Joe on the MTA

JoeGallows

Reaction score
No, it's not an alternate Kingston Trio version of 'Charlie on the MTA.' Rather, it's a question I'd like to direct to some of our New York City-savvy forum-goers.

I'm going to be flying (yes, flying, my girlfriend decided it was not worth it going by Amtrak since it cost the same and took 2.5 hours longer. I however would've been delighted to take it) into JFK. I know, I know... but i think thats why the flight was so cheap.

So that leaves me in a bind. I've been to New York once, for about 8 hours, only in and around Times Square with 3 hours of it spent in an Off-Broadway show. I was also 16. So, given all that information, it's safe to say that it's like I've never been.

So, my question: what is the most effective way to get from JFK airport to W. 77th and Broadway on the Upper West Side? I cannot afford that kind of cab ride, so that is out. I understand they now have AirTrain which links to the A and also the LIRR (okay, I've done a little research into the topic). Would it be best to do that or are there any other ways to travel?

Will I be stuck 'neath the streets of Brooklyn and Manhattan? Will I ever return?

Oh, you poor Schmoe...oh, wait, that's the other Joe... :wink:

I've used the A train for those few times I flew into JFK (usually avoid JFK, prefer Newark) and I wasn't pressed for time.

LIRR is not a good idea for where you are going in Manhattan. Much better with the subway.

So shuttling over to the A train would be the best advice/bet. And give yourself an hour (at least) to complete the trip. The A stops become more limited from JFK once you are concurrent with the C line--almost an express--you'll have about twenty stops to Columbus Circle.

Then, get off at Columbus Circle (59th Street) and transfer to the 1 Uptown to the 79th and B'way stop.

Have fun in NYC. Haven't been to NYC in a few years. Wow, how'd that happen. I miss it. (But wouldn't want to live there again, no siree.)

Back