Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Per Delta, the service periods for both Lisbon and Edinburgh will be longer in summer 2020 than they were this past summer. Delta is going to have a nice network to Europe next summer.

London Heathrow
London Gatwick
Manchester
Edinburgh
Dublin
Lisbon
Amsterdam twice daily
Paris Charles de Gaulle twice daily
Rome

Next Best Bets for the next 2-3 years.

Athens (seasonal)
Barcelona (seasonal)
Berlin (seasonal)
Brussels
Madrid
Milan (seasonal)
Munich (seasonal)
Ponta Delgada (Seasonal, shift from JFK)
Tel Aviv
Vienna (Seasonal)

Next Best Bets for the next 2-3 years.

Athens (seasonal)
Barcelona (seasonal)
Berlin (seasonal)
Brussels
Madrid
Milan (seasonal)
Munich (seasonal)
Ponta Delgada (Seasonal, shift from JFK)
Tel Aviv
Vienna (Seasonal)

You'd need to see some kind of expansion for Delta over on their side of the airport. Even with the upcoming terminal E expansion, I can't see how Delta would be able to operate over 20 peak European flights with their current setup. Summer 2020, they will be at 11 flights and it'll be interesting to see how they manage it all.

You'd need to see some kind of expansion for Delta over on their side of the airport. Even with the upcoming terminal E expansion, I can't see how Delta would be able to operate over 20 peak European flights with their current setup. Summer 2020, they will be at 11 flights and it'll be interesting to see how they manage it all.

Very true... im just throwing out viable suggestions. It will be very interesting to see what DL does for expansion in the coming years. My best guess is expanding the satellite southward and relocating some of the cargo down there. They don't have many options, but thats one. I guess another option would be to get rid of 14/32 and do some stuff down there. Could add 30 new gates down there potentially.

DL has no intentions of physical expansion in the coming years, and they're barely changing how they operate, even with all the recent additional flights. Currently, you have one minor delay and it causes a domino effect on the entire terminal for several hours. Will be interesting to see how they function in the coming years.

More articles about the new Delta flights.

Last edited:
CNBC reporting that Delta is buying a 20 percent stake in LATAM, South America's largest carrier.

See also:

Interestingly enough with all this talk of American's contraction, AA announced new daily nonstop between BOS-LHR on a 777-200 starting in March. Buried in news of their Miami-South America adds (seemingly in response to the LATAM/Delta news). I wonder if this will have any impact on BA's BOS-LHR operations, or if BA will continue to operate as normal.

Interestingly enough with all this talk of American's contraction, AA announced new daily nonstop between BOS-LHR on a 777-200 starting in March. Buried in news of their Miami-South America adds (seemingly in response to the LATAM/Delta news). I wonder if this will have any impact on BA's BOS-LHR operations, or if BA will continue to operate as normal.

it has been confirmed that the AA flight addition will compliment BA's 4x Daily service, meaning Oneworld has 5 daily LHR flights. Boston will have 8 daily flights to LHR and 2 more to LGW, meaning the BOS-LON market will have 10 a day.

Level is also starting 3x weekly service to ORY airport, meaning the BOS-PAR market will have 4x Daily to CDG, and 3W to ORY next summer. So peak days will see 5 flights a day to Paris. Thats insane. Back in 1995, BOS had 1x to CDG on TWA and 5W on Air France.

This is great for Boston's economy. Companies will love this ... hopefully we see a few more developments spur from all this insane growth of air traffic in Boston. We should grow a healthy 10% this year to 9.5 million pax this year, and possibly 11-12 mil by 2022.

I do wonder how this large London growth will impact Norwegian's LGW-BOS passenger numbers. I've taken it a few times and it seems well travelled but it has notably bad connections on both sides of the Atlantic since they aren't part of a big alliance. Means that most consumer sites won't reccomend them because they usually rely on multi-ticket flights with no guaranteed connections unless you happen to be going just from LGW to BOS.

