Hyde Park "Makeover"

statler

Reaction score
Boston Metro - April 23, 2008
Hyde Park to get extreme makeover
Master plan to include rezoning, revitalizing two squares

BOSTON. The city is envisioning a makeover for Hyde Park, including rezoning the neighborhood and revitalizing Cleary and Logan squares with new businesses, more usable green space and a refurbished commuter rail station.

The master plan includes the Boston Redevelopment Authority leading an economic advancement and market study for the neighborhood?s commercial districts, as well as rezoning Hyde Park for the first time in 40 years.

The city will also establish a community task force for both the market study and the rezoning project. Mayor Thomas Menino, who lives in Hyde Park, announced the plan yesterday at a networking breakfast at the River Grille, calling it ?long overdue.?

Planning is in the early stages, and the city will soon release a request for proposals. While the rezoning process could be lengthy, it doesn?t mean the ideas aren?t already flowing.

?I think the biggest thing we?re going to see is a new mix of businesses,? said Patrice Gattozzi, executive director of Hyde Park Main Streets. ?We?re trying to bring in new restaurants, sit-down restaurants.?

Menino said he hopes the market study can help educate small businesses on making storefronts and signs more vibrant and attractive to visitors.

In addition, Mike Davis, an architect at Boston-based Bergmeyer Associates, Inc., was hired to work with the city to help develop a master plan. He said he?d love to see the Hyde Park commuter rail station become more a part of Cleary Square. Davis suggested refurbishing the station?s ramps and stairs, removing a worn-down billboard and pulling the train shed closer to the square.

?You could make a stronger pedestrian connection between this stop and this plaza,? Davis said.

?You could really synergize a lot of activity right here.?

- Greg St. Martin​

Major investment floods the mayor's neighborhood! Color me surprised!

Major investment floods the mayor's neighborhood! Color me surprised!
He's been mayor since 1993 and we're just starting to plan for this in 2008? Doesn't exactly smell fishy to me, especially since Hyde Park could use a little investment.

A shame mayoral regime-change isn't part of the project scope...

Actually, given that he lives there, I wonder what has taken him so long to propose this.

Nice to see Menino looking out for himself for a change

NIMBY'S, NIMBY'S, NIMBY'S!!!!

BOSTON NEEDS A 400 STORY BUILDING!!!!

NEW YORK IS THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Back