Lesley University Dorms | 1663 Mass Ave. | Cambridge

A Japantown in one building (and you can't even tell it from the outside); one of my favorite Boston secrets.

I hardly knew ye.

Why is this project not more popular? It's not boring or made of glass and plastic. Nor is it prefab, and it's certainly not a landscraper. Those are the typical architectural complaints. From an urban design standpoint, it fills a missing tooth on Mass Ave. It's great for Lesley Unversity and the local shops and restaurants stand to benefit.

P6100028.JPG

P6100031.JPG

P6100032.JPG

Of course it's boring, and it's cheap. Practically prefabbed. How is it good for local shops and restaurants if they're being closed?

I agree that it fills a missing tooth and in some ways looks like it has always been there. Its hard to describe stylistically,but certainly not boring. It is indeed "pretty edgy", and different from all the other things we've been seeing lately in a good way. I can imagine living in one of those bays and thinking it's be pretty cool to live on Mass Ave.

I also agree with early comments that the rowhouse building is crap. why, o why did they do that!!

Back