Late night T service take 2

Well shit, nice. Call it the "DC solution."

One problem is that it still doesn't help the night shift workers as much. Still need to think about that some more.

Wondering why they chose Saturday and Sunday as opposed to Friday and Saturday...

Because after midnight on Saturday night is technically Sunday? I'm sure that's what they meant.

Page not found.

Am I being trolled?

There's no way this is real life.

However, incidentally, I recently noted that by increasing their hours, LA and London have put pressure on cities like Boston that use the idiotic "we're too old/have only 2 tracks" excuse. You can only ignore Chicago, PATH and PATCO for so long. Throw in DC, London and LA, and your excuse is dead.

ROFL.

Adam just edited his version as well on UHub. Hmm.

Did the Globe just T-roll us?

What are you folks talking about? The article's still up.

Awesome news. I no longer have the need to rely on fighting for a cab to get home, or leaving and hour or so early to catch the last train. Hopefully people take advantage of this service to it sticks around.

I like how they are keeping a lot open and not just a couple bus route substituting for rail. I think this will promote more usage since it will obviously cover more ground.

One thing that I think will help boost usage this time around (that was the supposed part-rationale for round 1 failure), is the spread of smartphone apps with GPS tracking. This is particularly useful if the frequency is limited. I always check my phone, particularly for the bus, and will wait out another round if I see 25 minutes.

It's good their not, but I would have no problem with them boosting post 12:30 am fares up a buck on all modes. Monthly pass holders should be allowed no problem. This would raise more revenue for the service and/or incentivize more monthly pass purchases.

I like how the Governor had to find 20M in the budget plus corporate sponsors to pay for this pilot program. What will it take for our Great and General Court to actually revisit and fix the funding mechanism for the MBTA and DOT?

They need to plaster this news on every MBTA station for the next six months. One of the big problems with the first attempt at late night service was the fact that no one knew about it.

I like how the Governor had to find 20M in the budget plus corporate sponsors to pay for this pilot program. What will it take for our Great and General Court to actually revisit and fix the funding mechanism for the MBTA and DOT?

Really? I thought this was a component of the recent transportation bill. I know it was really scaled back, but I thought I remember reading this as being a big part?

This is probably the best Christmas present ever. This changes Boston's nightlife scene entirely. This means that people can stay out until the bars and clubs close at 2 and still take the T home. 3 AM is the perfect hour.

They need to plaster this news on every MBTA station for the next six months. One of the big problems with the first attempt at late night service was the fact that no one knew about it.

Second that. Advertise the hell out of it. Everyone throw it up on your FB/linked in or whatever. And most importantly, get out there, drink and utilize the hell out of the service.

Really? I thought this was a component of the recent transportation bill. I know it was really scaled back, but I thought I remember reading this as being a big part?

I don't believe there was any real fix in the transportation bill. Just more patches. Nothing that would allow the T to actually start doing what it needs.

Tremendous news, abounding in common sense. I almost cannot imagine a highly demanded transit pilot program being unsuccessful in the CapeFLYER era. I say the service sheds the pilot tag by Memorial Day, and will be referred to simply as "The Boston Globe New Balance Boloco MBTA Late Nighter Presented by Harpoon." Book it!

Somehow, I just realized that NONE of the busses through Somerville are Key Routes. Ugh. There's going to be a lot of people taking cabs from Lechmere/Central/Sullivan/etc. GLX can't come soon enough.

Back