Holb?k Kasba - A different look at the city grid

unterbau

Reaction score
http://archidose.blogspot.com/2008/03/half-dose-45-holbk-kasba.html

Today's Archidose contained a plan for a harbor community with a fresh rethinking of the city grid we're so used to seeing.

Holb?k Kasba

Holb?k is a city in Denmark's Sj?lland region, sitting on the banks of a fjord. Not surprisingly, the city has an active seaport with a harbor for a ferry crossing to Norway, among other uses. When the Danish Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) was confronted with a project on this waterfront they asked, "how do you combine the harbor areas on the big scale with intimacy and sensory experiences on the human scale?"

hd45a-49tscg53p.jpeg

[view of model looking NW, with their Hotel in Holb?k Harbor in the top right]

This query into finding a balance between the large and small scales, the urban and the architectural, the abstract and the phenomenological, is one that could easily be applied to other urban areas; in effect it could be the question for architects facing ever-larger projects in cities. Here the program is for 13,500 sm (145,000 sf) of primarily residential space, composed of 100 units divided equally among 2br and 3br types.

hd45b-1jdlq9e8.jpeg

[modifying the "ideal" to the local]

BIG started with a generic grid of equal-sized plots of consistent height, "a dense and low kasbah of dwellings that have been twisted and turned thus creating a labyrinth of small open spaces and hiding places for life, play and socializing between the houses." This consideration of the space between buildings -- clearly more interesting in the modified plan than the generic grid -- is something Jan Gehl would definitely appreciate.

hd45c-49tsdbuw8.jpeg

[overhead view of model with north to the bottom]

Additionally the somewhat regular or patterned grouping of buildings that is the outcome of the twisting and turning (evident in the model view above) is built atop an artificial hill created by a parking garage below the houses. This affords the residents of the high, middle units views over the next tier, who have views over the next tier, etc.

hd45d-49tsduv45.jpeg

[different unit types and their plan distribution]

The residential units are composed of complex, interlocking pieces that afford most of the units different frontages, and therefore multiple exposures, views and relationships to the spaces between the buildings.

hd45e-49tse2bqj.jpeg

[in the kasbah]

Architecturally, the project needs development. The flat white boxes with large openings convey ideas of simplicity, transparency and connection, but the architects shouldn't forget that the "intimacy and sensory experiences on the human scale" includes the tactile quality of the walls and other architectural surfaces. Nevertheless it's easy to grasp a sense of the awareness one would have moving up and down the slopes between the buildings; as well one can imagine the smells wafting from the different houses, competing with each other in the Danish kasbah.

hd45f-49tsefh5s.jpeg

["nighttime" view of model]

Cool post. What if Ikea designed a neighborhood? The common green areas seem interesting, but in America, I think we're too "I-me-mine" for that to function well.

ablarc -- Would you say this could be a modern interpretation of Poundberry?

unterbau -- any info on the interiors of the units?

Fake organity, and it will be very hard to redevelop the tiny irregular blocks once this gets out of style (Boston blocks are bigger, but these are just way too small). So this is a NO-GO for me.

I like irregular blocks, as they result in flatirons and other unusually-shaped buildings.

Is there a purpose to rearranging the grid this way, or is it just some paean to fractal geometry? Boston's spaghetti streets are more surprising/interesting; grids of all kinds eventually get tiresome.

czsz said:
Boston's spaghetti streets are more surprising/interesting; grids of all kinds eventually get tiresome.

Agreed; the exception to the grid rule is San Francisco. It would be interesting to see these ideas employed on a site where the natural topography (as opposed to the artificial "hill" of the parking structure) could influence the grid.

czsz said:
Is there a purpose to rearranging the grid this way(?)

Traffic calming? Creating intimate, sheltered spaces?

Sure, but you could achieve traffic calming and intimacy in many ways. Why this fractal system, specifically?

It got 'em some ink...

I think the larger question is, are these good or shitty ideas? If the design and materials of the units are poor, than the rest of it just falls to the ground.

It'd be interesting to run a study were you put people in neighborhoods with a straight grid, a completely random layout, and this layout to see how they felt. I think there's something to be said for the grid in terms of ease of use, and I think there's something to be said for a completely random layout in terms of creating unique spaces. It would be interesting to find out how people felt about living in a neighborhood like the one above because, it's still a pattern (like a grid) so with a little thought you could navigate easily, yet it's awkward enough to create some uniqueness from block to block. Unfortunately for us, it's probably be hard to run that study without doing something unethical - damn ethics! Maybe we could make a couple of monkey towns?!

What will it be like to walk through this neighborhood? It seems like it would be very easy to get disoriented because there aren't really long sightlines like you get with a grid.

Wouldn't it be just like walking through the North End (with more predictability)?

Probably... although I always get lost in the North End!

Back