How Town Hurts Gown

briv

Reaction score
About time someone in the Boston media says this.

From The Globe:

How Town Hurts Gown

If Boston doesn't do more to support higher ed, say goodbye to our position as America's premier college city.

1212779042_6387.jpg
(Illustration by Katy Lemay)
By Tom Keane June 8, 2008

Higher education is Boston's golden goose, the linchpin of our high-tech, knowledge-based economy. It's a goose we often love to hate, kicking it around the barnyard when it annoys us and demanding things we wouldn't really ask of any other bird. And why not? It's not as if the goose is going anywhere, right?

Or maybe it is. Graduation ceremonies have just passed, and things may seem good right now. Yet the Boston area's colleges and universities face tough times. Worse, globalization and the Internet threaten to change fundamentally the ways in which they do business. Someday soon, the goose may fly the coop.

No question, we do enjoy picking on higher ed. State legislators are talking about taxing colleges that have large endowments. In April, as it does almost every year, the Boston City Council targeted colleges' tax-exempt status, trying to force them to pay more into city coffers (churches and hospitals - also tax-exempt - were curiously unaffected by the measure). In March, the city imposed rules (now under court challenge) making it harder for college students to live off campus. At the same time, almost every proposal for a new dorm has met with fierce opposition, so much so that Boston has actually asked colleges to consider stopping growth and freezing enrollments. And then there is the insistent demand for "community benefits" whenever a school does expand. Harvard, for example, agreed to pay $25 million to be allowed to build a new science center in Allston.
Contrast this with the way we treat private businesses. When Genzyme recently began expanding its own operations in Allston, it paid nothing in community community benefits. And did anyone object to its growth? Of course not. Indeed, the state and city both did all they could to encourage that growth. Granted, there are differences between a private business and a college. You'll rarely find Genzyme's customers urinating on your front lawn at 3 a.m., for instance. Nevertheless, the cavalier attitude we have toward higher ed is striking.

In a different era, that might not matter. The problem, though, is that higher ed is in trouble. Applications were at a record high this year, but beginning next year, the baby boom bubble bursts, and the applicant pool will start shrinking. In addition, the number of high school seniors in the region is declining, meaning that for schools merely to keep pace, they will need to attract more students from outside. Yet that's getting ever harder to do. We're proud of our longstanding reputation as America's premier college town, but, in fact, only 16 of the top 125 schools in the country are located in New England, according to US News & World Report. The rest fiercely compete against us not only on the basis of class size, lab space, and faculty, but also on amenities such as dorms. Today's students are no longer satisfied with crowded quads and grungy bathrooms down the hall. Quality of life matters, and prevented from building, Boston schools have a tough time delivering.

Equally problematic is competition from overseas. Foreign students once flocked to New England; now their numbers are down. Some are going to colleges elsewhere in the States. Others are staying home and attending newly built schools there. Our own schools are now building elsewhere as well. Emerson opened a campus in LA. MIT is building in Abu Dhabi, Harvard Medical will soon be in Dubai, and the University of Massachusetts is cutting a deal to offer courses in China. If the students aren't coming to Boston, the schools may as well go to them.

Then there's distance learning. Most colleges now offer online courses; community colleges, in fact, report that online enrollment is growing more than five times faster than on-campus enrollment. Eventually, students and schools will figure out that much of their learning can be done without leaving home.

Maybe, you're thinking, that's a good thing. Who needs those cheeky kids coming here and taking over our neighborhoods? That's one perspective. The other is that, should we lose that fresh blood and new thinking, our cutting-edge economy and vibrant culture will stultify. Rather than pitying the problems of left-behind cities such as Detroit, we'll be living them.
Tom Keane, a freelance writer in Boston, contributes regularly to the Globe Magazine.

E-mail him at tomkeane@tomkeane.com
dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Someone's going to get a spanking from Hizzonah. I wonder who at the Globe let this slip through. Good points he makes, though I wish he would have been a bit more explicit in connecting the dot between the City of Boston/Mayor Menino saying, "you must house XX percent of your student population" and the simultaneous refusal of the City of Boston to provide support to meet that mandate.

It should also be noted that DHS/INS and other issues created by this xenophic administration have affected the number foreign students coming to any school in the states. It's easier for them to attend a satellite school somewhere else in the world (though more expensive, given the dollar's weakness).

