Mayor halts construction on Boston's streets

statler

Reaction score
The Globe said:
Mayor halts construction on Boston's streets
Cites poor road repairs; contractors, utilities upset

By Andrea Estes, Globe Staff | June 23, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino, after riding down a roughly repaved Dorchester Avenue, has abruptly halted all construction on Boston streets by utilities and contractors, saying he is fed up with the ragged condition of the roads.

In an unprecedented step, the mayor has also directed his public works commissioner to stop issuing permits allowing contractors to cut into the pavement.

Menino said the streets are being cut open by utility companies and others, then unevenly repaved, making driving through the city a bumpy ride. ``Streets are not being restored to their original condition and I'm tired of it," he said.

The mayor said he had received many complaints about sagging and poorly repaved roads, but it wasn't until this week, after being driven in his city sport utility vehicle on a stretch of Dorchester Avenue at Adams Street, that he decided to act.

``One utility did a cut and didn't put the street back the way it was," he said. ``I went down the street, and there was a 4-inch drop . . . and a rumble effect. I'm not going to stand for it. "

The halt to construction has startled some contractors, who say the moratorium, during high season for construction, will cost them time and money.

In a letter sent Tuesday to Public Works Commissioner Joseph Casazza ordering the moratorium, Menino said he has ``never seen our roadways so disrupted by utility cuts and poor repavement jobs."

Contractors who cut into city streets for all but the largest construction projects are required to pave them over with ``temporary patches" that must meet city specifications. They are supposed to fill the hole, tamp it down, and cover it with asphalt, and smooth the patch so it is even with the existing street. In cases where a street is cut open in numerous areas, the city will put a repaving project out for bid and fix it all at once.

But it's the smaller temporary patches that are the problem, Menino and other city officials said.

According to Michael Galvin, Menino's chief of basic services, the city tries to monitor the work and has shut down some construction jobs because stretches of street were being poorly repaved. The city has even made ``quick patches" itself, Galvin said.

With hundreds of construction projects ongoing in Boston's neighborhoods, Menino's edict could have a profound impact.

According to Galvin, there are 345 construction projects under way in the city on any given day. He said the city would continue to allow emergency work, such as gas leak or electrical outage repairs.

Otherwise, he said: ``Everything is stopped cold. If there was someone out there with a little left to do, we let them fix it. By tomorrow there will be nobody out there."

Galvin said he would meet next week with city officials, contractors, and utility company representatives to review the quality of repaving and grading expected by the city. The contractors will receive a detailed list of guidelines for patching street openings.

``We'll tell them: `We understand you have to do business, but we're not going to give you carte blanche to do what you want in the city,' " Galvin said. ``There are companies that are diligent and do a great job, but there are others . . . I've spoken to a few. They all say `it's not us.' "

Menino instructed Casazza to issue no permits until the Public Works Department develops a plan ``that will allow for the necessary work to be done while ensuring that our streets are restored to their former condition."

As word leaked of the mayor's decision, contractors and utility companies called the city to complain, Menino acknowledged.

``We've had letters from utility companies and construction companies saying, `You can't stop our work.' Just do the work the right way, and we won't stop you," said Menino. ``I have an obligation to the taxpayers. . . . [The workers] are causing an inconvenience to the taxpayers of our city."

Surprised contractors, who said they never heard of a municipality taking such action, said the suspension would cost them time and money, though it was not immediately clear how much.

``We just found out about it late this afternoon," said John Pourbaix of Construction Industries of Massachusetts, which represents contractors. ``We made a number of calls to the city and did not get answers. The biggest problem contractors are facing right now is uncertainty. They don't know when the suspension or moratorium is going to be lifted. "

``Construction is very, very labor intensive and with collective bargaining agreements, most or many of the trades are guaranteed a 40-hour week," he said. ``So if they work one day it's as good as five days. It's a huge, huge expense for contractors."

Beyond that, he said, contractors need to be able to schedule their work, and often face penalties if they fail to meet promised completion dates. ``Equipment is rented or leased," he said. ``Jobs have completion dates."

A spokeswoman for Keyspan, one of the biggest excavators of city streets, said the company is hoping the dispute is resolved quickly.

The city's ban on work ``is being honored and respected," said Keyspan spokeswoman Carmen Fields, adding that the company ``looks forward to continuing a dialogue and getting a reasonable reconciliation of the issues involved." She said Keyspan strives to meet the highest construction standards.

``We work very carefully to coordinate with other utilities and the city in doing our work to minimize disruption to residents and businesses," she said. ``We are part of an ongoing open dialogue to continue to improve the standards of work and the response. All of the work that we do when we make the cuts and redo the streets conform with the standards set by the [ state] Department of Telecommunications and Energy, our regulatory agency, and are regularly inspected by them."

