Innovation and Re-use of Structures

whighlander

Reaction score
Not everything of great interest is all from the ground-up new construction -- but the new use might be so-different as to make for an interesting story all by itself

A case in point might be the Nationally Registered Kendall Boiler and Tank Co. Building located in Cambridge @ 3rd & Binney

Once home to the eponymous Kendall Boiler & Tank Co. -- founded in 1860 combined with Blake & Knowles Steam Pump Company -- and circa 1910 Cambridge's largest non-U private employer -- about 1700 people

specifically:

Mr. Edward Kendall started in the business of manufacturing steam boilers in the year 1880, under the firm name of Kendall & Davis. After 5 years, a new partnership was formed, and from then until 1887 the style of the firm was Kendall & Roberts.

In 1887, Mr. Roberts sold his interest to Mr. Kendall and since then Mr. Kendall’s two sons, George F. and James H. have been partnered with him under the name of Edward Kendall & Sons.

Presently, the business has greatly increased, new shops have been built, and modern and improved machines have replaced the old. The aim of Kendall Boiler & Tank is to keep the quality of work up to the highest standards.

Today after spending some time as an anonymous office space and temporary home of a Mormon Temple it is now the home of Big Data in the form of " hack/reduce "

Our mission is to help Boston create the talent and the technologies that will shape our future in a big data-driven economy. At hack/reduce you’ll get access to our large-scale compute cluster, hands-on workshops, and a physical space in the heart of Kendall Square.

hack/reduce is a non-profit established in partnership with the State of Massachusetts, a number of local and global firms committed to innovation, and in collaboration with MIT, Harvard and other local universities. Working closely with our partners and the community, we’ll bring developers, data scientists and domain experts across disciplines together to create the next generation of Big Data technologies and applications.

And so it goes

Cripes Westy. Welcome back.
But get some sleep for the sake of Pete!
Game could go late tonight.

^aren't you supposed to have the power to move it? I guess you really aren't a moderator, huh!?!?

^ Wow you're really back with a vengeance huh?

^aren't you supposed to have the power to move it? I guess you really aren't a moderator, huh!?!?

As much as I hate to agree with trollboy, he has a point. Isn't organizing threads and posts like the one power moderators have here?

Damnit. Why did I reply to whighlander thinking this thread had any intention of being on-topic and/or a non-duplicate? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

My fault. Feel free to move to General and let the kindergateners fingerpaint all over it till it's nap time.

Damnit. Why did I reply to whighlander thinking this thread had any intention of being on-topic and/or a non-duplicate? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

8927eec4b781875fb9d41b077c9a619e1589494.jpg

As much as I hate to agree with trollboy, he has a point. Isn't organizing threads and posts like the one power moderators have here?

We all know you're itching to become a mod!

Indeed. Then whighlander's post would be put in the right spot and the rest of this mess could be deleted as it should be!

Except -- that I had nothing to do with the meaningless digital bits that were recently spewed forth graffiti style -- or perhaps more like Dogie Graffiti Style

The Big Box ideas ---OK the rest Not exactly on topic

By the way as an esteemed Senior Member -- as are more of my commentators -- I do have the right to introduce New Threads, Post Replies and Edit my own work

And So it goes -- I'd say Go Sox -- except they did and tomorrow they will in Tom Menino's Penultimate Rolling Ralley

Back