Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

From the misleading angle that suggests one of Bostons most prized possessions (a lit up Venezuelan gas company logo) is entirely covered by this and the subsequent anger they can no longer see it, to the comments calling this a) a parking garage and b) a skyscraper, I had a good laugh.

I agree-it is embarrassing that a Venezuelen oil company's sign is a Boston treasure.

Took a good hard look at it today... yes overall it's crap but the massing is fine and I don't really find these precast brick panels to be horribly worse than 90% of the other precast brick panels as people here seem to think? They just look like typical IDGAF precast to me.

51047061668_b2c87bd971_b.jpg

51047877937_103c64311e_b.jpg

51047877857_80529feeb3_b.jpg

51047791266_7cb634bd2a_b.jpg

51047791141_ac78fd4dbb_b.jpg

51047877512_7c56db3760_b.jpg

51047877372_15bd084d89_b.jpg

Also, check out this bitchin' precast

51047790726_8a8d648ffd_b.jpg
I can still see that freakin sign.

The photo I use was taken before Covid hit, It was when I was visiting Victoria BC.

Ha, no, I was referring to the people on the Twitter page, which to Bananamara's latest observation of the page, there were no profile pictures with folks with masks, which is now correct. It was definitely different yesterday.

More people on that Twitter thread today don't seem to be focused on the Citgo sign, which is good.

I finally got to see this in person. I think the absolute worst part of this is that the red "brick" facade isn't even close to convincing. The bricks aren't interleaved, they're gridded, they would provide no structural support. It looks so weird. I don't know what the designer was trying to say with this.

I don't know what the designer was trying to say with this.

I don't know about the designer, but it's clear what the developer was saying: "Eff Boston and the many generations of people who have lived there, giving the city an actual history. I'll cheapen the city permanently to enrich myself temporarily. So long, suckas!"

Also drove by this over the weekend. I was pretty curious with all the comments here on however bad it looks in pictures, it is that much worse in person. I didn't really believe them - how could it look worse than the terrible it already looks in the pictures posted here? Well, peg me as a convert and true believer now after seeing it with my own eyes: it really is a pile of shite.

The glass is more one-dimensional than the faux-brick facade.
I don’t blame the developer for this - the city is to blame for allowing it.

Requesting a permanent ban for this individual

[EDIT] I've now reread this thread. Here's the full evolution (credit to mssro to posting this at the time):

1617645344866.png

If you read pages 9-18 or so of the thread you'll see us all reacting positively to this at the June/August point (the design, that is, everyone has always hated the project) and hating it by October. I'll give you credit, though - you hated it the whole time.

Last edited:
BCDC really manages to eff up the design process more often than not...

Back