Lofts Avana

BarbaricManchurian

Reaction score
Lofts Avana is a luxury apartment conversion in Chinatown, which adds 2 floors on top of a 10 story building. The signs at the site say it should be completed by "Spring 08".

Pics taken by me today:

Looking south toward the building:

IMG_1406.jpg

Close-up of the sign:

IMG_1407.jpg

didn't know about this one..

thanks for the updates today.

I'm completely against 'luxury' apartments anywhere near this area. It dilutes the real personalitly of the area and its slowly deteriating the culture here even further. Although I really like the Ritz towers, before them, the area was different and I'm sure before my time it was even more different. This, the Ritz, and One Franklin kills the spice of the area and the argument "is Boston built for babies" gains some steam. Combat zone? maybe, but did it have its advantages as far as getting things you usually can't? yes. I can't say I'm against that. Your safety is up to no one but yourself. Some would call it 'street smarts.' But I guess those don't exist anymore

^ It is true Chinatown is changing and is losing it's spice. On the other hand, it beats the Combat Zone of the 70's and 80's with cocaine, peep show stores, strip joints, and prostitution.

I would love to see Chinatown preserve much of what is great about it while growing and improving. At least rentals will preserve more of the character than condos.

One Franklin isn't really anywhere near Chinatown, so I don't see how it can damage that neighborhood's flavor.

There are 32 units in this building, so don't be too worried about "changing the fabric" of the neighborhood. The "luxury" in the title is pure puffery.

This building, specifically, has been "under construction" for around 2 years. They have been listed on and off for months. Several units are available as rentals, I assume because they can't find buyers.

So, don't worry. Nothing will change as a result of this one project. Nothing.

They have a killer website, though! Lofts Avana.

Last edited:
Ron wrote:
"One Franklin isn't really anywhere near Chinatown, so I don't see how it can damage that neighborhood's flavor."

Think it's safe to assume he meant 1 Lincoln

Be There In Minutes

Charles River 0.6 miles
Boston Common 0.2 miles
Closest Harbor 0.4 miles
Rose Kennedy Greenway 0.1 miles

Pretty good arguement against the need to use the South Bay/Gateway site for more open space.

This, the Ritz, and One Franklin kills the spice of the area and the argument "is Boston built for babies" gains some steam.

I'd prefer to not have Chinatown become another wealthy yuppie neighborhood as much as you. But since Chinatown currently has more children and babies than any other neighborhood in downtown, I'm not sure how a new loft style development that will undoubtedly be inhabited primarily by childless singles and couples contributes to the whole "Boston built for babies" allegation.

When you say "yuppie" do you mean of all colors and national origin? Because these units are being targeted toward Chinese / Asian people.

It is true Chinatown is changing and is losing it's spice. On the other hand, it beats the Combat Zone of the 70's and 80's with cocaine, peep show stores, strip joints, and prostitution.

There was cocaine too? I knew about the mushrooms, the purple lion (LSD), the crystal (speed) and the dollar joints. The street scene was unlike any other in Boston, slightly dangerous but also exciting. The suits forced to coexist with the homeless and the addicts. I don't ever recall the place being boring. People (many kinds of people) went there because there were products and services they wanted that were not provided anywhere else. Any city of size should have a "red light" district (especially a port city like Boston). But Boston has been hell bent on destroying these areas, first by destroying Scollay Square including the Old Howard theater and many other historic buildings. Then after these businesses relocated to the "Combat Zone" they were determined to destroy that area too, tearing down the Avery, the Gaiety theater and the Pilgrim burlesque. After the sanitizing they renamed it Midtown. Do you think these decisions were made in City Hall or was there some arm twisting from Lake Street in Brighton? Boston finally has a chance to be a major player in the convention business in this country, but IMO an adult entertainment district is a requirement of successful convention cities. The biggest threat to Chinatown was and is Tufts (New England) Medical Center.

When you say "yuppie" do you mean of all colors and national origin? Because these units are being targeted toward Chinese / Asian people.

There's no racial/ethnic requirement to be a yuppie that I'm aware of, although the overwhelming majority of them will be white in the US. The fact that the sample prices start at $399,000 for a 630 sq ft unit suggests this unit is being targeted towards better-off yuppies and not lower-income or blue color present day Chinatown residents. As for being targeted toward Asian/Chinese people, I'm white and had no problem accessing their english language only sales website.

yuppies are always white. Buppies are black - black urban professionals

I don't agree with this. Yuppie only means young, economically mobile professionals with a lot of disposable income. I don't think that ethnicity matters.

"Buppie" is a subset of Yuppie. So is Guppie (Gay Urban Professional), and other similar terms.

Ok ok, we get it. If this conversation continues then I'm gonna move it to the General section.

Back