Lake George, NY

Arenacale

Reaction score
Just spent a weekend with the family up in Lake George. Mostly rural but the downtown section is somewhat built up. Pretty schlocky, though - it's a bit like Winnipesaukee in that regard. Lots of arcades and tourist traps. Boat ride was nice - it's a very pretty area.
DSCN5196.JPG
DSCN5199.JPG
DSCN5231.JPG
DSCN5239.JPG
DSCN5241.JPG

I've always loved it up there, and had some of the best pizza I've ever had there. You're not wrong about the tourist traps, but if you want to get to the secluded areas, they're mostly on the east side of the lake. And if you're a fan of history, head up north and visit Fort Ticonderoga. Some absolutely stunning views up there.

I've always loved it up there, and had some of the best pizza I've ever had there. You're not wrong about the tourist traps, but if you want to get to the secluded areas, they're mostly on the east side of the lake. And if you're a fan of history, head up north and visit Fort Ticonderoga. Some absolutely stunning views up there.
We actually did head up there, unfortunately during a downpour! But it was great and much better than Fort William Henry in Lake George itself.

Lake George reminds me of Hampton Beach by a lake. If you aren't lugging kids along, then next time be sure to head further North and check out Lake Placid. Route 73 is extremely epic and incredible. The "High Peaks" are right by there and you can even drive to the top of Whiteface.

I also recommend riding Route 28 out to Inlet, and the amazing pullover view of Seventh Lake. When I stayed at Lake George we rode 8 West and then 28 back East and got a see a ton of the Adirondacks that way. I think 8 is actually kind of lame in the scheme of it though and would recommend 28 and routes further north.

Pretty schlocky, though - it's a bit like Winnipesaukee in that regard. Lots of arcades and tourist traps.

Ummmmmm that's a direct attack on the Funspot arcade in Laconia and 8 year old me is ready to fight you to the death 🙃

Ummmmmm that's a direct attack on the Funspot arcade in Laconia and 8 year old me is ready to fight you to the death 🙃
No hating on Funspot here! The Lake George arcades were more of the "tickets for cheap stuff" variety than Funspot's video game excellence.

Back