Lawrence Developments

cubalibre

Reaction score
I had an hour to kill in Lawrence this morning so I took a stroll down Main Street and around Campagnone Common.
While there is plenty of evidence that the city is struggling - empty storefronts, loitering, open drug use on the street - I found it reasonably clean, well-kept, and I felt safe.
Campagnone Common is enormous (think Boston Common) and impeccable. There are some very nice buildings on Main Street and around the Common that are in pretty good shape. There are some enclaves of interesting retail, bagel shops, and restaurants. Some of the large mill buildings on the Merrimack river have been converted into lofts and office space.

First Main Street:
tc5odxC.jpg

HOY6NxW.jpg

mN6FQHq.jpg

0sHT9My.jpg

KTersHD.jpg

XC79sga.jpg

f87UFQE.jpg

fuFRI6O.jpg

w1WNFfc.jpg

Court House:
Mh7TcE9.jpg

City Hall:
j8uTSPN.jpg

W3xJFMS.jpg

FsEf5jj.jpg

Converted Mills:
zp9gvq2.jpg

TDJOwkf.jpg

KwFF59q.jpg

JMVbIfu.jpg

Around Campagnone Common:
pvXufd4.jpg

hTz2D6h.jpg

G4zmbsp.jpg

a9e4s7O.jpg

iZgV0BQ.jpg

m4eRu6i.jpg

Boston City Hall's little sister: the public library
hOJz1o8.jpg

Lawrence High School:
ijcllJX.jpg

M5IxfEw.jpg

Back around the Common:
ehR1gEo.jpg

fOeCvTd.jpg

nEJGXhH.jpg

YEIx3n6.jpg

KSpbWbx.jpg

1DZcD4K.jpg

nD6dFk4.jpg

pnE5jAI.jpg

zSs1n9e.jpg

Last edited:
As they say, it has good bones. What we are seeing in NY state is more people get driven out of NYC due to cost who are relocating to upstate, Hudson river towns which have spent the last 50 years bombed out. Even in Troy, which I couldn't get out of fast enough when I was 15, you are seeing brownstones reaching the $1m mark (although this isn't common). No doubt this is happening in the Boston area as well and it will be small cities like Lawrence, Lynn, Lowell, and Worcester picking up the slack. I think it's a great thing to breath new life into these small cities.

As they say, it has good bones. What we are seeing in NY state is more people get driven out of NYC due to cost who are relocating to upstate, Hudson river towns which have spent the last 50 years bombed out. Even in Troy, which I couldn't get out of fast enough when I was 15, you are seeing brownstones reaching the $1m mark (although this isn't common). No doubt this is happening in the Boston area as well and it will be small cities like Lawrence, Lynn, Lowell, and Worcester picking up the slack. I think it's a great thing to breath new life into these small cities.

Completely agree on this. I spent a wonderful couple of weeks in the Hudson river area and was loving the quality of life.

I have a particular affection for Lowell and its canals, but all of the cities of the Merrimack river from Concord down to Amesbury are untapped in good bones potential.

Great Lawrence pictures. I don’t think I’ve ever been to the downtown.

And yes - the high cost of living’s silver lining is the rejuvenation of outlying towns and cities. I went to Hudson NY last fall and it was pretty unbelievable how boutique-y the main drag was (and how extensive)... but, step off Main Street and it was more bombed out than any town I’ve seen in Massachusetts.

More proof that we need an investment in Regional Rail...clockface service all day long...to connect places like Lawrence (and Haverhill, Lowell, Lynn, Framingham, & Worcester, (& Pawtucket/Providence) to the Boston economy.

Houston's outermost loop (99) is 30~35 miles out from downtown Houston--basically at the radius of our I-495-- being able to sprawl out that far has been what's kept Houston so affordable.

Boston's solution to affordability has already been built. We just have to connect it with rail.

Love this little car-free court in Lawrence. It is near the Common, downtown. Good looking houses, but the court looks a little forlorn these days.

1574807055559.png

1574807090855.png

It's a city that has been left to rot. Lowell, Haverhill and Nashua have ascended while Lawrence is essentially on the declination. The past two mayors promised to bring tech to the city and they couldn't deliver.

Insightful article on Lawrence’s struggles, recent small successes, and uncertain future in light of COVID-19

Like other gateway cities, the economic boom of recent years had more modest impact than it had in the large cities, and any hard-won gains are in danger to be wiped out.

Hasnt been posted

Lowell City Council OKs sale of Hamilton Canal land to Lupoli Companies
low-l-LupoliHighRes2.jpg

LOWELL — The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to authorize City Manager Eileen Donoghue to enter into a land disposition agreement with Lupoli Companies for five city-owned Jackson Street parcels located in the Hamilton Canal Innovation District.

It’s a major move for the redevelopment of this part of the city, in which Lupoli Companies CEO Sal Lupoli has envisioned a mixed-use development across multiple buildings, including a large tower.

Donoghue said it will be a minimum $30 million investment in the district.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lo...-hamilton-canal-land-to-lupoli-companies/amp/

Current plan
View attachment 33757
View attachment 33758
View attachment 33759
View attachment 33760
View attachment 33761
View attachment 33762
Project site
https://www.lupolicompanies.com/282-merrimack

So someone is confused here. I don’t think it’s me.

First picture looks like the Lowell project. The rest look like Lawrence?

Huh. I just kind of assumed that it was all Lawrence and the author just got the city wrong.

Color me actually confused now. Why are two different cities being discussed?

Hopefully I can clear this up. The news article and the first picture are related to development parcels in the Hamilton Canal district in Lowell that the city sold to Lupoli Companies for redevelopment (that mid-rise is planned on the parcel directly across the canal from the new court). Everything else below what reads current plan is related to the Lupoli Companies development plans for Lawrence.

Island Parkside

1709795479529.jpeg

“[ THE CHALLENGE ] Develop affordable housing on a prominent waterfront site to address the needs of a diverse community and reinforce the resurgence of Lawrence as a regional urban center.

[ THE RESPONSE ] Conceived of as a modern version of the historic mill building type, the project is comprised of two 5-story 40-unit apartment buildings with a linear courtyard between that serves to connect an adjacent city park with restored mill buildings containing residential and commercial spaces. The ground floor levels are occupied by resident and community amenities including a connected educational/athletic facility, the New Balance Squash Busters Center, by Stack + Co.”

Construction progress

1709795380486.jpeg

1709795393586.jpeg

1709795404777.jpeg

1709795531648.jpeg

1709795549233.jpeg

1709795562110.jpeg

1709795587130.jpeg

1709795597907.jpeg

1709795608181.jpeg

1709795619399.jpeg

Back