Good read.

Why is Umass offering courses in china? Seems like that should be left to the private schools.

that's part of the patrick admin's push there. the governor was in china this winter to push biotech agreements as well (i.e., we'll send more high-skilled, high-paying jobs to you, and you'll allow your people to buy more of our stuff) which seem like they won't be of any benefit to the state. makes you wonder if it's the best use of government dollars. for UMASS or any state school to offer courses exclusively to educate potential economic competitors in another country is also very dubious. i don't know if it would stand in a court if legally challenged.

the article is dead-right, however. treating harvard and the people in north allston as equals, sadly, seems like a losing proposition. and speaking of dubious constitutionality, is it actually within menino's power to prevent students from living in apartments? it seems a bit like using race to prevent people from living in a neighborhood, though not as evil.

^^ the courses are actually online and directed at chinese citizens, not a study abroad program for UMASS students:

UMass Touts New Online Courses for China, but Official Approval May Not Come Easily

By CATHERINE RAMPELL

In a splashy announcement this week, the University of Massachusetts extended an online hand to China. The institution announced that it will offer 40 online courses to students in China in the spring of 2009.

The university has some hurdles to clear first, though. The program hasn't actually been approved by China's increasingly cautious Ministry of Education, and college officials who have been through the ministry-approval process before say UMass probably has a long and bumpy road ahead.

http://chronicle.com/free/2008/04/2369n.htm?rss

No one should really cite Emerson's L.A. campus as a negative. The school has large film and video production programs, and the facilities out there are designed to allow students in those programs to spend a semester interning at a studio or something and attend classes at the same time.

I'm surprised the author brought up the L.A. site but not the castle Emerson own in the Netherlands.

How many days until we see an op-ed from "urban planner" Shirley Kressel in the Globe? Anyone willing to give me odds on this?

There is truth in that article, but not the whole truth. I suppose it would be difficult to complete a thought in so few words as is often the case on internet forums also, but to leave out why people feel a certain way and instead of blaming it on the occasional drunk is not being honest.

^^^^^^^^^^^

So, explain the attitude of the Beacon Hill Neighborhood Association or the residents of the Ritz Towers towards Suffolk University's expansion/attempts to build dorms to house their students.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^

So, explain the attitude of the Beacon Hill Neighborhood Association or the residents of the Ritz Towers towards Suffolk University's expansion/attempts to build dorms to house their students.

I wouldn't know any more than you because I don't live in that area.

Personally, when I do that zig-zag cut thru from Cambridge Street to Brighton Ave in Allston and see what a comparative shit-hole the students have turned that neighborhood into I can understand why people in that area may feel the way they do.

EDIT- I actually support Suffolk on those two points, but again, I don't live there so I don't know enough to speak in absolutes.

I wouldn't know any more than you because I don't live in that area.

Personally, when I do that zig-zag cut thru from Cambridge Street to Brighton Ave in Allston and see what a comparative shit-hole the students have turned that neighborhood into I can understand why people in that area may feel the way they do.

EDIT- I actually support Suffolk on those two points, but again, I don't live there so I don't know enough to speak in absolutes.

The students have deferred maintenance on the properties they rent? I don't think so. That'd be the absentee landlord. Even the relatively local landlords (Harold Brown's cartel) aren't worth a hookers damn when it comes to fixing things or cleaning, never mind performing preventative maintenance.

When they pay thousands of dollars a year to live in a rat/cockroach infested dump, and the landlord is only seen for 10 minutes once a year at the lease signing, how do you think they'll treat the place? Security deposits are the asshole tax on a solid wallet rape. The place was such a dump to begin with, so there's no way that money and the interest will ever be returned. Why not enact a solid amount of fuckup on the place to make it worth the 800 or 1,000 bucks in extra money?

It's a downward spiral, and no amount of legislation on four students per house, no enrollment cap, or anything else will fix this until the city forces the sleazeballs to take responsibility for their properties and for their tenants, AND changes the evicition process to allow landlords to evict in an easier fashion. Landlords justify keeping the security instead of evicting because of the ridiculous laws that are stacked so heavily in favor of the tenant.