Last night, Galvin said, the stretch of Dorchester Avenue where the mayor's SUV hit a rough patch had a steel plate over it.

Have you noticed a badly dug up or poorly repaved street in the city of Boston? Send an e-mail to starts@globe. com or call 617-929-3100. Andrea Estes can be reached at estes@globe.com.
Link

My greatest fear while riding my bicycle in Boston is not the drivers.... its the condition of the roads. Sometimes I end up riding in the middle of traffic to avoid potholes and uneven pavement on the sides due to shoddy repair work. I totally agree with Menino and am glad he has done this. Cambridge street is absolutely horrible. Parts of Beacon street are bad. Even Western Ave through Brighton is in rough shape. Utility crews did a shoddy job of repaving after work last summer.

I was happy to see that parts of Comm Ave were repaved. It really needed it.

Parts of Somerville are pretty bad, too. Try riding a bike westbound through Union Square, turning right onto Bow Street.

Ron Newman said:
Parts of Somerville are pretty bad, too. Try riding a bike westbound through Union Square, turning right onto Bow Street.

Yes! I know that part. A stretch of Beacon St in Somerville, heading towards Somerville Ave is very bad too, and all due to poor patchwork after construction

The annoying thing about this isn't that I disagree with Menino, because I don't. But why does everything in Boston have to get done by dictatorial mandate. The mayor wants a skyscraper, so we get a skyscraper. The mayor doesn't like a developer, he never gets to develop in this city again. The mayor hits a pothole, all construction in the city stops. It's like Soviet Russia, except maybe less efficiently run.

Sure, we might all think the Winthrop Square tower is great and that keeping the roads in good shape is great. But the way things get done in this city - by one man's whims rather than by a public dialogue, debate, and passage of a bill - is ridiculous.

^ ridiculous as it may be, things could be worse. Imagine the reverse of what you just posted--where public dialogue and debate determine what gets done. Thats how things work in my city and I cant tell you how many high rises have not been built because of it. It is a road to nowhere essentially.

Patrick said:
^ Imagine the reverse of what you just posted--where public dialogue and debate determine what gets done.

That's called "democracy", and it should take priority over almost anything else.

Ron Newman said:
Patrick said:
^ Imagine the reverse of what you just posted--where public dialogue and debate determine what gets done.

That's called "democracy", and it should take priority over almost anything else.

Ever heard of the electoral college? Know why it was created? And howabout the special provisions that allow the president to engage U.S. troops in battle without telling Congress for a certain amount of time? Know why that is possible? Democracy is fair, for sure, but not efficient. If you want development to occur, democracy is NOT the way it is going to happen. The 1980s real estate boom all across the nation didn't happen because the public had debates and wanted it to.

Patrick said:
And howabout the special provisions that allow the president to engage U.S. troops in battle without telling Congress for a certain amount of time?

Those should be repealed, but we're getting way off topic now.

Well although they can and have been abused, my point is that, just like war, development is something that requires efficiency and a certain quickness of action. And neither is achieved through democratic means. Thats all I was trying to say. If you think democracy is helpful to development, just take a look at cities that debate things to death through the city council and neighborhood groups and public forums etc. like portland. compare it to a city that has an ambitiopus mayor and you will see a big difference. like manchester. I would give nearly anything for an ambitious mayor that acted non-democratically to get things done. I agree, we are getting off topic, ill stop now.

Well the issue of roads is a no-brainer. The majority of people would like to see the mayor take action, and he is, regardless of whether or not the people spoke. In our town, the mayor represents the people.

Speaking of Winthrop Sq. Is this action in response to criticisms he received @ Winthrop Sq. It really seems a bit suspicious that he has finally focused on this problem, which is one that gets under alot of peoples skin. "Why is he worried about a big building?" "Why doesn't he fix the potholes in the road?" blah blah blah

It seems to me if the peoples Mayor had been listening to them, he would have heard @ the probs with the roads in Boston a long time ago.

The timing seems really funny to me.

Though I am really glad something is finally being done about it. Our roads are complete shit.

Maybe the city ran out of money for roadwork and the mayor wanted to avoid embarrassment.

ZenZen said:
Well the issue of roads is a no-brainer. The majority of people would like to see the mayor take action, and he is, regardless of whether or not the people spoke. In our town, the mayor represents the people.

Huh? Don't you live in Brookline? Brookline is a town. Towns in Massachusetts don't have mayors, they have boards of Selectmen.

Roxxma said:
ZenZen said:

Huh? Don't you live in Brookline? Brookline is a town. Towns in Massachusetts don't have mayors, they have boards of Selectmen.

My apologies. I wasn't too clear in my statement.

I was referring to Boston as "our town" - figuratively and I was also referring to Mumbles as "the mayor".

