Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Old news but have to compliment Massport's aggressive moves over the past decade to intice foreign flag carriers, as well as domestic international fliers, such as Delta, to fly overseas out of Logan.

Cool article about airlines flying out of Logan. Any of you here that fly a lot on different airlines, agree with the rankings of the ones that fly out of Logan, or others like the top four, Air New Zealand #1, Singapore #2, All Nippon, #3, Quantas #4, that don't fly out of Logan.

I'm mostly in the economy cabin and I'd put JAL above Cathay and maybe on par with Emirates (though I believe Emirates has better premium cabins, I haven't flown in business or first on them yet). I'd put Korean ahead of Lufthansa and KLM too. In fact, I'd rather fly Swiss than Lufthansa if given the choice, but Swiss doesn't appear to have made the top 20. British Airways is probably skating by on the name. I don't think any of their cabins, service, or the experience on the ground warrant a top 20 ranking. My favorite is Singapore and I'll go out of my way to fly them. As far as domestic carriers go, I've never flown Alaska, though I hear great things (especially about their loyalty program). I agree that Delta is the best of the big American 3. They've come a long way. JetBlue is great for what it is, but I think when looking at the whole picture, it's easy to see why they aren't in the top 20 (lack of premium services, relatively small route network, etc.).

Sure, let's turn a calm, public access point on the harbor front into a noise pollution playground for the rich. Nothing wrong with that idea.

Are taxiing seaplanes really that much louder than the ferries that already arrive/depart Long Wharf throughout the day? Most of those boats leave their engines engaged at relatively high RPM to keep secure against the dock as they load/unload rather than tying up. It's anything but a quiet process. I have a hard time imagining a taxiing Cessna Caravan (or whatever small plane Cape Air will use) being much more disruptive.

Are taxiing seaplanes really that much louder than the ferries that already arrive/depart Long Wharf throughout the day? Most of those boats leave their engines engaged at relatively high RPM to keep secure against the dock as they load/unload rather than tying up. It's anything but a quiet process. I have a hard time imagining a taxiing Cessna Caravan (or whatever small plane Cape Air will use) being much more disruptive.
I am not so worried about taxiing as takeoff. I am assuming the seaplanes are not going to taxi out into the outer harbor for takeoff. Takeoff noise for a seaplane (even small ones) is in the 85 to 95 dB level. Pretty loud.

I'm not worried about noise so much as I'm worried about how disruptive to the harbor takeoff and landing would be. I don't know much about seaplane operations, but I'd expect that they need quite a bit of clearance, and the harbor is fairly haphazard with a variety of modes of boat traffic. Is the coast guard going to clear a landing zone everytime a seaplane comes in the same way they police traffic for an LNG tanker? Other vessels, like cargo barges, non-security-risk tankers, and ferries, clear their own space by virtue of their size and visibility, seaplanes don't have either of those benefits.

I am not so worried about taxiing as takeoff. I am assuming the seaplanes are not going to taxi out into the outer harbor for takeoff. Takeoff noise for a seaplane (even small ones) is in the 85 to 95 dB level. Pretty loud.

They're definitely loud on takeoff and landing, but I can't imagine they'll be doing the takeoff/landing piece of it anywhere near enough to Long Wharf to make a significant impact. It looks like there's too much around there for them to have a landing/takeoff zone close to shore. I'm not sure if this is still true, but the Eastie Times reported last May that they'd likely be taking off/landing pretty close to Logan (near the Hyatt Regency). Looking at the NOAA Chart, it seems like they might be able to find some space between Logan and the channel over in Eastie. The taxi to/from Long Wharf shouldn't be too bad. I'm just curious how the approaches would interact with existing Logan traffic. Looks like a proposed "runway" in the harbor would potentially conflict with Runway 4L/R and 9 approaches.

American Airlines is adding nonstop service from Boston to Austin. Flights will run twice daily Monday through Friday, not run on Saturday, and run at 1 daily on Sunday.

Service commences on April 7, 2020.

American will also be adding some short run special event service from Boston in 2020.

Augusta, GA for the Masters
Louisville, KY for the Kentucky Derby
Omaha, NE for the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting

American Airlines is adding nonstop service from Boston to Austin. Flights will run twice daily Monday through Friday, not run on Saturday, and run at 1 daily on Sunday.
The original Nerd Bird services. These were an AA staple 1996 to 2009. It is a little surprising that JetBlue hasn't laid on enough service to discourage AA from re-entering.

Last edited:
Air Canada is adding summer season service to Calgary from Boston.

Flights will operate once daily and run from June 22, 2020 through September 7, 2020. Equipment will be Airbus A319.

Air Canada is adding summer season service to Calgary from Boston.

Yup, here's the announcement.

And to also comment on Mass88's post concerning AA service to Austin, and seasonal to other cities, seems that AA is uping it's game in Boston.

Do that many people fly from Boston to Vancouver or Calgary in the summer? Guess I am in the minority who would prefer these flights operated in the winter so I could ski BC with a non stop flight.

Do that many people fly from Boston to Vancouver or Calgary in the summer? Guess I am in the minority who would prefer these flights operated in the winter so I could ski BC with a non stop flight.

Don't forget the people coming to Boston. These flights are going to carry a lot of Canadians coming to visit Boston and the region. Banff and BC are nice to visit i summer too.

Once Air Canada gets their fleet of A220s into service, there's a chance they will make one of these routes year round, most likely Vancouver.

The original Nerd Bird services. These were an AA staple 1996 to 2009. It is a little surprising that JetBlue hasn't laid on enough service to discourage AA from re-entering.

JetBlue hasn't owned the route because their schedule sucks. One of their two flights a day AUS-BOS arrives at 12:15am.

I fly to Austin regularly, and it's actually hard to do it direct, despite the three airlines on the route. I've often ended up on AA through Chicago or Dallas simply because I don't want to wake up at 4am or arrive at midnight.

All AA has to do to compete is leave at 8 and get back at 6 :).

Kind of crazy that Logan will have as many airlines serving Austin (4) as serving all the New York airports. Not the same frequency, but... FWIW, Chicago has 6, and SFO and LAX have 4 apiece.

Last edited:
Lots of people fly to Seattle and Vancouver in the summer for Alaska-bound cruises. Granted that's mostly weekend volume, but I'm sure some tack on stays in the area before or after the cruise.

Nice to see new Austin service; not complaining about the JetBlue schedule at all since it let me do AUS as a day trip once. Out in the morning, visited the client from lunch until 5, caught the flight home. Luckily had good weather in both cities and no tech issues (this was back when they only flew 190s on the route).

Back