If You Were God/Goddess | Transit & Infrastructure Sandbox

Here's a real question unbefitting of a God Mode thread: Why do we/would we want to remove/preclude a rebuild of a freight connection to our Intermodal port? In a desired future where we can see more trucks removed by rail freight, this seems really short sighted. I get that Boston isn't the Hudson and that those days are gone, but I also don't see why Boston shouldn't have more rail freight for it's growing population.

That's a good point. One of my God Mode changes would be increasing freight service (though somewhere in one of these threads I recall someone, probably F-Line, giving a pretty thorough explanation of why rail isn't terribly competitive specifically to the container terminal, and there's not so much industry other than that down in the Seaport as there used to be).

Long-time listener, first-time caller, but this op-ed in Commonwealth Magazine (https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/stop-repairing-tobin-bridge-replace-it-with-a-tunnel/) and a point @Riverside made up-thread about starting from what we wish we could have and working backwards to what's realistic got me thinking.

The "reasonable" bit: In this day and age, and especially with the current and likely future transit needs in Chelsea and Everett, if you were going to replace the Tobin with a tunnel, I would think you couldn't get away with a project like a Tobin replacement tunnel without building in a transit component. A built-from-scratch harbor crossing pointed straight at a rapid transit desert is just too big of an opportunity to miss.

The question that elevates this to the God-Mode thread: Assuming, for the sake of argument, that Beacon Hill buys the argument of an ex-Turnpike Authority and ex-Massport board member who may not have any sway beyond Winthrop Town Hall, what possibilities does this open up for a new subway line? It seems like there are a number of things you might want to connect with a line that crosses the harbor here (in order from north to south), either with the train itself or a short bus ride from the train:
  1. Overlook Ridge and the Linden Square area (Giant new Amazon warehouse, the multifamily housing and big, developable parcels along Squire Road in Revere, plus potentially even park-and-ride traffic from Route 1)
  2. Either the Broadway corridor in Everett or the 111 bus corridor through Chelsea
  3. Either Everett's growing Commercial Triangle and the commuter rail/SL3 interchange there or Chelsea Square and its existing bus connections and many transit-dependent riders
  4. The Charlestown Navy Yard and the redevelopment of the old Bunker Hill projects, or the proposed Domino Sugar site redevelopment
Once you get close to the CBD, it would seem that you have a tricky problem to solve about where to go next: Another radial route using Congress Street to aim for the Seaport and Southie, or Dorchester via the Fairmount Line and South Station? Or make like a fishhook and swing through Kendall towards places like Longwood and Nubian, taking a page from the Urban Ring to create a semi-circumferential line? "Tricky," because I'm assuming that decision might well rest on the cost each routing.

Could you realistically expect to keep the TBM going past the vicinity of a Tobin-replacement tunnel? Could you even pursue any of these routes without running into an NSRL tunnel?

I would think the transformative potential of finally having circumferential rapid transit and NSRL's potential to turn the Fairmount Line into something close to rapid transit would settle the argument in favor of a Kendall-Kenmore-Longwood-Nubian-?? routing, but maybe I'm missing something.

Once you get close to the CBD, it would seem that you have a tricky problem to solve about where to go next: Another radial route using Congress Street to aim for the Seaport and Southie, or Dorchester via the Fairmount Line and South Station? Or make like a fishhook and swing through Kendall towards places like Longwood and Nubian, taking a page from the Urban Ring to create a semi-circumferential line? "Tricky," because I'm assuming that decision might well rest on the cost each routing.

Could you realistically expect to keep the TBM going past the vicinity of a Tobin-replacement tunnel? Could you even pursue any of these routes without running into an NSRL tunnel?

I would think the transformative potential of finally having circumferential rapid transit and NSRL's potential to turn the Fairmount Line into something close to rapid transit would settle the argument in favor of a Kendall-Kenmore-Longwood-Nubian-?? routing, but maybe I'm missing something.

Hello, and welcome to (posting on) ArchBoston!

Some others here can probably give you a more thorough response (looking at you, Riverside ;)), but I'll give my two cents. Somewhere in the Crazy Transit Pitches thread (I'll add a link if I can find it) there was a discussion about Tobin-routed tunneling and possibilities for where it goes once it reaches Boston proper.

I think it'd definitely be possible not to run into the NSRL alignment. The NSRL would be extremely deep beneath the Central Artery tunnel, and at railroad grades it will take a considerable distance for the approach tracks to reach the surface (which is part of why they're so expensive), meaning there's a good chunk of room to play with to shiv another tunnel in above the NSRL's northern approach, probably on a good alignment for adding a bit of service to Charlestown to boot.