Shitty student doesn't pay rent on time 7 months in a row? Shitty student piles trash outside the door instead of at the rubbish bin? Shitty student breaks a window? Shitty student rips up carpet to tack on to the walls for soundproofing? Shitty student throws toilet out back window? Shitty student leaves food all over and attracts infestation to building?

Try and evict them.

I'm not just talking about Allston; there are plenty of shitty properties in the Fenway, South End, Back Bay, and yes, even fancy-pantsy Beacon Hill.

If Boston made it as easy to build dorms as it is to mow a lawn, there may be a solution in sight... but too much power resides with neighbors who'd rather initiate a long, drawn-out process than see the students be put in dorms (including privately owned ones) than see them move out of the run down houses they overpay to live in.

^ But has any other city built as many dorms recently as Boston? There could not be many that have.

About time someone in the Boston media says this.

From The Globe:

How Town Hurts Gown

If Boston doesn't do more to support higher ed, say goodbye to our position as America's premier college city.

By Tom Keane June 8, 2008

Higher education is Boston's golden goose, the linchpin of our high-tech, knowledge-based economy. It's a goose we often love to hate, kicking it around the barnyard when it annoys us and demanding things we wouldn't really ask of any other bird. And why not? It's not as if the goose is going anywhere, right?

Or maybe it is. Graduation ceremonies have just passed, and things may seem good right now. Yet the Boston area's colleges and universities face tough times. [They do not. Arguably, they have never had it so good. Endowments are up, way up. BC was nearly bankrupt 40 years ago. ] Worse, globalization and the Internet threaten to change fundamentally the ways in which they do business. Someday soon, the goose may fly the coop. [The goose is not going anywhere.]

No question, we do enjoy picking on higher ed. State legislators are talking about taxing colleges that have large endowments. [Almost certainly unconstitutional.] In April, as it does almost every year, the Boston City Council targeted colleges' tax-exempt status, trying to force them to pay more into city coffers (churches and hospitals - also tax-exempt - were curiously unaffected by the measure). In March, the city imposed rules (now under court challenge) making it harder for college students to live off campus. [That has nothing to do with the goose.] At the same time, almost every proposal for a new dorm has met with fierce opposition, so much so that Boston has actually asked colleges to consider stopping growth and freezing enrollments. [I thought the reason the city was pushing colleges to build dorms was so that the available housing stock in the city would increase for non-students. BU has built mega-dorms, and Northeastern has built big dorms as well. In Cambridge, Harvard and MIT have built significant student housing.] And then there is the insistent demand for "community benefits" whenever a school does expand. Harvard, for example, agreed to pay $25 million to be allowed to build a new science center in Allston. [One can quibble with community benefits, but they're machts nichts to Harvard. In 25 years, the current community of North Allston will be completely transformed. IMO, its the apprehension of the magnitude of the change that drives much of the community concern.]
Contrast this with the way we treat private businesses. When Genzyme recently began expanding its own operations in Allston, it paid nothing in community community benefits. And did anyone object to its growth? Of course not. Indeed, the state and city both did all they could to encourage that growth. Granted, there are differences between a private business and a college. You'll rarely find Genzyme's customers urinating on your front lawn at 3 a.m., for instance. Nevertheless, the cavalier attitude we have toward higher ed is striking.

In a different era, that might not matter. The problem, though, is that higher ed is in trouble. [Its not.] Applications were at a record high this year, but beginning next year, the baby boom bubble bursts, and the applicant pool will start shrinking. In addition, the number of high school seniors in the region is declining, meaning that for schools merely to keep pace, they will need to attract more students from outside. [This is valid only for those schools whose applicant pool is largely from New England. That is not the case for Harvard, MIT, or the other USN&WR high ranked schools.] Yet that's getting ever harder to do. We're proud of our longstanding reputation as America's premier college town, but, in fact, only 16 of the top 125 schools in the country are located in New England, according to US News & World Report. [I don't know where the 16 comes from. Within the top 10 universities are Harvard, MIT, Yale; within the top 30 universities add Dartmouth, Brown, Tufts. Ten of the top 30 national liberal arts colleges are in New England. Thats 16 out of 60.] The rest fiercely compete against us not only on the basis of class size, lab space, and faculty, but also on amenities such as dorms. [Why not compare the total endowment of the New England 16 against the endowments of the other 44 colleges and universities, and see how New England fares?] Today's students are no longer satisfied with crowded quads and grungy bathrooms down the hall. Quality of life matters, and prevented from building, Boston schools have a tough time delivering. [No mention of financial aid.... hhmmmmm. Its now less expensive for most students to attend a Harvard or Yale than it is to attend a state university. And it often takes an undergraduate 5 to 6 years to get a degree in the University of California system because of too few course openings. The majority cannot finish within four years.]