Repaving work resumes, after a city lesson

By Andrea Estes, Globe Staff | June 28, 2006

Construction resumed yesterday on Boston roads after utility companies and others who routinely cut through the asphalt were called into City Hall and given a refresher course on patching holes in sidewalks and streets.

The city lifted its construction moratorium after warning about 60 company representatives, and also the heads of the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority and the Boston Water and Sewer Commission, that they are failing to properly refill the holes they open during their work , leaving city streets bumpy and uneven.

"We told them that across the city the work is starting to be substandard," said Michael Galvin, the city's chief of basic services, who ran Monday's meeting. ``We said, `We want to bring it up. We will bring it up. We're going to monitor you and stop the job,' " he said.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino halted all construction involving cutting into city roadways on Thursday after he drove over a poorly patched stretch of Dorchester Avenue. ``I'm not going to stand for it," he said at the time.

At the meeting, the companies were shown a series of photos, taken over the weekend, of shoddy repairs on roads and sidewalks .

There were poorly reconstructed sidewalks, plates that had shifted, subpar asphalt jobs, sinkholes," Galvin said. ``They were in Brighton, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, West Roxbury -- across the spectrum.

"The pictures said it all," he added. ``It wasn't like that a few years ago."

Galvin said the city will step up enforcement, assigning additional inspectors to monitor work and halt jobs that don't meet city standards, which were shown to company representatives attending the Monday meeting. The standards are contained in the city's new $25 manual, titled
"Rules and Specifications for Excavation Activity Within the City of Boston," which sets forth detailed regulations for cutting streets and patching holes.

City officials also will meet individually with representatives of NStar and other large utilities to review their concerns, Galvin said.

A trade group representing contractors said the city shared some responsibility for pitted roadways. While anyone cutting into the street is obligated to make temporary patches under city rules, they said, the city is supposed to apply the permit fees paid by contractors digging up roads to make permanent pavement repairs.

"There is money that goes into a fund and is supposed to go toward the permanent fix," said John Pourbaix of Construction Industries of Massachusetts. ``The temporary patches will last a little time, but they're not designed for the long term. The question is why isn't the city making the permanent patch?"

The construction ban, he said, was a "very drastic step" that cost contractors time and money. Many of them are required under the terms of labor contracts to keep paying their work crews even if they are not working. Some will seek reimbursement from the city for labor and equipment costs, he said.

KeySpan spokeswoman Carmen Fields said crews returned to work yesterday on about 20 jobs in the city.

"This is the peak of our work time," she said, but added: ``We respect and share the mayor's wish for the highest standards of conduct in the work we do. We have the same goals."

NStar spokesman Michael Durand said his company ``heard the city's message. I can speak only for NStar when I tell you we remain committed to performing a high level of work in the streets of Boston."

Spokesmen for Verizon and Comcast said their companies were only minimally affected by the ban.

The mayor said his order to halt street cuts won him praise from residents, who thanked him for taking quick action after he hit the pothole on Dorchester Avenue.

If the city's policy is to require the contractor to make a temporary repair and pay a fee to the city for future permanent repairs (made by the city), then what is all the hoopla about? Of course the temporary repairs are going to be bad - they are temporary.

Why doesn't the city require these contractors to make permanent repairs in the first place?

Seems like the city is to blame on this one.

ZenZen said:
Why doesn't the city require these contractors to make permanent repairs in the first place?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The city likes taking contractors' money. If they had them make permenant repairs, a source of revenue would be lost

So the city gains a good chunk of change at the expense of MBTA buses, private taxis, individual car owners, trucks, bicyclists, pedestrians, and anyone else who depends on these roads - oh, let's not forget emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances (I'd hate to have an IV pop out after hitting a bad temporary patch). What about when the president comes for a visit in his motorcade? I hope he doesn't hit his head.

The mayor needs to step up to the plate and accept blame (while he's at it, he should replace DPW commish Cassazza who's been there 30 years too long). I don't know why I am so fired up about this, but it makes me sick!

ZenZen said:
So the city gains a good chunk of change at the expense of MBTA buses, private taxis, individual car owners, trucks, bicyclists, pedestrians, and anyone else who depends on these roads - oh, let's not forget emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances (I'd hate to have an IV pop out after hitting a bad temporary patch). What about when the president comes for a visit in his motorcade? I hope he doesn't hit his head.

The mayor needs to step up to the plate and accept blame (while he's at it, he should replace DPW commish Cassazza who's been there 30 years too long). I don't know why I am so fired up about this, but it makes me sick!

So go puke up some of these rants on his plate. I've done it before. Gets you noticed. :)

Temp repairs are necessary due to climate conditions. However, these temp repairs are often really disguised as permanent, until they fail so catastrophically and somebody notices that the permanent repair was never attempted. Typical.

Nobody should be allowed to remain in a single public service job for that long, no matter how effective they are. (Sorry, Sen. Kennedy.)

Back