A Chelsea-Kendall-Kenmore-Nubian route would have to have transfers, Community and Lechmere being the best-guess candidates (and Community might be tricky on account of the NSRL incline getting closer to the surface the closer we get to Boston Engine Terminal). Someone with engineering/tunneling knowledge would have to answer whether it'd even be possible (let alone feasible) to blast a TBM through Cambridge as the crow flies to Kendall, because if not the only significant ROW there is the Grand Junction. We've had differing opinions on this board about the feasibility of tunneling the GJ, though if there isn't a portal anywhere in Cambridge it's probably at least mildly more feasible (its western end is built on fill in the river basin, and proximity to the Red Line makes it a doubly-problematic flood risk). Kenmore-Longwood-Nubian is a lot more tunneling, some of it without readily-identifiable ROWs, so I think on the whole that rightly consigns this particular alignment to God Mode rather than Crazy Transit Pitches, maybe unless it was explicitly a phased build only as far as Kenmore in the first instance.

A Congress Street alignment, wherever it takes you after that, has the advantage of having a clear ROW with a number of options of where to go from the South Station vicinity that don't necessarily have as many excruciatingly-difficult questions on the tunneling as does the Kenmore-Nubian quadrant of the circumferential line. Running down to Nubian would provide a proper replacement for the old Elevated at last, and allow for a significant improvement of bus service south of Nubian by adding a new trunk line to serve the demand. Running to the Seaport would take some of the load off the Red Line and allow for some operational improvements to the Silver Line by making it be able to focus on its off-Transitway operations. Eating Fairmount (though that might not be possible outside of God Mode, at least without some payments to CSX if they've still got rights over it) would allow that corridor to have subway-level service without being dependent on the megaproject NSRL.

There's a lot of options, and it's absolutely worth discussing a transit tube in any future Tobin tunnel, though honestly I'd argue (moderators can move this if deemed appropriate) that most of these are Crazy Transit Pitches (or even maybe Reasonable Transit Pitches in some instances) rather than God Mode, because a lot of these are potentially feasible without God Mode rules. Regardless, great first post, thanks for kicking off the conversation.

I know RedX has been much discussed with an alignment taking over the GL to Medford in some distant future, but what if it turned after NS and followed a Tobin tunnel alignment? You could have a huge transfer station at Chelsea with a park and ride for Rt 1

I know RedX has been much discussed with an alignment taking over the GL to Medford in some distant future, but what if it turned after NS and followed a Tobin tunnel alignment? You could have a huge transfer station at Chelsea with a park and ride for Rt 1

Certainly feasible in God Mode. It'd probably be feasible in Crazy Transit Pitches terms to find a route that allows service to Chelsea and Everett (maybe swinging from the Tobin alignment along the Eastern Route then under Broadway?), but outside of God Mode we'd have to weigh the relative merits of using one of our limited downtown trunks to serve Chelsea/Everett versus Somerville/Medford (a concern which can be hand-waved per the rules of God Mode here). It might, or might not, make more sense to have Chelsea/Everett be LRT-focused and use a Red-X transit spine for Medford, that would depend on all manner of studies and analyses that don't exist and don't matter for this thread.

I'm not sure how useful a park & ride from Route 1 at Chelsea would be, but that might be because I can't envision dealing with Rt 1's traffic long enough to get to Chelsea. (If we road-dieted the Tobin replacement, though, then I could see it making sense.)

Rather than start a new thread, I figured this would be a better option: Instead of "If you were God" description: If you were Maura Healey, what would your transit expansion priorities entail for your FIRST term? (Assuming the MBTA System is in a general state of good repair. I KNOW, that's CRAZY talk...........but let's assume.) Here is my list in order of my priority:

1. Blue Line Extension to Red Line at Charles Street
2. Blue Line Extension to Lynn
3. Green Line Extension/Spur from D Line to Needham Junction with new stations along Highland Avenue and the just announced Muzi Ford redevelopment.
4. Orange Line Extension to Route 128 or West Roxbury involving discontinued Needham line commuter rail. (Now covered by Green Line extension from Newton)
5. Green Line Extension from Union Square to Porter Square

That would be a nice vision in my opinion. I have a LOT more, but I think this list would be visionary but also accomplishable. (Meaning the funding and start could be accomplished in the first four-year term with a solid vision.)

What are your Maura Healey transit initiatives?