Equally problematic is competition from overseas. Foreign students once flocked to New England; now their numbers are down. Some are going to colleges elsewhere in the States. Others are staying home and attending newly built schools there. Our own schools are now building elsewhere as well. Emerson opened a campus in LA. MIT is building in Abu Dhabi, Harvard Medical will soon be in Dubai, and the University of Massachusetts is cutting a deal to offer courses in China. If the students aren't coming to Boston, the schools may as well go to them. [The problem is difficulty in securing visas post 9-11. With the depreciated dollar, attending US universities has become cheap. The only real competitive threat is China, which seeks to build universities that would be among the top-ranked in the world.]

Then there's distance learning. Most colleges now offer online courses; community colleges, in fact, report that online enrollment is growing more than five times faster than on-campus enrollment. Eventually, students and schools will figure out that much of their learning can be done without leaving home. [Well if everybody in the future is going to be schooled at home via computer, why bother investing in dorms?]

Maybe, you're thinking, that's a good thing. Who needs those cheeky kids coming here and taking over our neighborhoods? That's one perspective. The other is that, should we lose that fresh blood and new thinking, our cutting-edge economy and vibrant culture will stultify. Rather than pitying the problems of left-behind cities such as Detroit, we'll be living them.
[From what I can see, they're are fewer and fewer cheeky kids in the neighborhoods now than there were in the past, and in the future, there will be fewer still.]

Tom Keane, a freelance writer in Boston, contributes regularly to the Globe Magazine.

E-mail him at tomkeane@tomkeane.com
dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

My two cents in bold above.

Take a minute to Google.... Economic Impact Universities Boston, or something similiar and you'll see that, among other things, that the 8 research universities in the Boston area contribute billions and billions annually to the local economy, employ tens of thousands, etc, etc,.... all done with a minimum of pollution and environmental damage. The study doesn't mention all the rest of the institutions...Suffolk, Emerson, Berklee, Emmanuel, Simmons, etc...and their own economic contributions to the area. Bash em all you want but the fact remains that Universities and Colleges are among the major economic engines that drive the area's economy and the reason that Boston remains so vibrant and central on the national stage.

Take a minute to Google.... Economic Impact Universities Boston, or something similiar and you'll see that, among other things, that the 8 research universities in the Boston area contribute billions and billions annually to the local economy, employ tens of thousands, etc, etc,.... all done with a minimum of pollution and environmental damage. The study doesn't mention all the rest of the institutions...Suffolk, Emerson, Berklee, Emmanuel, Simmons, etc...and their own economic contributions to the area. Bash em all you want but the fact remains that Universities and Colleges are among the major economic engines that drive the area's economy and the reason that Boston remains so vibrant and central on the national stage.

Exactly. If all Boston had was Wayne State, the city would be in the same fix as Detroit.

In the immediate Boston area, IMO, colleges and universities ranked solely as economic engines:

> having MIT and Harvard, located cheek by jowl, are the envy of any other city in the world.

> BU, Tufts, and BC form the next tier. (I'd rank BC 5th because it lacks a medical school, and has no engineering program.)

> Next would be Babson and Northeastern.

> Next would be Wellesley, Brandeis, and eventually Olin.

> Next would be Emerson and Berklee.

> Next, in no particular order, would be Bentley, UMass Boston, Simmons, Emmanuel, Suffolk, Lesley, Wheelock, Wentworth, New England Conservatory of Music, Regis.

> Next would be Curry, Fisher, Lasell, Mass College of Art

^I'd give the edge to BU over Tufts, and both over BC.

My favorite BC story, and the types of students they turn out, comes from the late-1980's, when everyone loved their college team, and by association, the college.

A group of co-workers were standing outside a bar, trying to get it. The club was over-crowded and the bouncer said no one would be allowed inside.

"Maybe this will help," one of them said, taking the BC ring off his finger and showing it to the bouncer.

Um, it didn't.

Back