Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

This comes off as a statement made by somebody who actually doesn't know this city well. Maybe that's not the case, but I don't think your statement is quite the solid argument you intended. It's far more complex than "plain and simple," and the generational conflict you are suggesting as the impetus is just plain silly.

I wasn't suggesting a generational conflict... I was actually talking about the normal trajectory of people who partake in late-night night life... its predominantly something that 20-somethings do. Eventually you age out of it and its no longer an issue worth worrying about.

Same reason the drinking age is 21 though a large number of people think its stupid. Once you're past it... it stops being a problem.

Boston's 20-something population either eventually ages out or moves out and so we stay the way we are.

Not all night life requires alcohol. Not all of Kenmore's prior (*ahem*...KENMORE we're talking about, not Boston-generica) nightlife was alcohol-based. Seems like targeting the redev to 9-5'ers like a heat-seeking missile templated from straight outta Waltham overwhelmingly explains why Kenmore-which-once-had-a-nightlife no longer does, rather than age or generational angst.

I totally agree with the reactions here and I hope this forum is visited by architects and builders responsible.
The geometry of the building is actually not bad and seems thoughtful. This makes it even harder to understand how a facade like this was approved. It truly is a “masterpiece“ of gloomy and depressing architecture. It’s not only cheap looking but even more concerning to me is ignoring the cognitive response this facade invokes. It deteriorates conviviality of the environment and sucks energy out of the observer. I hope there will be plenty of critique, and the parties responsible will ask themselves “how could we mess up so badly here”. Jeanne Gang‘s designed tower to the rescue here please!!

1624127298086.gif

This is just one giant, cheaply constructed bitchslap to Boston.

Reactions: FK4
Its definitely nothing special
Nov%206%20Rendering%20Beacon.JPG
So that's our starting point for the great VE'ing-to-spit, eh? The Whoops building looked somewhat better in early renders than actual build, too. I shudder to think what filling the bookstore is going to serve for the ensuing shit sandwich once they're done fuckering with Plan B.

I ran by this building yesterday and still think it looks OK.

Back