Kenmore Square North (WHOOP) | 533-541 Commonwealth Ave | Fenway

Is it too much to ask that people describe/summarize the links they post? This one describes a neon Pepsi Cola sign in Queens (formerly attached to a Pepsi plant, and not Times Sq) that did get NYC landmark status.

YES, so happy to! Mine says SIGNS COOL! peoples liking them in BIG APPLE!!!

IAM thinkin Boson peeples need KRAZY SIGN DISTRIT. Neons. EDSON CHASIN BULBS!!!!

I visit Kalikut. Mumta put BLU LIGHTS UP EVERYWHERE!!! SO JOLLY!!!

This is not a question of "must we erase..", it is a question of "must we be forced to save..."

I'd encourage people to address the question of why there can't be more billboards in Kenmore (make it a permitted use and let the market drive the message and technology, as is done in Times Square)

There's the rub, "let the market drive..." Finding that delicate balance is always the challenge. I admit, unlike some here, I have sentimental issues. Make of that what you will. Some people only see a sign. I don't.

Certainly the stakeholders should have a predominate say. And the neighbors, have a right to weigh in. But recent evidence suggests we tear down history (even minor history) and don't always replace well.

I do not like the design of the Pru, for instance, but I have come to appreciate it, and my appreciation has almost nothing to do with the design. It's become a part of the blood and guts, if you will, of the city. Our biology becomes part of our biography - even for a city.

And not everything in either is always to our liking. But it speaks to us, and of us. We ignore this at our peril, even in small cases (for some) like a silly, out-dated sign.

The Pru is on a very short list of the most beautiful skyscrapers of the 60's. Underrated, underappreciated and beloved to no end.

The Plaza is horrible. The Pru is pure jewels.

The Pru is on a very short list of the most beautiful skyscrapers of the 60's. Underrated, underappreciated and beloved to no end.

The Plaza is horrible. The Pru is pure jewels.

When it was first built it was the tallest building in the world outside of Manhattan.

To be fair, it would be pretty tought o block out the Pepsi sign in Queens.

The Eiffel Tower would like a word with you. Maybe the tallest in the USA? But certainly not the world

From Wikipedia:
"The Prudential Tower began construction in 1960 with steel erection work by Donovan Steel. Upon its completion in 1964, the Prudential was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City, surpassing the Terminal Tower in Cleveland, Ohio. It dwarfed the 1947-John Hancock building. This spurred the insurance rival to build the 1975 John Hancock Tower, which is slightly taller at 790 feet (240 m)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudential_Tower

It was very startling to watch it go up, and a source of pride that you had something that almost no one else had!

+1. Not sure why almost everyone is ignoring this.

The BRA should reject any proposal that demolishes the facade of building 2 (the "corner building"). If the structure won't support a facadectomy or incorporation into a building deeper on the block, then rebuild that facade brick-for-brick like Mass+Main is doing.

If the proposal were to build a 30 story building there I'd probably be ok with demolishing the corner building... but blowing up a 6 story building for an 8 story building? No, not happening

Count me in for saving the corner building, it's an important visual anchor and even more important these days given the other side of Kenmore Square was almost entirely remade by the Hotel Commonwealth

Chiming in to support preservation of the corner building. It's not especially beautiful or remarkable but I'd bet my meager life savings it's better than whatever would replace it. Misaligned windows, alucobond and white precast, a stupid name like Kenmore Crossing, and two more floors are not added value here.

totally agree w/ you all.

But i also see something no one mentioned.....

Save the building if reasonably possible, and stop with the Citgo sign idolatry. Sight lines for marathon runners, seriously?

The one issue with the corner building is that it would be hard to blend with new construction. The other two buildings, yes tare them down.

Back