Holocaust Museum Boston | 125 Tremont Street | Downtown

Part of the point with this program is to clash and make passersby take notice. Otherwise, it will be too easy to dismiss or minimize the horrors of the Holocaust.

I like contextual urban planning and architecture.

Vandalism of those two tenets for the mere purpose of attention is not what I think of as a "public good". Others may feel differently.

(Btw, early 1980's graduate of the old Hawes St campus of the Hebrew College's Prozdor section, and three survivors in my family, so I'm as interested as anyone in never minimizing the horrors of the Holocaust - - I just don't think we need to shit on urbanity and contextual architecture to do so. It could be done in a positive way without being a negative to the public realm - we're talking education about the Holocaust for Boston, not a punishment).

Last edited:
I like contextual urban planning and architecture.

Vandalism of those two tenets for the mere purpose of attention is not what I think of as a "public good". Others may feel differently.

(Btw, early 1980's graduate of the old Hawes St campus of the Hebrew College's Prozdor section, and three survivors in my family, so I'm as interested as anyone in never minimizing the horrors of the Holocaust - - I just don't think we need to shit on urbanity and contextual architecture to do so. It could be done in a positive way without being a negative to the public realm - we're talking education about the Holocaust for Boston, not a punishment).

Count me as an "others"... surveying that row, 129 Tremont (at the Winter St. corner) is clearly a gem, but 128 & 127 Tremont strike me as quite generic, bland, unremarkable. Ditto that for 120 Tremont, the SU Law School. You can overdo it on "respectable dialogue/contextuality with neighbors"... so, I welcome this design, for adding something new and different and alleviating the tedium of that row.

Count me as an "others"... surveying that row, 129 Tremont (at the Winter St. corner) is clearly a gem, but 128 & 127 Tremont strike me as quite generic, bland, unremarkable. Ditto that for 120 Tremont, the SU Law School. You can overdo it on "respectable dialogue/contextuality with neighbors"... so, I welcome this design, for adding something new and different and alleviating the tedium of that row.

Fair enough (y). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see it as an almost windowless (save for the top-floor and one asymetric jut out) ice cube wall fortress. I like windows, but respect that some prefer walls.

Back