Lewis Hall | Harvard Law School | Cambridge

Maybe they couldn’t match up the older marble panels with the new ones

778934A6-D622-4710-BACE-05FAF07ED7ED.jpeg
AC9DEE4A-5F75-4F7A-8697-3C1EAC515DA7.jpeg
844929E4-FA0A-4CEB-A4D2-C078A9CE9207.jpeg
3F67C3D8-74D5-4A2F-855F-535ABC06C7BA.jpeg

its a small gripe but why didn't they continue the corner detail on the first three floors to the forth floor... it makes an otherwise very well done addition look a bit like an afterthought.

Probably because it would make the corner glass on the top floor much more complicated and leak-prone.

its a small gripe but why didn't they continue the corner detail on the first three floors to the forth floor... it makes an otherwise very well done addition look a bit like an afterthought.

I agree. It looks like a modular/trailer addition.

I find that top floor jarring and terribly out of context. It's a very bad afterthought.

Last edited:
Probably because it would make the corner glass on the top floor much more complicated and leak-prone.
I agree. They would have had to notch the corner. This project was even more complicated than I thought. They appear to have added an occupiable basement with windows.

See below the corner and along the stone drainage strips.
16c296ff-45b5-41dd-8020-281c84697419-jpeg.20069

I believe basement is mostly Mechanical space

"The project consists of a renovation of the existing building, the addition of a 5th floor, and an addition to the building’s west elevation that will extend it out by 20 feet on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors on the side of the building facing Mass Ave. The scope of work also includes the installation of new windows, cleaning of the existing limestone façade, new landscaping, a renovated main entrance and terrace, and the complete replacement of all mechanical, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems throughout the building."

The first floor looks to be mostly below grade.

Back