The Parker Boston (nee LaGrange Tower) | 47-55 LaGrange St. | Downtown

the narrow "533" is an awesome proposal. hope it goes forward.

seems it's gone quiet.

It was withdrawn many many months ago. NIMBYism, aesthetics, shadows, zoning, etc. set aside, it was going to be a bitch logistically in terms of the abutting theaters. "Abutting" actually doesn't nearly do it justice--533 Washington St. is nearly encircled by the Opera House. Even if they did get it built successfully--and somehow survived (what I perceive to be) the inevitable lawsuits from the Opera House and Modern Theatre--how were they going to do deliveries and trash haul-out, without interfering with the 100s of theater shows bracketing it, each year?

But of course it's too valuable a parcel, in such a prime location, to sit fallow for much longer. I have to think a new proposal will be coming sometime relatively soon...

As it becomes more obvious that successful commercial development of 533 Washington is unlikely, I expect it to be scooped up by Suffolk or, more likely, Emerson.

As it becomes more obvious that successful commercial development of 533 Washington is unlikely, I expect it to be scooped up by Suffolk or, more likely, Emerson.

Lol, Emerson--the folks who just bought a property literally right around the corner (171 Tremont St.). Wouldn't that be the definition of an irrational binge?

Also, both Emerson and Suffolk U. have been rated baa2 for credit, "adverse economic conditions or changing circumstances are more likely to lead to a weakened capacity of the obligor to meet its financial commitments."

Do you really think they have the appetite?

Now planned to break ground Q1 2019:

In a recent filing with the BPDA, developers Steven Goodman, John Matteson and Fan Du, say they plan to break ground in the first three months of 2019 on their proposed 21-story residential tower on Lagrange Street and Tamworth Street - a narrow street that connects Lagrange with Boylston Street.

The company had originally planned to start construction by the end of this year on the 176-unit building. The developers estimate construction would then take 26 months.

The building would sit on what is now a Lagrange Street parking lot, next to the site where St. Francis House hopes to build a 19-story mixed-income tower, on a street now known mostly as the home of Boston's two remaining strip clubs.

In addition to the notification about the change in start date, the developers formally asked the BPDA to describe the building as having up to 176 residential units - as described in its initial filings with the BPDA and the zoning board, rather than the 130 units listed in the BPDA's formal approval of the proposal. The building's overall size and 240-foot height were based on 176 units, not 130.

https://www.universalhub.com/2018/developers-delay-construction-chinatown

NPC: http://www.bostonplans.org/document...s/47-lagrange-street-notice-of-project-change

There are no renders or revised plans in the NPC.

Last edited:
Thanks DD.

Here's one more lux residential property that will make even more money

when it finally, eventually goes in.

Delayed till next year:

NPC: http://www.bostonplans.org/document...s/47-lagrange-street-notice-of-project-change

There are no renders or revised plans in the NPC.

Thanks for the update, still, "delayed till next year" sounds a bit more dramatic than delayed 1-4 months:

"In a recent filing with the BPDA, developers Steven Goodman, John Matteson and Fan Du, say they plan to break ground in the first three months of 2019 on their proposed 21-story residential tower on Lagrange Street and Tamworth Street - a narrow street that connects Lagrange with Boylston Street.

The company had originally planned to start construction by the end of this year on the 176-unit building....."

Thanks for the update, still, "delayed till next year" sounds a bit more dramatic than delayed 1-4 months:

In Boston we trust; Ain't no bad thing; quite the contrary.

Developers and lending institutions will continue to be cautious and time the market. The highrises coming on line in the coming years will be at a brave, aggressive, pace. Yet, spread out fairly well. With Boston running in Jr. SF mode – it's just gonna keep going and going and going and going,

and blow the top right off the nimby degenerates' perverted world.

"In a recent filing with the BPDA, developers Steven Goodman, John Matteson and Fan Du, say they plan to break ground in the first three months of 2019 on their proposed 21-story residential tower on Lagrange Street and Tamworth Street - a narrow street that connects Lagrange with Boylston Street.

The company had originally planned to start construction by the end of this year on the 176-unit building....."

Fair. That wasn't my intent, but I edited it to sound less dramatic.

This site is fenced off now, parking lot is closed and a large excavator is on site. I suspect ground breaking is imminent.

I am confused. Excavator gone but several slightly torn up patches of asphalt exist.

I don't mean to height fetish and probably covered before, but this shape would look good about 2X taller.

Reminds me of a mini 50 West Street:

50-west-50-west-street-36.jpg

I think that's the clearest glass I've ever seen.

I won't derail further by posting an image, but the lobby of that building is wild - White and black tile on the walls and ceilings. Strange ornate vaulted ceilings with lots of octagonal shapes. Of course, there are palm trees in the atrium as well...

On the far right is 60 Wall Street, the most atrocious building in NY. Peak PoMo madness. Never again.

Back