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread, I figured this would be a better option: Instead of "If you were God" description. If you were Maura Healey, what would your transit expansion priorities encompass? (Assuming the MBTA System is in a general state of good repair. I KNOW, that's CRAZY talk...........but let's assume.) Here is my list:

1. Blue-Red Connector
    • With GLX out of the way, this is the big fish to focus on frying
  2. BLX to Lynn
    • This will be transformative for the entire North Shore
  3. New study on Grand Junction LRT
    • There are a lot of ways to build this in phases, e.g. first build:
      • Sullivan-Cambridgeport
      • Sullivan-Allston
      • Lechmere-Cambridgeport
      • Lechmere-Allston
      • Chelsea-Sullivan
      • Chelsea-Cambridgeport
      • etc
    • Understanding evolving ridership patterns (especially in the wake of GLX) will help prioritize which segments to build first
  4. Electrification of Fairmount and Stoughton Lines
    • Stoughton will I think depend partially on decisions being made about South Coast Rail, but so be it -- leaders are elect to lead, so let her lead
  5. Track + platform upgrades to enable 15-min Regional Rail service to Fairmount Line, NEC to Canton Junction, Eastern Route to Salem, Lowell Line to Anderson/Woburn, with 30-min service to Providence and Lowell
    • This list may look arbitrary but is in fact designed to focus on corridors where there is a strong combination of high ridership, interlined services for higher frequencies without short-turns, and a relatively small number of stations that would need upgrades (see spoiler box below)
    • This list would allow the public to see the benefits of Regional Rail relatively quickly, which would increase support for the larger capital projects needed to implement system-wide, including electrification
  6. East-West Rail
    • Set a high goal in the medium term (e.g 8 daily Boston-Springfield round trips) and a modest goal in the short term (e.g. 4 daily Boston-Springfield round trips -- morning, midday, afternoon, night)
    • The CapeFlyer has/had a refit "first class" coach: use that one, and/or convert a couple other coaches, and/or buy a couple of heritage coaches off of someone, or ask Amtrak really really nicely -- Just. Start. Running. Trains.
  7. Green to Needham and Orange to Roslindale Village and then West Roxbury
    • Long-term, the goal is to remove Needham from the commuter rail network altogether to maximize capacity on the NEC.
    • I suspect this will need to be done in stages: Green to Needham first, with a curtailed commuter rail line terminating at Needham Junction; residents still have access to their "express" ride to South Station while getting accustomed to the flexibility provided by the Green Line. An interim Orange extension to Roslindale Village would help build support for rapid transit conversion on that half of the line, and can eventually set you up for dropping the CR service altogether in favor of the dual rapid transit extensions
  8. Interim D-E surface connector
    • The first step of a "Green Line Reconfiguration", this would be a relatively low-cost way to add additional flexibility to Green Line services, and open up capacity in the subway for...
  9. Green Line to Nubian
    • I dislike having this project all the way down here, despite its importance, but there are reasons:
      • The Blue Line projects have some existing momentum, and in the case of Blue-Red are smaller in scope
      • The Regional Rail and East-West Rail projects can be implemented incrementally and provide early quick wins
      • Converting the Needham Line to rapid transit isn't my favorite project, but from a technical perspective it still is simpler and has a sellable political angle; additionally, removing the Needham Line from the commuter rail network will significantly increase capacity on the NEC, which will have positive impact across the network
      • I think D-E is a necessary prerequisite for F to Nubian, because it enables consolidation of some D and E slots in the Central Subway, opening up capacity
  10. Grand Junction LRT Phase 1
    • Based on the findings of the aforementioned study
(Numerous BRT projects, including BRT on Congress St, would also be on my list, but I believe that Mayor Wu and other local officials can be a largely sufficient advocate for those projects. I would also note that fare reform and AFC 2.0 (or whatever number it's supposed to be) are also priorities but probably fall under "state of good repair", at least in spirit.)

Overall, this agenda can be broken into three pithy "headlines":
  • Expand the Blue Line
  • Modernize our Regional Rail and intercity rail networks
  • Keep expanding the Green Line
Huh. Maybe I should write this up on my blog and start tweeting...

Stations to modernize for Phase 1 Regional Rail, based on list from @The EGE:
  • Fairmount
  • Readville (especially the Fairmount Line platform)
  • Canton Junction
  • Sharon
  • Mansfield
  • Attleboro (in planning)
  • South Attleboro (in progress)
  • West Medford
  • Wedgemere
  • Winchester Center (in progress)
  • Wilmington
  • North Billerica
  • Lowell (currently half-high level)
  • River Works (in planning)
  • Lynn (under construction, sorta)
  • Swampscott
16 stations, out of over 140. A quick glance at the online Blue Book's 2018 numbers suggest that, out of the 63,490 average daily inbound boardings they count, the subset of stations above would account for 21,034 boardings. That means that improvements to 11% of commuter rail stations would provide Regional Rail service to at least a third of commuter rail passengers, with additional passengers seeing knock-on benefits (e.g. outer Rockburyport passengers seeing improved travel times); that's pretty damn good bang-for-buck right there.

