Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

So it looks like MEX isn't a Boston issue.

Jetblue is exiting the market entirely. They're dumping JFK, Orlando, and even FLL, which was 2x daily.

Jetblue is exiting [MEX] entirely. They're dumping JFK, Orlando, and even FLL, which was 2x daily.
Which gets me excited to think where they'll redeploy those resources.

More announcements from Korean Airlines concerning Logan.

So it looks like MEX isn't a Boston issue.

I’d rephrase that as ‘not exclusively a Boston issue’ though it’s probably not a viable route at all as AeroMexico couldn’t make it work either with a couple major advantages like brand loyalty/awareness and connections on the MEX side plus a Delta codeshare and premium cabin.

Which gets me excited to think where they'll redeploy those resources.

This is all theyre saying:

JetBlue currently flies daily to Mexico City Juarez International from Boston, Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, New York John F Kennedy and Orlando using Airbus A320 aircraft. OAG Schedules Analyser data shows it offers almost 8,600 weekly two-way seats.

JetBlue launched flights to Mexico City from Fort Lauderdale and Orlando in October 2015. In 2017 the carrier obtained improved time-slots at the Mexican airport as part of the Delta and Aeromexico divestment process.

Scott Laurence, the carrier’s head of revenue and planning, explained that the redeployment should allow for more day-time transcontinental flights, as well as added capacity on routes from the US Northeast to Florida and seasonally to the Caribbean.

The page has a cool chart showing service by airlines.

Note that the big Aeromexico decline in 2019 was related to shifting some flights to Delta branding (which shows a corresponding large increase)

Would be nice to see Interjet in Boston. Their growth was hurt by the issues with their soviet plane order.

Spirit Airlines is cutting service to Baltimore/Washington in January.

Spirit Airlines is cutting service to Baltimore/Washington in January.
Ultra Low Cost Carriers work better on leisure routes, which BWI isn't.

Looks like they're also adding Puerto Rico (not sure if that's been posted here). I feel like that would be more profitable for Spirit compared to BWI.

Business travelers with company credit cards will try to avoid Spirit.

Though Logan cannot hold on to a Mexico City flight, it appears that with extra long haul slots at Tokyo Haneda Airport, Japan Airlines will be doubling down on Boston-Tokyo service with keeping the Narita flight and adding the daily to Haneda.

You have to translate both articles in Google Chrome Browser or Google Translate.

This may start as soon as the end of March 2020 when Summer Airline Schedules come into play.

Though Logan cannot hold on to a Mexico City flight, it appears that with extra long haul slots at Tokyo Haneda Airport, Japan Airlines will be doubling down on Boston-Tokyo service with keeping the Narita flight and adding the daily to Haneda.

You have to translate both articles in Google Chrome Browser or Google Translate.

This may start as soon as the end of March 2020 when Summer Airline Schedules come into play.
Adanh -- this is very important as with the evolution of the US relationship with China -- Tokyo and Seoul will become increasingly important
It would be nice if Singapore Airlines could get us a flight

Adanh -- this is very important as with the evolution of the US relationship with China -- Tokyo and Seoul will become increasingly important
It would be nice if Singapore Airlines could get us a flight

Singapore would be great but non-stop simply isn't viable right now...maybe by 2040. The only thing a BOS-SIN flight serves is SE Asia and a flight to SIN sort of overflies many destinations there (Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand)

Historically - Singapore has used their former ownership with Virgin Atlantic to grab Boston Traffic with the codeshare via London-Heathrow.

Today - not much has changed on that stance and in fact there are more options with this per increased service with the Daytime Heathrow flight.

I checked Singapore's site and they tend to still prefer you go through Heathrow along with feeding the JFK Frankfurt and/or the J-Class EWR flight via JetBlue. Unfortunately, some of layovers can be tight in Heathrow - I wouldn't do 1hr 15 min there. I know Turkish/Lufthansa has a codeshare too and Alaska is feeding the Seattle flight but nothing compares to the Heathrow options.

