How many women/girls are registered with this site? Zero?

awood91

Reaction score
as a male architecture/development enthusiast it dawned on me, I'm pretty sure that there are no females here at all!! if you are female and just happen to be really good at hiding it, would you please let us know now? and everyone else, why are there no women here?

No women here because generally women are socialized not to be interested in these sorts of things or discussions. And when there is a rare instance of a woman architect or construction worker etc, they are so wrapped up in working extra hard in their profession (something to prove, i think) that they have little time left over for foruming. My opinion only, of course.

i forgot to say that my mom is an architect... interesting?

Female architects make an average of 5k more a year than male architects.

Patrick said:
No women here because generally women are socialized not to be interested in these sorts of things or discussions.

Be careful Patrick. You could lose a big job at Harvard for talk like that. :lol:

Lurker said:
Female architects make an average of 5k more a year than male architects.

That would surprise me a lot, as usually it is the other way around in most professional occupations. Canb I ask where you heard that?

statler said:
Patrick said:
No women here because generally women are socialized not to be interested in these sorts of things or discussions.

Be careful Patrick. You could lose a big job at Harvard for talk like that. :lol:

haha, but "socialized" and inherently" are different things. `

Yeah we seem to have this issue at most sites that discuss these matters. There are about 5 girls that post with any regularity at skyscraperpage. There is also a high gay population there.

I noticed a high gay population at urban planet, too. could have just been my perception, though, and not objective reality through the numbers... not sure about here, which seems to have some people who are gay, but not as many as stood out at UP. Probably just a coincidence that there are so many at UP, but could be cause its a bigger site, too. Anyhow, I think being gay, even though not typically thought of as being as 'masculine' as a straight guy, still puts you into a diff category than a woman in terms of socialization to like particular hobbies. i.e. despite having the orientation of most women, gay men still have the socialization process of most men, thus explaining their presence on these forums...i think the socialization to like construction and bulldozers and tall buildings begins way before sexual orientation is realized.

I think women are INHERENTLY less likely to like things like skyscrapers and such. Men like big, physical things, like buildings, women are inherently not interested in such things. Sorry to not be PC, but men and women are different. Hence the different body parts.

But women like big men, don't they? If you look at personal ads on craigslist, I think the number one physical attribute listed by women is = TALL. So women do like SOME big things.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
I think women are INHERENTLY less likely to like things like skyscrapers and such. Men like big, physical things, like buildings, women are inherently not interested in such things. Sorry to not be PC, but men and women are different. Hence the different body parts.

physical attributes have nothing to do with mental likes and predisposition, otherwise blacks could not like the same things whites did and vice versa...but thats not what we find generally speaking. differences arise from things that are not inherent. socialization. end of story.

Patrick said:
DudeUrSistersHot said:

physical attributes have nothing to do with mental likes and predisposition, otherwise blacks could not like the same things whites did and vice versa...but thats not what we find generally speaking. differences arise from things that are not inherent. socialization. end of story.

aright captain

DudeUrSistersHot said:

your sarcastic acceptance of my point does not in the least detract from the nonsense that spilled from your two index fingers earlier.

you start by giving an opinion: that you THINK women are INHERENTLY less likely to like skyscrapers and the like.

Then you state a fact that is already known: men tend to like construction related things etc.

And then you come back to your original opinion yet this time you state it as if it were fact because you set forth the intervening fact listed above.

So, you think someone should believe women are inherently uninterested in skyscrapers just because, over numbers, men tend to like them more. Well, your not bringing any new information to the table, and I therefore see no reason to change my opinion that the obvious fact of men liking skyscrapers more than women is due to their unique process of socialization, whereby males are raised from an early age to like certain things.....c'mon, how many guys on here had sisters who were given toy peg-in-the-hole hammer sets as toddlers?!?!?

Oh, and p.s. -- nice touch conveying your thoughts in a way that stresses how female and male body parts differ as a result of their inherent psycological differences, rather than, i dunno, perhaps the other way around.

awood91 said:
i forgot to say that my mom is an architect... interesting?

That is interesting. Does she ever read the board?

I know of exactly one female that is a member here. Never posts though. Im sure theres gotta be at least a few other females that visit here.

Back