1. Interim D-E surface connector
    • The first step of a "Green Line Reconfiguration", this would be a relatively low-cost way to add additional flexibility to Green Line services, and open up capacity in the subway for...
[...]
I think D-E is a necessary prerequisite for F to Nubian, because it enables consolidation of some D and E slots in the Central Subway, opening up capacity
Nitpick: If the only thing being built is a surface connector from Brookline Village to Mission Park (or Brigham Circle to reduce mixed street running), how do you plan to open up capacity in the Central Subway? Would there be, for example, a D-E train from Riverside to Copley Junction and east via Huntington, and a short shuttle from Heath St to Kenmore via Fenway?

Building the Back Bay subway will provide an obvious answer to save capacity for the Central Subway, eliminate Copley Junction, and allow Bay Village station to be designed in conjunction with GL to Nubian. But that would massively enlarge the scale of this project.

2. BLX to Lynn
    • This will be transformative for the entire North Shore
Great post. But Transformative? someone explain this to me. I know it’ll be an important project and bring rapid transit a little bit closer to the heart of the North Shore. But for most on the North Shore going to Central Square is 90% of the way to Wonderland.

To be truly TRANSFORMATIVE the Blue Line needs to go deeper into the North Shore.

South Salem, or at least Vinnin Square.

1. Blue/Red • just because it’s low hanging fruit and would make a big impact

2. North Shore Blue • We’re talking “let’s play god” right? Bring the Blue Line deep into the North Shore and do it right. That means don’t just follow the Commuter Rail path. Express tracks. And tunnel where it’s possible. The North Shore might be one of the most congested regions without rapid transit in a state that HAS rapid transit (long winded phrase but I think you get it). I mean there is traffic EVERYWHERE. From Revere near Northgate to Wonderland to Western Ave Lynn, East Lynn, Peabody near the mall and Peabody Sq, Salem forget it - literally everywhere. Beverly has Rantoul, Dodge, Cabot. It’s a joke. So many spots that would do amazing as HRT stations. Vinnin Square. Downtown Salem. Downtown Beverly. Peabody Square. The 114 stretch in Peabody/Danvers. The problem is getting to most of tho
3. LRT Subway Line for Seaport and beyond • Starts in the Chelsea/Eastie area. Transfer station at Logan with the blue line. Then goes to the Seaport. One stop at FID Kennedy Ave, then one on Seaport Blvd near the Moakley, then South Station transfer with the Red Line, then a transfer at ChinaTown with the orange, Arlington with the Green. Then it goes under Comm Ave beggining at the Commons and going all the way to Kenmore where it takes over B Line

88C627FD-600A-498F-8173-FCFEF70B4560.jpeg

4. Orange Spur to Everett with stop at Encore

5. Extend Orange to Reading

Here is my list in order of my priority:

2. Blue Line Extension to Lynn
3. Green Line Extension/Spur from D Line to Needham Junction with new stations along Highland Avenue and the just announced Muzi Ford redevelopment.
4. Orange Line Extension to Route 128 or West Roxbury involving discontinued Needham line commuter rail. (Now covered by Green Line extension from Newton)
5. Green Line Extension from Union Square to Porter Square

What are your Maura Healey transit initiatives?
Really you're splitting into system expansion vs system optimization projects. Splitting them so they're not fighting over funding is the real "God Mode" initiative.

1. Optimization (combining lines or optimizing bus network)
- Red-Blue connection
- GLX2 to Rt16/West Medford
- GLX3 to Porter/Fresh Pond
- OLX to West Roxbury
- OLX to Wyoming Hill

2. Major Expansion
- BLX to Lynn
- GLX new spur to Needham
- OLX to Dedham
- OLX to Reading
- BL Split to Chelsea
- BLX West (My God Mode: HarvAllston then Watertown)

3. Electrification and NS Connection Prep

In a first term, the things I would set in motion would be:

1. BLT+. This is a 10-20 year series of projects that, IMO, should be done in quick succession/concurrently
a. Red-Blue Connector with provision for Riverbank Subway (I don't think any of us will see a Riverbank Subway in our lifetimes)
b. Tighten screws on Massport to finally get their shit together about APM between Blue Line and terminals. Red-Blue will move more passengers to Airport by Blue, and the current solution at Logan isn't acceptable.
c. Convert Blue Line to as close as reasonably possible to Orange train lengths
d. Blue to Lynn

2. Electrified Urban Rail on Fairmount
Building a "starter" line will increase political pressure to build more Regional/Urban rail on other corridors in Term 2

3. East-West/Inland Route
This is some of the lowest hanging fruit outside of 128 and 495 and if I was governor I would prioritize it the name of political expediency.