They have some options for Boston due to JetBlue relationship.

- Fifth freedom to Heathrow - probably too late and expensive slot-wise to do this. They would have to be really confident they could grab business fares (J).
- Fifth freedom to Geneva - J- traffic is there, partner feed potential (Swiss but not sure about their cooperation - Singapore seems to only allow high-fare economy to connect with Lufthansa), but Geneva is not high-volume to BOS or USA in general.
- Fifth freedom to Athens - volume is there, partner feed is there (Aegean), but J traffic isn't
- Fifth freedom to Brussels - somewhat larger market and probably hidden is size due to train access from Amsterdam, some J fares, partner is there as well.

I would love to see the Boston-Geneva-Singapore routing happen but there's another major factor: Emirates, Qatar, Korean, Cathay Pacific (issues in HK could help Singapore find an opening), possible increased Japan service and increased European service may have squeezed Singapore out.

At first I was surprised, but there are a few reason it actually makes sense:

1. JL flies low-density 789s to Boston with a very premium-heavy configuration. I've flown the route a bunch (unfortunately only in Y) and the cabin is nearly full each time. JAL has nearly 8 years of data (this route launched in 2012) and overall yields are good. What's more is that whenever I check, Expert Flyer shows J and W as nearly full almost every time. They're doing a good job of filling all seats, but especially so with the premium ones. That's a recipe for success.
  2. Going 2x daily, with one flight to HND and another to NRT improves their already good connection opportunities. NRT is the better jumping off point for International Asia connections (especially SE Asia) which make up a lot of JAL's BOS traffic. HND is better for O&D between Boston and Tokyo as well as better rail and air connections to Japan.
  3. Adding HND makes it tougher for their primary competitor, ANA, to jump into the Boston fray. Especially with Korean up gauging on BOS-ICN next year an offering similar connection opportunities. Both the ICN and NRT flights depart Boston at about the same time already.
  4. The Tokyo Olympics are next summer. If there was ever a time to try the route with minimal risk, it's during the Olympics.

Here's a bit of a shocker (especially to this UW-Madison grad who used to fly Midwest Express from BOS to Madison via Milwaukee). Sun Country just announced it is going to fly non-stop between Logan and Madison, WI (MSN - Dane County Regional) seasonally starting in May with flights twice weekly. Hopefully these flights continue through the fall football season. https://madison.com/business/dane-c...ign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Here's a bit of a shocker (especially to this UW-Madison grad who used to fly Midwest Express from BOS to Madison via Milwaukee). Sun Country just announced it is going to fly non-stop between Logan and Madison, WI (MSN - Dane County Regional) seasonally starting in May with flights twice weekly. Hopefully these flights continue through the fall football season. https://madison.com/business/dane-c...ign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
That's surprising. No connecting traffic on either side, and a small market. Plus, not much leisure traffic to the middle of Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I would have expected Delta to launch Madison eventually. It’s a small market but probably potentially lucrative as the headquarters for Epic Systems. Business travelers certainly aren’t going to chance it with a small leisure airline that only operates a flight twice a week and offers few alternatives in the event of a missed or cancelled flight.

That's surprising. No connecting traffic on either side, and a small market. Plus, not much leisure traffic to the middle of Wisconsin.

Maybe its the opposite?

Folks looking for a Boston vacation?

Is suspect there's a lot of Biotech & Computer Science connections that have resulted in Madison <--> Boston VFR traffic.

There are also approximately 1,000 students from New England states who attend UW-Madison. Nowhere near enough to support the route but could help with the May and August loads at least (and maybe October for parent's weekend if the flights continue through fall). Prices of these flights are cheap and much less than connecting in Chicago or Detroit.

How cool! Boston is 3rd highest in BA's most popular route for business class.

Really interesting stuff. Boston is the highest fare per mile, and the 4th highest average fare out of the bunch. I wonder what type of dent Delta and eventually JetBlue will put in the fare numbers.

Back