Massachusetts Turnpike/I-90 (Current Projects, Conceptual Improvements, & Long Term)

themissinglink

Reaction score
I'm starting this new thread about the Mass Pike since there isn't a dedicated thread for the Pike itself. We've got a thread for the 495/90 interchange project, but this thread is more of a catch-all thread for all things Pike-related, whether it's an ongoing project, a long-discussed concept, a significant traffic incident, or your own idea(s) for improvements. The Pike is more than important enough and gets discussed enough on aB to warrant its own dedicated thread, IMO.

A recent project to minorly improve Exit 41 in Westfield was completed earlier this month. The project added a new right-turn signal and new pavement markings.

A study completed in 2021 for the City of Westfield explored more significant and intensive modifications to exit 41. However, the improvements outlined in the study were not part of this project and it's unclear if they are still being considered.

One of the improvements that was looked at in the study was a potential new onramp from Westfield Industrial Park Road to I-90 eastbound. This new ramp would provide access to I-90E from the industrial park without funneling traffic (and especially trucks) through the US-202/MA-10 & Friendly's Way signalized intersection.
onramp.JPG

Reconfiguring the intersection with Arch Road or even outright relocating Arch Road was examined in the study.

arch road 1.JPG

arch road 2.JPG

Another proposal from the study is a rotary/roundabout that would replace the signalized intersection at US-202/MA-10 & Friendly's Way. I could see this somewhat improving the current traffic situation, although it would probably be a nightmare for pedestrians and cyclists (although the current setup isn't much better).
rotary.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon, there was a large oil spill on North Elm Street in Westfield, shutting down both Exit 41 and US-202/MA-10 for hours. The oil spill caused major traffic chaos and congestion in the surrounding area, as drivers attempted to find an alternate route. The exit ramps as well as North Elm Street did not reopen until after midnight.

They've got to get rid of the signalized intersection at the I-291 exit. That's got to be the single worst-configured Pike interchange out there.

They've got to get rid of the signalized intersection at the I-291 exit. That's got to be the single worst-configured Pike interchange out there.
Agreed, I'm surprised that it's persisted this long. Do you know if there have ever been any proposals for replacing the intersection with a full interchange?

Back