In Term 2 I would go for SCR Phase 2, Nubian, and starting northside electrification.

Last edited:
Really you're splitting into system expansion vs system optimization projects. Splitting them so they're not fighting over funding is the real "God Mode" initiative.

1. Optimization (combining lines or optimizing bus network)
- Red-Blue connection
- GLX3 to Porter/Fresh Pond
- OLX to West Roxbury
- OLX to Wyoming Hill

2. Major Expansion
- BLX to Lynn
- GLX new spur to Needham
- OLX to Dedham
- OLX to Reading
- BL Split to Chelsea
- BLX West (My God Mode: HarvAllston then Watertown)

3. Electrification and NS Connection Prep

Good points. I would lean toward your list #1 for "Optimization" projects. However, OLX to West Roxbury seems to require shutting down the Needham Commuter rail, thus the need for GLX to Needham. (Maybe I'm wrong, and there is enough right-of-way for both on the existing Needham line?) Also, is OLX to Wyoming Hill really optimization? It doesn't seem that necessary without further extension up to Reading.

Here is my "realistic" Maura Healey transit vision Optimization:

- Red-Blue connection
- GLX3 to Porter (Phase 1)
- OLX1 to West Roxbury
- GLX4 to Needham

Then, I agree with you on "Expansion"

- BLX1 to Lynn
- OLX2 to Reading

Of course, continued Electrification of Commuter Rail and a steady move towards Regional Rail clock facing schedules. Personally, I think Salem could be better served by regional rail rather than a Blue Line Extension. I would LOVE prep for NSRL, but it just doesn't seem to have the momentum until we get more of a regional rail system created.

Nitpick: If the only thing being built is a surface connector from Brookline Village to Mission Park (or Brigham Circle to reduce mixed street running), how do you plan to open up capacity in the Central Subway? Would there be, for example, a D-E train from Riverside to Copley Junction and east via Huntington, and a short shuttle from Heath St to Kenmore via Fenway?

Building the Back Bay subway will provide an obvious answer to save capacity for the Central Subway, eliminate Copley Junction, and allow Bay Village station to be designed in conjunction with GL to Nubian. But that would massively enlarge the scale of this project.

This really isn't the thread for this, but I really don't see D-to-E as being viable without a Huntington Subway or massive redesign of Huntington. Brookline Village to Copley is about 13 minutes today, but would be more like 20 via Huntington.

Great post. But Transformative? someone explain this to me. I know it’ll be an important project and bring rapid transit a little bit closer to the heart of the North Shore. But for most on the North Shore going to Central Square is 90% of the way to Wonderland.

To be truly TRANSFORMATIVE the Blue Line needs to go deeper into the North Shore.

South Salem, or at least Vinnin Square.
We discussed this when you first proposed this idea back in 2021. I understand your logic though, so I'm gonna go through this point by point to do some mythbusting. Don't take this the wrong way -- I'm not trying to be harsh; I want to take seriously the suggestions you're raising and demonstrate why in fact BLX to Lynn would be transformative.

Ultimately, it comes down to shortening the bus routes.

Right now, North Shore bus routes need to run allllllll the way from Lynn into Wonderland in order to connect riders to rapid transit. That stretch is 4.5 miles to Wonderland via Lynnway and 5.5 miles via Salem Turnpike. So, in fact, for everyone south of Beverly, getting to Lynn Central Square is actually only 50% of the way to Wonderland.

A useful comparison is the South Shore before and after the Red Line Extension. IIRC, many of the buses that currently terminate at Quincy Center used to run all the way to Fields Corner, which was, you guessed it, an extra 4 miles of surface travel before you could reach rapid transit.

Very roughly speaking, cutting these bus routes to a Blue Line transfer at Lynn would literally halve their running distance -- which instantly gives you double the frequencies without any increase in rolling stock. (The reality will be messier than this, but the principle is sound.)

Now, I think you are also making an implicit argument about ridership -- suggesting that the majority of North Shore ridership is located north of Lynn. However, I don't think the data bear this out.

Someone (I think it was @737900er) popped recent BlueBook ridership data into Tableau to create this map:

1672339232870.png

As you can see, the Lynn-Wonderland segments see stronger ridership than any other route. The 455, going to Salem via the easterly route, looks like the strongest route north of Lynn, but still sees less than a quarter of the ridership on the two Lynn-Wonderland segments.

