Maine College of Art | Live & Learn Center/ Campus Expansion | Portland

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Maine College of Art intends to create Live/Learn center with undergraduate housing, event space, classrooms and art studios.

The rendering shows a location on York St, although apparently a site hasn't been officially selected, and it may end up being a renovation of an existing space rather than new construction.

Mainebiz article regarding the expansion:

livelearn.jpg

Last edited:
So, the awkwardly-sloped parking lot next to Portland Pie (caveat all the disclaimers).

This would be amazing if it were a new build. Plenty of empty lots!! <3

This looks like the same landscape architect a few years back for Cotton street design project, plus I am surprised to see the lumberyard in the design. Is the renovation of the old New England Telephone building going forward?

This looks like the same landscape architect a few years back for Cotton street design project, plus I am surprised to see the lumberyard in the design. Is the renovation of the old New England Telephone building going forward?

I realized after I posted that this may be an older rendering that MaineBiz found somewhere, unless the artist deliberately left out Hobsons Landing to get a better line-of-sight for the MECA building.

I realized after I posted that this may be an older rendering that MaineBiz found somewhere, unless the artist deliberately left out Hobsons Landing to get a better line-of-sight for the MECA building.

The new logo (MECA&D) on the signage suggests it’s a recent rendering

JB Brown and Sons own that plot. They have a sketch of a proposed project on that lot for the past few years on their website. JB Brown will build the building just like the VA on commercial. Lease it to the school. Just as the VA will do. Will they give up the phone conpany building on Forest Ave for this property? Boulos still has the property under contract.

Don't locate this so far away from the current school. Don't make students walk at night or in the winter. Transportation is not always ready and convenient. This school has to be together or it becomes like USM Portland-Gorham--divided. If you are truly a "creative" school, then "design" it above the ugly parking garage behind (with a connecting sky bridge), or above the Renys (set back). It's an urban school--cities do that. Raise the money. A small group of inexperienced--though determined--women at the new Children's Museum were able to raise $14 million. There are recent new billionaires literally throwing money around for educational purposes (Melinda Gates and MacKenzie Scott, each with tens of billions of dollars). Just give 'em a call. Find some connections. Do the work.

Last edited:
Thinking about this a bit over the weekend...if MECA was intent on renovating an existing space, 465 Congress would be a perfect space for them to occupy. It's already been recently renovated as commercial space, although is still largely empty due to COVID. It's a historic building with lots of character that would be very attractive to out-of-state students. It has big windows, tall ceilings and lots of flexibility, perfect for art studio space. It's also a <5 minute walk to their main campus. MECA could make the first few floors into studio / classroom / event space, with the upper floors used for undergraduate housing.

Not a bad idea but it would probably never happen due to multiple reasons. Available square footage (50-80K) far exceeds MECA's needs, building's owner made the decision to move forward as office use and additional renovations to convert upper floors into dorm rooms would not be feasible, rental costs ($16-19 per sf) would far exceed MECA's financial sensibility to a secure long term lease, high end interior finishes do not mesh well with young college art students and M&T Bank plans to maintain (at last check) the current banking space in the lobby and mezzanine after it's merger with People's United Bank is completed this fall. My prediction is that one of Portland's many law firms will eventually lease a majority of the tower with an insurance entity being my other guess.

M&T Bank plans to maintain (at last check) the current banking space in the lobby and mezzanine after it's merger with People's United Bank is completed this fall.
I hope so! That might be the finest old school "This Is A BANK!" space in the state, save maybe the Bangor Savings original HQ.

JB Brown and Sons own that plot. They have a sketch of a proposed project on that lot for the past few years on their website. JB Brown will build the building just like the VA on commercial. Lease it to the school. Just as the VA will do. Will they give up the phone conpany building on Forest Ave for this property? Boulos still has the property under contract.
We have the phone company under contract - MECA has chosen not to move forward with their plan but we have a plan B! Which will be rentals - small ones - but rentals. ~ C

We have the phone company under contract - MECA has chosen not to move forward with their plan but we have a plan B! Which will be rentals - small ones - but rentals. ~ C
Redfern -
Is that 45 Forest Ave? Does that include the Art Deco Building on the corner, or is that separate?
Would love for that old bomb-shelter looking building behind it (corner of Oak and Cumberland) to be replaced. That thing is ghastly.
What is at 380 Cumberland Ave? That used to be a phone building, I think?

Redfern -
Is that 45 Forest Ave? Does that include the Art Deco Building on the corner, or is that separate?
Would love for that old bomb-shelter looking building behind it (corner of Oak and Cumberland) to be replaced. That thing is ghastly.
What is at 380 Cumberland Ave? That used to be a phone building, I think?
45 Forest is the very handsome brick building with green windows - 55 Forest is the Art Deco building on the corner. We only have 45 under contract (we have been trying to purchase all 3 for about 5 years) but Consolidated only put 45 up for sale. 45 & 55 are physically connected and share HVAC systems, etc. Separating them is both fascinating and quite the task. Actually just met with some folks with Portland Downtown about adding that wall to our mural project. It's a very sad, sad section of cumberland!....it would run around the back of the building on Oak, turn the corner and go to the end of that building where the Art Deco one starts.

Going by Google Maps, 45 has the microwave tower on top. It's that still in use or is it just a relic now? Or has it become a cellphone tower?

Going by Google Maps, 45 has the microwave tower on top. It's that still in use or is it just a relic now? Or has it become a cellphone tower?
We think those are all non functioning but no one is 100% sure - party of the systems we are working through separating. I want to take them all down - it's such an eyesore. ~C

Back