Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

LeTaureau

Reaction score
We need updates on this project, since the former thread is lost. I noticed a nice crane has arrived at the site. There is a great view of the big red bird from my office across the river. If only I had a swank camera.

From yesterday:

mandarin.JPG

Nothing new, just reposting what was lost in the Great Crash of '06

5567dy.jpg

Walked by the site today. Excavation is complete, and at least 75% of the sub-basement floor is poured. Depending on what type of core they use, we could be seing steel soon.

Great news, I want to see this thing go up!!

Hows Trilogy doing?

99% of the exterior is done. The one big missing part was the crown for the southeast corner, which is now up. I believe it's louvered, and it is green, same color as the window frames on that side of the building. I don't have a camera anymore ( :evil: ), so words will have to suffice....

** Someone else please take over my construction update duties on the Mandarin and Trilogy! **

kz1000ps said:
99% of the exterior is done. The one big missing part was the crown for the southeast corner, which is now up. I believe it's louvered, and it is green, same color as the window frames on that side of the building. I don't have a camera anymore ( :evil: ), so words will have to suffice....

** Someone else please take over my construction update duties on the Mandarin and Trilogy! **

you're not talking about the mandarin are you? The foundation is still being poured.

Yes, but the entire western portion is done. I didn't get over to the eastern side, nor could I see from the west because of the big metal tubes holding the foundation walls up blocking it out. But up to and including the middle portion everything looked done, save for maybe a couple of approximately 20 x 20 foot patches. Yes/no?

I'm sure many of you have already noticed its presence on the skyline, but a second crane is on its way up (it looked like just the cab and boom are needed). Also, the floor slab is entirely poured, and walls for the lowest basement level are somewhere between 30-50% complete.

^That's a real slick rendering ... I hope the real thing can live up to it. It's sort of like watching NYC's 15 Central Park West rise - both are sheathed in limestone and have aspirations to be the best of the best, but who knows how they'll turn out. Anyway..

Steel is rising! 6 columns are up to street level, although no beams have connected them together yet. The basement floor looks to be entirely poured, all the 4-ft-diameter tubes used to hold the slurry wall in place are gone, and HVAC equipment has started to appear. The little western-most section in between the garage driveway and the mall entrance has steel up to the first floor, that part not having any basement.

For all of those with a camera, now'd be a good time to get some shots. Steel parts practically cover the floor.

Unfortunately, there will never be such a view of that building to begin with. Boylston street right there is so thin and the buildings across the street are so close. That is such a great rendering, though, I love it.

You can see in the rendering the "glassy" ground across Boylston from it, which are where the buildings on the other side are. Oh well, what can you do. I'm sure the real views will be great, but they'll be from more of an upward angle as you'd be closer to the building.

Is Mandarin Oriental a British company, because in the rendering the union jack is flying right next to the American flag.

^ the company is asian, the first one was in Hong Kong. i have no idea about the flag.

Is that maybe a view from inside a window of one of the buildings across the street?

The glassy silver part of the ground is the footprint of the buildings across the street, which means that the view would be impossible unless you were standing all the way on NEWBURY street, AND all the buildings in between Newbury and Boylston were torn down.

Now, imagine standing in that picture where Boylston St. ends and the glassy silvery area begins, and then look at the Madarin. It would be a much closer and higher angle.

But, like i said, this building IMO will still be amazing, we just wont get these particular views.

Yeah, nothing to lose sleep over. The render misleads, but how often do they not do that?

But I'm curious, what will happen to the garage/service entrance that is currently just east of the Boylston entrance to the Pru mall? According to the site plan, it'll be completely wiped away by the third of the Mandarin farthest to the west. Now I don't know the network of parking ramps and such that goes on under the complex, but this can't be a big loss, can it? And seeming how the subterranean basement comes right up to the existing road, some 75 ft. further west than the smaller middle section shown in the site plan that Bosma posted, I don't see how things line up. I suppose I'm just over-analyzing..

If I remember correctly (and if I'm understanding you correctly) they wiped away that entrance lonnnng ago

No the one I'm talking about is still in heavy use. It's about 30 feet east of the mall entrance and goes into the complex (perpendicular to Boylston), rather than the parking ramp entrance that used to run parallel to Boylston, which is what I believe you're talking about. That was wiped away this time last year.

Back