This is unsurprising when we look at the frequencies of these routes:

1672339750367.png

Now, compare that to the routes radiating out from Quincy Center:

1672339818955.png

Because the routes are shorter, it's feasible to run them at higher frequencies, which is why the North Shore's 455 is currently stuck at 30-min peak headways, while the South Shore's 225 has 15-min peak headways.

And if we look through the ridership profiles for the North Shore routes, we see that ridership is very heavily tilted toward Lynn, with Salem coming in a strong second. There's clearly demand across the whole region, as you rightly note, but with obstacles like 30-min headways, it's a hard sell for car owners. BLX to Lynn would make those feeder buses a viable alternative to driving.

(And I mean seriously, look at all of these, but in particular check out the 450's demand profile in Lynn -- that's a substantial spike along Western Ave, less than a mile from Lynn Station, but passengers instead are left with a 30-min bus that has to schlep over 5 miles through marshes before a rapid transit transfer becomes available. With BLX, that corridor can become the North Shore's 216 and see a bus every 12 minutes with a quick journey to a rapid transit transfer at Lynn; just like that, your entire commute becomes "show-up-and-go".)

1672340425291.png

1672340437615.png

1672340453612.png

1672340468518.png

1672340483399.png

1672340498275.png

1672340511394.png

1672340523253.png

~~~

Now, to be clear, I do believe the Blue Line should eventually be extended to South Salem. (Salem Station itself is harder -- would love to see it, but it's harder.) But yes, extending further north is clearly worthwhile. But as an immediate political priority, BLX Phase 1 to Lynn should be the focus. Even without further extension, it would have a huge impact by shortening bus routes and increasing their frequencies, and providing a one-seat-ride from Lynn, where we know there is extremely high demand.

Interim D-E surface connector
[...]
I think D-E is a necessary prerequisite for F to Nubian, because it enables consolidation of some D and E slots in the Central Subway, opening up capacity

This really isn't the thread for this, but I really don't see D-to-E as being viable without a Huntington Subway or massive redesign of Huntington. Brookline Village to Copley is about 13 minutes today, but would be more like 20 via Huntington.
An interim D-E surface connector is an imperfect first step, and it would not be the cleanest option. To @737900er's point, the time differential would probably mean doing reverse-branching so that everyone maintains some level of one-seat-ride, as opposed to the simpler "Extend E to Needham" kind of approach. And it would require some politicking to justify the tradeoffs: rerouting some Riverside trains to Huntington would indeed mean a longer trip to Copley, but would be a shorter trip to Longwood, Northeastern, and (to an extent) the Prudential.

Yes, a D-E surface connector would also mean that some E trains could be rerouted away from Heath, and be replaced by a shuttle pinging between Kenmore and Heath. It would also soften the impact of short-turning Highland Branch trains at Kenmore -- you can maintain a slightly longer one-seat-ride via Huntington, or do a cross-platform transfer at Kenmore.

Finally, having a D-E surface connector in place then makes for a stronger case for extending the Huntington reservation and/or Huntington subway, as it will demonstrate that the impact of such extensions would stretch well beyond Huntington Ave and the E Line itself.

Absolutely I agree that the Full(er) Build of a Back Bay Subway is the long-term fix, but I think a minimum-build D-E (even just grabbing a couple of lanes on Route 9 and a short stretch of Pearl St) would start the ball rolling and give the T experience running the more complex service patterns needed to leverage the Green Line's full capacity.

Last edited:
In a first term, the things I would set in motion would be:

1. BLT+. This is a 10-20 year series of projects that, IMO, should be done in quick succession/concurrently
a. Red-Blue Connector with provision for Riverbank Subway (I don't think any of us will see a Riverbank Subway in our lifetimes)
b. Tighten screws on Massport to finally get their shit together about APM between Blue Line and terminals. Red-Blue will move more passengers to Airport by Blue, and the current solution at Logan isn't acceptable.
c. Convert Blue Line to as close as reasonably possible to Orange train lengths
d. Blue to Lynn

2. Electrified Urban Rail on Fairmount
Building a "starter" line will increase political pressure to build more Regional/Urban rail on other corridors in Term 2

3. East-West/Inland Route
This is some of the lowest hanging fruit outside of 128 and 495 and if I was governor I would prioritize it the name of political expediency.

In Term 2 I would go for SCR Phase 2, Nubian, and starting northside electrification.

In hindsight, the 0th thing I would do would be a quick evaluation the BEB program.

We discussed this when you first proposed this idea back in 2021. I understand your logic though, so I'm gonna go through this point by point to do some mythbusting. Don't take this the wrong way -- I'm not trying to be harsh; I want to take seriously the suggestions you're raising and demonstrate why in fact BLX to Lynn would be transformative.

Ultimately, it comes down to shortening the bus routes.

Right now, North Shore bus routes need to run allllllll the way from Lynn into Wonderland in order to connect riders to rapid transit. That stretch is 4.5 miles to Wonderland via Lynnway and 5.5 miles via Salem Turnpike. So, in fact, for everyone south of Beverly, getting to Lynn Central Square is actually only 50% of the way to Wonderland.

A useful comparison is the South Shore before and after the Red Line Extension. IIRC, many of the buses that currently terminate at Quincy Center used to run all the way to Fields Corner, which was, you guessed it, an extra 4 miles of surface travel before you could reach rapid transit.

Very roughly speaking, cutting these bus routes to a Blue Line transfer at Lynn would literally halve their running distance -- which instantly gives you double the frequencies without any increase in rolling stock. (The reality will be messier than this, but the principle is sound.)

Now, I think you are also making an implicit argument about ridership -- suggesting that the majority of North Shore ridership is located north of Lynn. However, I don't think the data bear this out.

Someone (I think it was @737900er) popped recent BlueBook ridership data into Tableau to create this map:

As you can see, the Lynn-Wonderland segments see stronger ridership than any other route. The 455, going to Salem via the easterly route, looks like the strongest route north of Lynn, but still sees less than a quarter of the ridership on the two Lynn-Wonderland segments.

This is unsurprising when we look at the frequencies of these routes:

Now, compare that to the routes radiating out from Quincy Center:

Because the routes are shorter, it's feasible to run them at higher frequencies, which is why the North Shore's 455 is currently stuck at 30-min peak headways, while the South Shore's 225 has 15-min peak headways.

And if we look through the ridership profiles for the North Shore routes, we see that ridership is very heavily tilted toward Lynn, with Salem coming in a strong second. There's clearly demand across the whole region, as you rightly note, but with obstacles like 30-min headways, it's a hard sell for car owners. BLX to Lynn would make those feeder buses a viable alternative to driving.

(And I mean seriously, look at all of these, but in particular check out the 450's demand profile in Lynn -- that's a substantial spike along Western Ave, less than a mile from Lynn Station, but passengers instead are left with a 30-min bus that has to schlep over 5 miles through marshes before a rapid transit transfer becomes available. With BLX, that corridor can become the North Shore's 216 and see a bus every 12 minutes with a quick journey to a rapid transit transfer at Lynn; just like that, your entire commute becomes "show-up-and-go".)