I'd personally like to see perhaps JetBlue partner with them but with their upcoming offerings it seems unlikely. JetBlue used to partner with Thomas Cook and offer single bookings from anywhere JetBlue served, via Boston to Manchester with Thomas Cook. Obviously that is no more. The JetBlue to Thomas Cook connection was even useful because you flew into terminal C on JetBlue and could connect to terminal E without leaving security.

^London is a market with a large Origin and Destination market. Still, there is a good chance that it could be over capacity with these new flights.

^London is a market with a large Origin and Destination market. Still, there is a good chance that it could be over capacity with these new flights.
All dependent on BREXIT and potential Trade Deal with US

One proposal which I just heard about -- without any official statements so far -- would extend the new USMCA to incorporate the UK as well [UK economy is more compatible with US and CA than with bulk of the EU]

Boston and Logan could really gain from such an agreement due to the approximately 1 hour closer flights via BOS

Very much so. AA should think about trying to connect passengers through places like Syracuse, Harrisburg, Rochester and eventually any newer flights they get. I think 10 flights a day to London with an A380 on BA is a bit overkill. Not to mention, B6 is planning a LON flight... ssomeone (Most likely Norwegian) is going to be shut off the route. But maybe not, the vast majority of

Also Im sitting in AA concourse now and the terminal from 5-7pm only has a few occupied gates. 1 LGA, 2 DCA, 1 ORD, 1 MIA, 1 SYR and a CLT. But by 8pm, I think only a DCA flight or two will be going out. They definetly have the gate space for LHR and possibly more expansions. This is prime time for TATL and the gates are pretty empty too. It doesnt hurt that this new Terminal B is absolutely gorgeous... Id love to see AA pick up a SAN, CDG again and possibly something to the Bay area. Love all these expansions however from AA affter a solid 14 years of downsizing.

As much as I'd like to see otherwise I don't think any expansion by AA is in the cards. This is all about the BA/AA JV and AA having the fleet elasticity to provide the added lift. BA is seemingly always short on planes and is also in the process of retrofitting 777-200s with their new business class product. I wouldn't be surprised to see this switch over to BA metal in the future, assuming it lasts.

AA lost a big opportunity when they receded from the Boston market, Boston has been very profitable for DL and Jetblue.

Very much so. AA should think about trying to connect passengers through places like Syracuse, Harrisburg, Rochester and eventually any newer flights they get. I think 10 flights a day to London with an A380 on BA is a bit overkill. Not to mention, B6 is planning a LON flight... ssomeone (Most likely Norwegian) is going to be shut off the route. But maybe not, the vast majority of

Also Im sitting in AA concourse now and the terminal from 5-7pm only has a few occupied gates. 1 LGA, 2 DCA, 1 ORD, 1 MIA, 1 SYR and a CLT. But by 8pm, I think only a DCA flight or two will be going out. They definetly have the gate space for LHR and possibly more expansions. This is prime time for TATL and the gates are pretty empty too. It doesnt hurt that this new Terminal B is absolutely gorgeous... Id love to see AA pick up a SAN, CDG again and possibly something to the Bay area. Love all these expansions however from AA affter a solid 14 years of downsizing.
Data may be more authoritative, but when they jiggered the gates on the AA side of B, they made no provision for a gate for aircraft larger than a 757. This is unlike the United gates, where there is at least one gate that can accommodate a 777.

AA lost a big opportunity when they receded from the Boston market, Boston has been very profitable for DL and Jetblue.

Not sure there’s room for two legacies to have major operations in Boston.

Not sure there’s room for two legacies to have major operations in Boston.
I think the interesting point is AA did create the secondary hub in Boston in the '00s, then pulled away from that concept. Not necessarily because Boston didn't work as a secondary hub, but they walked away from the concept wholesale, across their network.

Now DL is recreating the same concept. Perhaps with better timing (many more international connection options).

AA also just lost the entire south american business market.

I cant see them holding up through the next recession. Thats what happens when you let Ameria West runa global airline.

Back