Massachusetts General Hospital Building For The Third Century

BarbaricManchurian

Reaction score
Massachusetts General Hospital is building a new building "which will address specific needs of the hospital’s emergency services, radiation oncology, radiology, inpatient and outpatient surgery and related support procedures, and acute and intensive care inpatient capacity." (http://www.mghgifts.org/areas.asp?id=capital)

Pics by me (renders by MGH):

Renders:

building_feb07_1.jpg

building_feb07_2.jpg

building_feb07_3.jpg

building_feb07_4.jpg

Project notification:

IMG_0794.jpg

Construction site overview (demolishing historic buildings in front, recladding ones in back):

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Close-ups of the recladding:

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

This building will be demolished shortly, you see that it's prepped for demolition:

IMG_0801.jpg

Buildings already demolished:

IMG_0802.jpg

BarMan, you were certainly busy this past weekend! Super pics/narrative and thanks for including the renderings! Very sharp additions to MGH!
I hate to think what sort of backwater city Boston would be without it's Medical Facilities and Research Universities and smaller colleges that are located here. Imagine Boston/Cambridge without MIT, Harvard, BU, Northeastern, BC, Suffolk, Simmons, Emerson, Emmanuel, NE Conservatory of Music, Berklee...and all the rest along with MGH, Tuft's-New England, BU Medical Center, Children's, Brigham and Women's, etc. You get the picture. Would it's financial institutions be enough to keep the city going? The Pharmecuticals certainly wouldn't be here no any of the tech industries. And yet, especially with the Universities and Colleges, almost whenever they try to expand (even when it means great improvements to the existing neighborhoods) they are met with such hostile resistance it's mind-boggling. Not saying they should have carte-blanche to do whatever but it seems like the present time, they're damned if they do...damned if they don't. Many cities would kill to have any one of the above institutions relocate to their city....Boston is very, very lucky to have such a concentration of medical and educational institutions.

Here's some more pics by me (sorry for the bad image quality, most are heavily zoomed and at night):

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

Seems like they're not recladding the brick buildings like I said earlier, but deconstructing them.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

And a bonus shot from the other end of the parking garage where I took these pics:

IMG_0917.jpg

Re: MGH Building for the Third Century

"Clean materials" and "Bright colors" = Code-phrases for "We're making it look like a stereotypical hospital. Warm? Inviting? Nope!"

Pics, mockup and on-site renders from yesterday:

img7129xx3.jpg

img7133rr8.jpg

img7136ks3.jpg

img7167ra9.jpg

Mockup:

img7151dp3.jpg

img7152zu2.jpg

img7153eg3.jpg

renderings posted on-site:

img7139hc6.jpg

img7140qi0.jpg

img7142ju0.jpg

img7143do0.jpg

img7144ni5.jpg

img7145vr4.jpg

img7146le0.jpg

MGH has a lot of great buildings. The view from the yawkey building is spectacular.

Yes. Well, just behind a little brick building.

8/21:

img8431dq9.jpg

img8432wu5.jpg

img8433zj8.jpg

img8435ky9.jpg

img8437jz7.jpg

img8438ee2.jpg

And leaving the Yawkey building in the passenger seat of this Tahoe was none other than Senator Ted Kennedy!

img8430og7.jpg

It was funny because before I knew who was in the vehicle I heard the employees saying "everything good?" "take care", "have a safe trip!" and the like, which I laughed at in my head, thinking "Damn, that's some friendly service! Is this how they treat everyone leaving their parking garage?" Of course a split second later I looked in, saw who it was, and snapped the blurry pic. Mr. Kennedy then smiled and waved to me right after that.

Last edited:
^ like that last one ,a little taller and it would have added to the skyline,2 from today they don't allow you to slow down(when driveing) in this area ,so pardon the pixs!
055-8.jpg
057-6.jpg

Yea I was walking by there to visit a friend @ Spaulding Rehabilitation Center last Friday...the development looked really cool. I should have taken a picture while I was there.

Back