Mass Roads Not Worst

underground

Reaction score
Surprise, surprise; Mass roads are not only not the worst in the nation, they are actually the safest! Don't take my word for it, some crazy scientist from North Carolina proved it. What's even more interesting is that, in comparison to other states in the Boston to DC corridor, we rank pretty well. This definitely runs contrary to what most people have been saying, but I think all of the complaints in regards to MA roads are primarily due to Big Dig fatigue and suburbanites who feel that they aren't getting their piece of the state budget pie. Well, you know what I say? Screw the suburbanites - their roads are fine! Now, how about some trains that work for the rest of us?!
www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/06/28/study_ranks_states_by_road_condition/
www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/06/28/study_ranks_states_by_highway_conditions/

"some crazy scientist" is just about right.

I took this professor for a class in "Urban Transportation Problems" many years ago, and his solution to every transportation problem is to widen roads, and pay for it by diverting mass transit funds into highway funds, because mass transit doesn't make sense.

I think I got a C- of a D because I just couldn't take the class seriously.

The crazy scientist is right.

I used to bring groups of Carolinians to Boston by van. They invariably decried what they thought was crazy, aggressive driving of Bostonians and New Yorkers --including myself, once I got to the Northeast.

What they didn?t know and were incapable of perceiving was that elaborate communication was taking place through eye contact and subtle hand movements. These made what appeared to them as abrupt and seemingly reckless driving not only possible but actually quite safe.

In the South, drivers almost never make eye contact; they pretend not to see each other instead, because to acknowledge the presence of others might obligate them to some extravagant act of charity like letting a driver onto the highway at an entrance ramp. So they drive smoothly and tailgate the car ahead; that way no one can get in front of them.

Driving as belligerent, aggressive, mean, competitive and hostile blood sport. Behind the wheel, Southerners who pride themselves on their culture?s supposed courtliness, act with a cold-blooded rudeness they?d never display standing in line to pay at a convenience store -- where being on foot they can?t pretend others don?t exist. ?My goodness, how nice to see you,? they might instead exclaim with insincere bonhomie.

You?ll find cars lolling forlorn in the breakdown lane hoping for a break in traffic so they can high-tail it onto the highway; they were put in this position by their fellow drivers who turned blind eyes to them and who regard as God-given the right to not lift off the accelerator, the right to drive at 20 mph over the speed limit, and the right to simultaneously tailgate.

This emphasis on rights rather than compassion accounts for the fact that where I live the accident-rate is over four times Boston?s and that every second day my morning commute features a crawl-inducing multi-car injury-accident.

ablarc said:
The crazy scientist is right.
In the South, drivers almost never make eye contact; they pretend not to see each other instead, because to acknowledge the presence of others might obligate them to some extravagant act of charity like letting a driver onto the highway at an entrance ramp. So they drive smoothly and tailgate the car ahead; that way no one can get in front of them.

Driving as belligerent, aggressive, mean, competitive and hostile blood sport. Behind the wheel, Southerners who pride themselves on their culture?s supposed courtliness, act with a cold-blooded rudeness they?d never display standing in line to pay at a convenience store -- where being on foot they can?t pretend others don?t exist. ?My goodness, how nice to see you,? they might instead exclaim with insincere bonhomie.

You?ll find cars lolling forlorn in the breakdown lane hoping for a break in traffic so they can high-tail it onto the highway; they were put in this position by their fellow drivers who turned blind eyes to them and who regard as God-given the right to not lift off the accelerator, the right to drive at 20 mph over the speed limit, and the right to simultaneously tailgate.

This emphasis on rights rather than compassion accounts for the fact that where I live the accident-rate is over four times Boston?s and that every second day my morning commute features a crawl-inducing multi-car injury-accident.

^ It's all so true. I used to comment all the time how few accidents I see in Boston, because in Charlotte I would witness collisions on a regular basis, including a motorcycle T-boning an impatient cab driver at 45 miles per hour less than 10' from where I was sitting. There is no eye contact...you just close your eyes and stomp on the gas.

My inlaws can't stand when I drive them around Boston because they think I'm being reckless (especially driving down Essex through Chinatown), so when I get pissed and say "fine, you drive!!" their oblivious as to what to do, and are under a constant barage of horns directed at them from all directions....

ablarc, I don't know if you've driven in Atlanta yet, but Charlotte is just the introductory class to southern metro driving. I delivered pizzas for a year at a downtown location, and it was full on combat. Driving on I-85 is only possible if you are willing to drive 90 mph and tailgate closer than 20'. If not, don't try, you're only endangering yourself and the other 4 million people simultaneously on the 9 lane wide (in one direction) interstate.

atlrvr said:
ablarc, I don't know if you've driven in Atlanta yet, but Charlotte is just the introductory class to southern metro driving.

Oof. Oh my, yes. Compared to the gladiator races you'll encounter on I-85, 128 is like a saunter down a quiet country lane. Atlanta taught me a lesson in humility at the tender age of 22. "I'm from Boston. I cut my drivin' teeth on Storrow Drive. Now what could possibly be so bad ab-- HOLY CRAP I'M WALKIN."

As someone else who's lived/driven in the South (Atlanta) for a bit, I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about. The Highways down there are like Nascar races because there's 5-6 lanes and everyone does about 80mph+. I didn't find it too bad because I preferred it to doing 65-70 on a 3-lane 128/3/etc.

Talking about eye-contact of Southern drivers, or actually the lack thereof, I found that unbelieveable. I'll give an example. I was driving with some friends from Atlanta (one from Boston who moved to ATL) around the city. I hit a 4-way intersection and everyone went then the person to my right just sat there. We must have sat for like 15 seconds during pretty heavy traffic. My turn was next so finally I was like "fuck it then, I'll go" and as I start to move the guy on the right flies out and stops in the middle of the road and starts screaming at me. I stuck my head out my window and yelled back and then he finally just zoomed off. I didn't get what his problem was, but my friend (from Boston) told me that she encounters that all the time. People not realizing when it is their turn to move at intersections and then zooming out when you try to go.

Back