Lechmere Development

econ_tim said:
no need to get high-minded.

Don't listen to him ablarc! :!:

Some us like your high falutin' fancy-smancy book-learnin' writtins'.

Keep it up. :)

econ_tim said:
ablarc, no need to get high-minded.
Nothing high-minded, just telling it like it lives.

i am just trying to get you to clarify your definition of walkability. and using mount everest as an example is silly.
It's a reductio ad absurdum. Those are always inherently silly. By definition, absurd.

it is too early to tell whether kendall square will evolve into one of your urban utopias.
It's always too early. It might be too early to say if George W. Bush's Iraq policy will be a success. Let's wait till he wins before we speculate.

also you now seem to agree with me that kendall square and lechmere are walkable.
No, I don't; you must have misread what I said, or I put it unclearly.

Ron Newman said:
I'd call Cambridge Street walkable all the way from Lechmere to Harvard.
It's certainly more walkable than anything in Charlotte.

By Manhattan standards, it's not very pedstrian-friendly.

ablarc said:
It's certainly more walkable than anything in Charlotte.

Are you kidding me? Tryon St. between 3rd and 4th is WAY more walkable than Cambridge St. :D

atlrvr said:
Are you kidding me? Tryon St. between 3rd and 4th is WAY more walkable than Cambridge St. :D
Well, it is, but I didn't want to offend Ron.

It's especially walkable between noon and 1pm, and when the secretaries neglect to substitute their lunchtime sneakers for their heels.

ablarc said:
also you now seem to agree with me that kendall square and lechmere are walkable.
No, I don't; you must have misread what I said, or I put it unclearly.

well, to use your words:

A walkable place is one that?s not a hardship to walk.

since i don't find walking around main street or cambridge street a hardship then i was classifying these areas as walkable. maybe moving sidewalks would help?

econ_tim said:
since i don't find walking around main street and cambridge a hardship than i was classifying these areas as walkable. maybe moving sidewalks would help?

I don't think he meant a lot of physical exertion so much as a more mental drudgery.

statler said:
I don't think he meant a lot of physical exertion so much as a more mental drudgery.

Maybe so. I'm originally from a small town in Tennessee. There was a Wal-Mart less than half a mile from my house that I could not safely walk to. There were no sidewalks leading there, plus I would have to cross a 6 lane highway with no crosswalks and walk through several acres of parking lots. That is what I think of as an unwalkable community.

I guess we just have different standards.

statler said:
Yeah, it must be obvious that though on Saturdays Newbury's irregular sidewalks are too narrow and force you to duck around google-eyed tourists, it's still more walkable than Kendall Square at its best-engineered finest.

Charlotte has very smooth sidewalks; you can even ride your bike on them most places, since they're mostly free of people.

I grew up in suburbs that were certainly safe and quiet to walk in, but not pleasant because you walked by nothing but houses for 15-20 minutes before reaching any kind of commercial district.

Then my parents took me on a trip to Chicago, where we strolled up and down Devon Avenue. I never wanted to live in the suburbs again after seeing that street. (Is it still as great now as it was 40 years ago?)

econ_tim said:
I'm originally from a small town in Tennessee. There was a Wal-Mart less than half a mile from my house that I could not safely walk to. There were no sidewalks leading there, plus I would have to cross a 6 lane highway with no crosswalks and walk through several acres of parking lots. That is what I think of as an unwalkable community.

I guess we just have different standards.
Sounds like where I live. My neighbors tell me how walkable it is, to which I respond like the sphinx.

People in the South generally have low standards for walkability, since they don't do much walking and have never been to Chicago like Ron.

They think walkability is having sidewalks. I guess they'd find Siena unwalkable.

I need to revise my standards.

Btw, we'd better get back on topic, or vanshnookenraggen will put us in one of his tailor-made purgatories.

Back