Logan Flight Additions

jass

Reaction score
Jass -- Not at all surprised -- the Business Profile for Mexico City has little in common with Boston and I can't see much demand for Tourist flight to Mexico City
Well my dad is on that flight every month for one.

tysmith95

Reaction score
The cancellation of the New Mexico City Airport probably has something to do with it. The current airport is very slot constrained.

whighlander

Reaction score
Is a Business Profile a thing or just a intuitive concept? Is there a match-o-matic tool somewhere?
Arlington -- Business Profile is a "Thing" except that the definition is not always the same because it depends on the local jurisdiction making the assessment -- its a lot like SIC Codes or NAICS Codes -- there might be two codes that could describe a company

Similarly the Business Profile of a city or metro region could depend on the "catchment" -- thus if you ask how many semiconductor fabs are there in Boston [not counting something that might pass for a fab on a university campus] the answer would be 0. If the catchment is inside or on Rt-128 the answer would be 3 [Draper Lab [MEMS in Cambridge], Lincoln Laboratory [Lexington], Skyworks [Woburn]] By expanding further to I-495 you would also include Raytheon [I-93 Andover] and Analog Devices [Wilmington]. So your answer could range from 0 to 5.

Then once you have your categories -- you need to rank the businesses by some criteria such as $ investments, people working for the companies, sales, etc Make your list of the Top 10 and from that distill the Profile which best describes the business activity in the given city / metro. Sometimes there is a subjective factor involved such as while traditional financial services might not be a major element -- perhaps the city has a lot of start-up activity in Fin-tech such as crypto-currency.

Typically a similar looking profile implies similar interests and such a pair of cities would probably do better with better connections -- or example the AA triangle route [circa 1998] Austin, San Jose, BOS

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
^ I read this as "I post-rationalized BOS-MEX discontinuance, but declared it to have been predictable" describing the past with a claim of foresight.

Can you supply the pertinent business profiles for Boston and other cities which then correlate (in advance) with unsuccessful (MEX) and successful (choose 5) daily air service?

Extra Credit: use business profiles to prioritize unserved BOS-XXX nonstops based on profile affinities the airlines have overlooked

whighlander

Reaction score
^ I read this as "I post-rationalized BOS-MEX discontinuance, but declared it to have been predictable" describing the past with a claim of foresight.

Can you supply the pertinent business profiles for Boston and other cities which then correlate (in advance) with unsuccessful (MEX) and successful (choose 5) daily air service?

Extra Credit: use business profiles to prioritize unserved BOS-XXX nonstops based on profile affinities the airlines have overlooked
Arlington -- Not that clear-cut -- in an ideal situation with excess capacity [planes, slots, crews] JetBlue would still want to have BOS to MEX on its menu of flights for completeness [capital city of a fairly large and important country]
BUT --- if the numbers are not really there to support flying non-stop to MEX from BOS when there are other possible uses for the planes and crews -- then you go where the fit looks more promising

As for the rest -- by now I would assume most people on ABforum are familiar with the kind of things that makes Boston the unique city that we have here -- and could imagine connections that would make sense
I would certainly nominate Berlin for an under-served city with a similar Business Profile to Boston [though due to the bizarre situation involving the new airport -- Berlin has issues]

mass88

Reaction score
I wonder if Aeromexico or Delta will give it another shot? Given Delta's growth in Boston, and they have a lot of the A220 on order, maybe it could work with the 220 this time around?

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I wonder if Aeromexico or Delta will give it another shot? Given Delta's growth in Boston, and they have a lot of the A220 on order, maybe it could work with the 220 this time around?
From Delta's perspective it probably makes more sense to have people fly BOS-ATL then onward since Atlanta is already on the way and has proven demand...

adamh8297

Reaction score
From Delta's perspective it probably makes more sense to have people fly BOS-ATL then onward since Atlanta is already on the way and has proven demand...
I always thought JetBlue would rough it out until the A220 came and I also thought maybe Delta will do it with their Aeromexico partnership and their A220. I looked at this recently and realized: the geography of both Boston and Mexico City combined just do not work from a spoke and hub standpoint and the business and VFR ties are simply not enough to support the route.

Mexico City has great coverage to obviously Mexico and Central/South America but Houston, Miami, Atlanta, JFK/EWR and Panama City are better hubs to connect in for someone departing from Logan in terms of shortest travel distances. Even parts of Mexico are better suited to go through the USA hubs. Mexico City does work for connecting Western US to Central and South America. That is why similar length route like Seattle-Mexico City sticks around on AeroMexico.

jass

Reaction score
Aside from Cancun, most Mexico flights go through Mexico City.

Going Boston-Atlanta-MEX-Tuxtla doesn't make sense.

JFK, btw, has 5 airlines flying direct to Mexico City.

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
Jetblue is exiting [MEX] entirely. They're dumping JFK, Orlando, and even FLL, which was 2x daily.
Which gets me excited to think where they'll redeploy those resources.

atlantaden

Reaction score
More announcements from Korean Airlines concerning Logan.

kmp1284

Reaction score
So it looks like MEX isn't a Boston issue.
I’d rephrase that as ‘not exclusively a Boston issue’ though it’s probably not a viable route at all as AeroMexico couldn’t make it work either with a couple major advantages like brand loyalty/awareness and connections on the MEX side plus a Delta codeshare and premium cabin.

jass

Reaction score
Which gets me excited to think where they'll redeploy those resources.
This is all theyre saying:

JetBlue currently flies daily to Mexico City Juarez International from Boston, Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, New York John F Kennedy and Orlando using Airbus A320 aircraft. OAG Schedules Analyser data shows it offers almost 8,600 weekly two-way seats.

JetBlue launched flights to Mexico City from Fort Lauderdale and Orlando in October 2015. In 2017 the carrier obtained improved time-slots at the Mexican airport as part of the Delta and Aeromexico divestment process.

Scott Laurence, the carrier’s head of revenue and planning, explained that the redeployment should allow for more day-time transcontinental flights, as well as added capacity on routes from the US Northeast to Florida and seasonally to the Caribbean.

The page has a cool chart showing service by airlines.

Note that the big Aeromexico decline in 2019 was related to shifting some flights to Delta branding (which shows a corresponding large increase)

Would be nice to see Interjet in Boston. Their growth was hurt by the issues with their soviet plane order.

mass88

Reaction score
Spirit Airlines is cutting service to Baltimore/Washington in January.

tysmith95

Reaction score
Spirit Airlines is cutting service to Baltimore/Washington in January.
Ultra Low Cost Carriers work better on leisure routes, which BWI isn't.

Looks like they're also adding Puerto Rico (not sure if that's been posted here). I feel like that would be more profitable for Spirit compared to BWI.

Business travelers with company credit cards will try to avoid Spirit.