~~~

Now, to be clear, I do believe the Blue Line should eventually be extended to South Salem. (Salem Station itself is harder -- would love to see it, but it's harder.) But yes, extending further north is clearly worthwhile. But as an immediate political priority, BLX Phase 1 to Lynn should be the focus. Even without further extension, it would have a huge impact by shortening bus routes and increasing their frequencies, and providing a one-seat-ride from Lynn, where we know there is extremely high demand.

That's all very interesting to see how Rapid Transit Extensions can shorten bus routes.

There's 2 corridors, Salem Turnpike, and North Shore Rd. So in theory, even if BLX to Lynn were to happen, 2 bus routes would still need to continue southwards to Wonderland. This would especially be the case if BLX does not make any stops at all between Lynn and Wonderland (i.e., the Commuter Rail routing is used for BLX).

As such, there is only really 1 route that can be shortened immediately with BLX. The 441/442, which could all be cut back to Central Sq. The 455 would be rerouted to serve North Shore Rd, and the 450 would continue down Salem Turnpike

On the Salem Turnpike, there is a bus stop located at Salem Tnpk @ Ballard St. If a bus route does not continue down the Salem Turnpike, this bus stop would become stranded as it is 3/4 mile from the 426 and West Lynn Garage. There is also a pathway in West Lynn about 1/3 - 2/5 of a mile south of the garage. As such, the 450 might need to continue past West Lynn Garage onwards to Wonderland. If the ridership on these 2 stops don't justify the 5.5 longer route, I suppose it can be cut and eliminated. Whether it's possible to route the 450 to serve Central Sq., would likely need to eliminate service to the Garage/residential areas nearby it.

If the 450 does get cut to West Lynn Garage, the 455 would be rerouted onto North Shore Rd. in order to serve Point of Pines and Oak Island. This would be the last remaining bus route running south of Central Sq. to Wonderland.

