James Kunstler: How bad architecture wrecked cities

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
James Kunstler: How bad architecture wrecked cities

In James Howard Kunstler's view, public spaces should be inspired centers of civic life and the physical manifestation of the common good. Instead, he argues, what we have in America is a nation of places not worth caring about.

James Howard Kunstler may be the world’s most outspoken critic of suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will soon force a return to smaller-scale, agrarian communities -- and an overhaul of the most destructive features of postwar society.

Kunstler said:
...The immersive ugliness of our everyday environments in America is entropy made visible...

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_dissects_suburbia.html

City Hall Plaza gets a special mention.

Hmm, it's from 2004.

I like the term "nature band-aide". And the connection he makes between Brutalism and Communist-style architecture. They really are the same. It's amazing to me that Brutalism was allowed to flourish in this country, even during the Red Scare of the 50s and 60s.

Most of the "squares" in Boston are places not worth caring about. At least, nowadays since they've all been turned into nasty intersections with high speed traffic flying around. Can you imagine sitting down for a coffee in Kenmore Square? What a joke.

And do so-called "new urbanists" really study traditional architecture? Most of what I see from them is more suburban sprawl.

The James Ellroy of the architecture and planning world.

Interesting comparison, kz.

I sent this link to a friend earlier and referred to Kunstler as "The Noam Chomsky of Urbanism."

Back