Iron Works | 323-365 Dorchester Ave | South Boston

Anyone have any idea why that is? My brother, who recently retired from the police, says a small part of it is that the BPD has fairly good relations with minority communities, at least compared to other cities, but that's certainly not the whole explanation. What do people here think are factors at work (or not at work) that make Boston such an outlier?

Great question. Probably best to ponder that longer, but if I were to be rash and hasty about it, it just might be that the Boston economy, given the medical, university, technology, tourism industries local present a better opportunity at least for many entryway paths and that there have been some very enlightened corps and schools making outreach to the communities.

We (myself included) , on this website, tend to spend alot of time ****ing and moaning about the endless community meetings gumming up development year in year out. However, those, perhaps actually do in fact create a feeling of being heard in communities that may not feel that same thing in other cities?

Maybe, just maybe, what we most are annoyed by, does have a silver lining?

Also, I'd be fascinated to hear from your brother's experience and point of view, how much the Boston of today is a far different Boston than the one when he first entered the police department?

From my, albeit out-of-state, perspective, I see the cultural sea change taking place around the beginning of the Menino administration. I admit, I pre-judged the man, however, in the end he seemed to truly be an enlightened and inclusive mayor who really did, in part, helped change the political and social culture of the city. Walsh (whom I also pre-judged - I was more impressed with Connolly in that election) really rose to the challenge also. The Boston of today, after acting Mayor Janey and now Mayor Wu really has very little in common with the parochialism of the Boston of my youth.

But back to my first point, in addition to this, the pathways to jobs, education and advancement seem more real (albeit still not enough) for the urban communities in Boston than those of many other cities.

Sorry for the disjointed stream of conscious.

Last edited:
^
Sorry, shmessy. My brother says he doesn't like to make comments that could be construed as endorsement or criticism of past or present people, policies, organizations, etc.

Does this mean they restored the height of the residential?

I hope they freeze this as is and dont VE it any further, its perfect. Great materials, great massing, great choice of colors. Once somebody pulls the trigger at a blank slate project like this it can really set a foundation for what comes next. This is a great anchor point.

Why don't we see more larger scale developments like this for other parts of Boston, or even Brookline? Considering how much space in the city is taken up by cemeteries and woods, why aren't more developments like this proposed for outer neighborhoods near transit? Look at Coolidge Corner. Direct rail and bus connections and you have a lot of low density development in the area currently. Why not build more in the 8-12 story range in an area like this?

"This project is one of a series along Dot Ave that will transform the area into one of the premiere Boulevards in Boston."

That's a bit of a stretch tbh.

"This project is one of a series along Dot Ave that will transform the area into one of the premiere Boulevards in Boston."

That's a bit of a stretch tbh.
Why not? This is a massive industrial zone that is all being redeveloped with dense, tall, and varied buildings. Andrew Square and Southie have a massive young (and outgoing) population in direct proximity that are sure to pump a lot of life into that area. Even the rehab of the existing Iron Works buildings has been extremely popular already. Approaching this with an open mind given the existing conditions but I think this could be at least as meaningful of a place as Seaport Boulevard.

I think it can be a successful area for large scale development, I just don't see it as one of the premiere locations in Boston. It's surrounded by a housing project, Cabot bus yards and railway tracks. Seaport Blvd is surrounded by Fort Point historical district, the Convention Center and most importantly, Boston Harbor and miles of waterfront.

It definitely has the potential. Its never going to be the back bay, north end, beacon hill, but I would definitely say the seaport is a premier neighborhood at this point and it could definitely reach that level. Yea you have the highway right there, but it hopefully should be walled off and it has 2 red line stops.

V5RSdZJ.png

Why not? This is a massive industrial zone that is all being redeveloped with dense, tall, and varied buildings. Andrew Square and Southie have a massive young (and outgoing) population in direct proximity that are sure to pump a lot of life into that area. Even the rehab of the existing Iron Works buildings has been extremely popular already. Approaching this with an open mind given the existing conditions but I think this could be at least as meaningful of a place as Seaport Boulevard.
It could definitely become an interesting and vibrant corridor leading toward the Seaport. My hope for this stretch of Dot Ave would be something similar to what has happened to Boylston St. in the Fenway. It's very similar to what that area was like 20 years ago. Samuels got things right, there, this could be just as amazing an upgrade.

The Andrew end of this puts them in great position to take advantage of the beach. Just lay a boardwalk down Preble St and up over that Old Colony/Columbia rotary...

Build this all now. Are there any plans for that red triangle looking building pictured in the second render? Seems like it's an underutilized space.

Back