If Logan Airport were moved....

Whether or not Atlanta was qualified...do you really believe Boston could host an Olympics right now?

right now is irrelevant as they decide the Olympics well in advanced. The summer 2016 (go Chicago!) Olympics is to be decided by October of next year leaving roughly 6 years for construction.

With that said, it would take maybe double that time for Boston to be ready.

Houston put in a bid for 2016 btw....

Go Chicago!

But no matter, unless they choose 30 years in advance, Boston could never handle the Olympics.

Houston!?! I can't decide if Atlanta or Houston is worse.

About 11 years ago there was a group pushing for a Boston Olympics. Their web site has been dead for years. I remember little of the plan but it included using all the empty(summer) dorms along the Charles as an athletes village connected by water. The main Olympic stadium would be a temporary structure.

With all the colleges in New England there might even be enough stadiums to host all the soccer games here. In the 1984 LA Olympic games Harvard Stadium was used for some early soccer matches.

Both suck.

I did time in bitchlanta from 1992-1996 (was temporarily released during the Olympics and got the hell out of dodge for about 3 months spanning the games themselves and equal time on either side--but was there for the vast majority of the time leading up to the Summer Games in '96).

I do not know what everyone's working definition of 'qualified' is, but if it has anything to do with having the requisite venues, hotels, and infrastructure in place prior to receiving apporval to host a Summer Olympics--the current arguement(s) against Boston being able to host, then that nubbins town of bitchlanta was not qualified when they were awarded the games, several years prior to 1996.

They became marginally-so through a massive construction drive for most of the venues--the Olympic stadium, the swimming center, the athlete's village, the equestrian park, the rowing pool, etc. did not exist when the the bid was awarded (I am sure there are several others that likewise were created for the games, but I am just going off of memory).

When they received the bid, there was a concurrent uptick in the construction of hotels and other such tourist/visitor establishments. The joint was already somewhat of a convention destination, so there was a reasonable amount of this crap already in place.

The news of the Olympics coming to town in 4-5 years or so proved very energizing and uniting and a fairly impressive amount of work towards this was accomplished. THAT would probably be why Boston will likely never host an Olympics because of the dipshits that are presently (and have been and probably will be) in positions of power and authority could not effectively orchestrate the preparation.

All that said, my fingers will be crossed for Chicago.

Why are we all cheering on Chicago? Our new "global president" is set to deprive South America of its first Olympics ever (the Rio bid was heavily favored before his intervention).

What does it matter if Boston never holds the Olympics. The games are overrated for a city anyways. Atlanta was way too commercialized. Sydney is mired in debt to this day, as is Montreal.

On the original topic, what if Logan were to move? Would the South Boston waterfront see tall building about 700 feet? I personally think that is Logan moved to a western suburb a top notch facility could be built.

What does it matter if Boston never holds the Olympics. The games are overrated for a city anyways. Atlanta was way too commercialized. Sydney is mired in debt to this day, as is Montreal.

On the original topic, what if Logan were to move? Would the South Boston waterfront see tall building about 700 feet? I personally think that is Logan moved to a western suburb a top notch facility could be built.
Why engage in fantasy? Logan is not going to move. Where would it move to: Pittsfield? A top notch facility probably requires 4,000 acres. Dulles is about 12,000 acres, about 5,000 acres being used for the airport itself. The remainder is buffer. JFK is over 5,000 acres, with no buffer. Logan is 2,400 acres, including 700 acres of water.

Back