, and one of the ones they included is a penthouse here that's listed at $2.4 million. Looking at the other listings on the page, they're all super high end.
That observation deck blocking the view from the living room is a no-go for me. Especially at that price.

Why in the heck is that observation deck even needed? To see the street below? The views without it seem great. I couldn't care less about looking at the street below if I owned that.

I wonder... if the deck is part of the penthouse condo (i.e., not common property), did the current owners add the second level? It looks like it's literally blocking some of the access to the deck AND (going by the Google Maps aerial) it's the only unit that has one.

Why in the heck is that observation deck even needed? To see the street below? The views without it seem great. I couldn't care less about looking at the street below if I owned that.
I'm guessing the individual just had to be 4 feet higher than everyone else?

8E23C0AD-ED87-4D55-97A5-0D29D4E5F547.jpeg

3BR listed for $1,995,000 million and not the top floor. Blah on the interior design with this model, but the views are good. I'd choose to be nearer the Old Port for this price. And the apartments in the building behind lots all its views. This thing is a behemoth.

hobson1.jpg
hobson2.jpg
hobson3.png
hobson4.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one where he built that extra platform that blocks a good chunk of the light coming into the living room.

When (not if) there is a turn in the other direction for the real estate market....it could get real ugly for some Portland property owners (glub glub).

Now I'm somewhat confused; the wide shot with the indicator shows a different apartment from the one with the elevated platform, which is shown in the other two exterior photos. Strange.

So far as design choices go, my belief (based entirely on the fact that it's the only apartment that has one) is that the platform was a homeowner addition. Maybe it gave them just enough lift over the adjacent wing to see the cruise ships.

Now I'm somewhat confused; the wide shot with the indicator shows a different apartment from the one with the elevated platform, which is shown in the other two exterior photos. Strange.

So far as design choices go, my belief (based entirely on the fact that it's the only apartment that has one) is that the platform was a homeowner addition. Maybe it gave them just enough lift over the adjacent wing to see the cruise ships.
The elevated platform was put there by the developer. It was in place prior to the unit being placed on the market.

The elevated platform was put there by the developer. It was in place prior to the unit being placed on the market.
Seriously? Was it on the original plans? If so, then I'm guessing that the hotel really does block the view enough that they added it to meet some "views from every penthouse deck" marketing promise.

I don't like this view much. The best views are from the back of 218 Washington. Great views of the skyline and sunset. Hobson's Landing primarily looks out at the working waterfront.

Back