Josiah Quincy Upper School | 900 Washington Street | Chinatown

I would pull my child out of school rather than walk to this thing every day.

Well, this building is going to be aggressively and unquestionably ugly. It's also too bad for the rowhouses on the north side of Pine Street, which are now effectively on a back alley that's entirely overshadowed by this project.

Anyway, as of 9/1:

Honestly, Pine has always been a narrow alley of a street. Historically there was another row of Row Houses facing directly across the narrow passage from the remaining ones. It was never open and sunny!

Look at Johnny Court, one block north for reference.

They had a pretty good run for a couple decades at least, with a small church building and the 2-story modular school (ca 1999 - not sure what was there prior) letting an enormous amount of light in. You can even see that lovely tree grow if you scroll through Street View history:

photo_2023-09-28 18.55.24.jpeg
photo_2023-09-28 18.55.26.jpeg

Can we take this building and just lay it down on its side on the adjacent Mass Pike air rights parcel?

The good news for these kids is that Boston has some of the best cancer treatment facilities in the world.

I like that thing. The brick is decent, the windows are playful without being overly gimmicky, the cross bracing is interesting, and it's cool how what I assume is the auditorium (the blue box) reveals some function in the form. A little bit New England brick warehouse, a whiff of Renzo Piano.

Back