"Lynnport Village" on the Lynnway

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
I do not have any knowledge of proposals or projects - past or present - involved with this underutilized land between the Lynn Way and the harbor. This is based solely on my own whimsical fantasies and wandering imagination.

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...34766256038742.000492d092e304febfb49&t=k&z=15

The land purchased in this project would be primarily unused/vacant. Some would be bought off of trucking and hauling businesses, and scrapyards/impound lots. There is also the Lynn sewerage treatment plant which I have no idea what to do with them, but they MUST change something about the open-air treatment process. Make a facility like Deer Island somewhere, so it doesn't stink, or somehow hook the system into the Deer Island facility itself.

The village would put a good stretch of Lynn waterfront to some use, and could be a great coastal residential development. It would be comprised of apartments and a few condo units. My primary inspiration is Oak Grove Village, which I spent about 10 seconds looking at a map of, and the buildings on Revere Beach. The big attraction would of course be the units along "Marine Blvd" facing the harbor. Also, the very urban-feeling "Lynnport Common" with a nice one-block greenspace surrounded by some ground level retail will have a big pull. And, of course, tied into a bikepath system that runs along the water and connects the whole village.

I have not mapped out the buildings as I see them as of yet, but may do that later. I would try not to have any parking lots at all. Maybe a parking lot underneath the buildings, but that's the extent of it. I would encourage biking and mass transit. This would preferably take place after some sort of Blue Line extension to Lynn, with a West Lynn station.

This would hopefully be the beginning of dense redevelopment of the area, with the next move being the entire area around the railroad tracks and the Lynnway up to Lynn Center.

[/fantasy]

Lynn has arranged for National Grid to remove its electric transmission lines from this area, precisely to allow for development proposals such as yours.

I like the name Lynnport, by the way, as it echoes historic local names such as Newburyport, Rockport, Harwichport, and Hyannisport.

Last edited:
What kind of world would we live in without the LynnwayMart? You monster!

Lynn has arranged for National Grid to remove its electric transmission lines from this area, precisely to allow for development proposals such as yours.

Ah, very good. I forgot to mention that. I was going to add that they'd have to bury them or just spool out some underwater cable.

I like the name Lynnport, by the way, as it echoes historic local names such as Newburyport, Rockport, Harwichport, and Hyannisport.

Thank ya'. I'm terrible with naming things and making titles, but I did find it to be a nice one for the reasons you mention, plus the predominant use of Lynn as a prefix and such (ie: Lynnway, Lynnshore Drive, etc) and it's location on the Lynn Harbor.

What kind of world would we live in without the LynnwayMart? You monster!

LOL. God forbid! But I did indeed leave it relatively untouched in the map I made. ;)

I had never heard of Lynnway Mart before this post. What did it use to be -- Wal-Mart?

Back