If BLX is routed via Point of Pines, it would need to make all local stops on Oak Is. and Point of Pines. Point of Pines, would need to carefully place 1 stop if trying to avoid having 2 stops in Point of Pines. Once heading into Lynn, the stops would all be located west than the Lynnway by 1/5 - 1/3rd mile. As such, it would be hard to try to shorten the 455 route by half to Central Sq.

Now, if the BLX to Salem would happen, you can't cut the 450 or the 455's Salem - Lynn routes or frequencies at all since the ROW is located away from populated areas along the 2 bus routes.

Last edited:
That's all very intersting to see how Rapid Transit Extensions can shorten bus routes.

There's 2 corridors, Salem Turnpike, and North Shore Rd. So in theory, even if BLX to Lynn were to happen, 2 bus routes would still need to continue southwards to Wonderland. This would especially be the case if BLX does not make any stops at all between Lynn and Wonderland (i.e., the Commuter Rail routing is used for BLX).

As such, there is only really 1 route that can be shortened immediately with BLX. The 441/442, which could all be cut back to Central Sq. The 455 would be rerouted to serve North Shore Rd, and the 450 would continue down Salem Turnpike

On the Salem Turnpike, there is a bus stop located at Salem Tnpk @ Ballard St. If a bus route does not continue down the Salem Turnpike, this bus stop would become stranded as it is 3/4 mile from the 426 and West Lynn Garage. There is also a pathway in West Lynn about 1/3 - 2/5 of a mile south of the garage. As such, the 450 might need to continue past West Lynn Garage onwards to Wonderland. If the ridership on these 2 stops don't justify the 5.5 longer route, I suppose it can be cut and eliminated. Whether it's possible to route the 450 to serve Central Sq., would likely need to eliminate service to the Garage/residential areas nearby it.

If the 450 does get cut to West Lynn Garage, the 455 would be rerouted onto North Shore Rd. in order to serve Point of Pines and Oak Island. This would be the last remaining bus route running south of Central Sq. to Wonderland.

If BLX is routed via Point of Pines, it would need to make all local stops on Oak Is. and Point of Pines. Point of Pines, would need to carefully place 1 stop if trying to avoid having 2 stops in Point of Pines. Once heading into Lynn, the stops would all be located west than the Lynnway by 1/5 - 1/3rd mile. As such, it would be hard to try to shorten the 455 route by half to Central Sq.

Now, if the BLX to Salem would happen, you can't cut the 450 or the 455's Salem - Lynn routes or frequencies at all since the ROW is located away from populated areas along the 2 bus routes.
I'm pretty sure we would have no through-running routes -- everything would terminate at Lynn Central Sq. The 424 and 450 would get diverted via something like Washington St, and the 441, 442, and 455 would be truncated at Lynn. It is true that we need to deal with serving the areas between Lynn and Wonderland, but those should be separate routes, to keep the north-of-Lynn routes more reliable.

To your point, you have two corridors leftover: Common St/Western Ave/Salem Turnpike, and Lynnway/North Shore Road.

The eastern corridor sees pretty good ridership on both sides of the bridge, so yes, we'd probably have a shortened route pinging back and forth between Wonderland and Lynn Central Sq via Lynnway. That route will be more reliable if shorter, and can also have its frequency tuned to match the demand of that specific corridor, rather than having to fit the demand of the much longer and more varied corridor.

The western corridor sees solid ridership between Central Square and the West Lynn Garage, but it drops after the river. The lion's share of this corridor could be handled by increased frequencies on the 426, with riders oriented toward Central Square.

You do have some leftover pieces here, mostly on Western Ave -- between Washington and S Common St, and then the short stretch between Summer St and the West Lynn Garage. You could experiment with a short route that ping-pongs back-and-forth to take care of those. Alternatively, we could make an exception to "no through runs", and re-extend the 455 the extra 2.3 miles to cover those gaps.

~~~

If we truly want to play "Deity Mode", then let's assume that the River Works station becomes accessible from the street. You could then run the 424, 450, and maybe also an extended 455 into a secondary hub there.

~~~

But basically, even if you only curtail the Salem Turnpike segments of the 450, 455, and 424, that's still a significant increase. And even if it isn't strictly speaking "double the frequencies", it'll still be a massive improvement in reliability to have the hub at Lynn rather than Wonderland, even if you still need to cover some of the route-miles between the two. The reliability improvements coupled with at least some shorter routes will result in frequency increases. (Plus, providing rapid transit to the ~15,000 people who live in the 15-min walkshed of Lynn Station is nothing to sneeze at either.)

Back