Mayor Menino Builds a Legacy With Construction

Larry DiCara was on Greater Boston on Channel 2 a couple nights ago. They were talking about how the new mayor will have the ability to choose new school superintendent, BPD chief, BRA executive staff and BRA chief, and more (well, unless the current mayor does all that for him).

Larry talked about how Boston is the only major city in the US that has the planning and development roles controlled by just one person, "and that's why it's one of the best jobs in the Western World."

Take that, Pope Francis. Take that, Barack Obama!

^^^
My question what has the Mayor really done?

All the jobs & growth are coming from Cambridge Ma. The entire city of Boston has become transplant of people from around the world to go to college here.

Yes... this is positive for diversity & education but this wasn't because of the Mayor.

The way I see Mayor Menino was very lucky during his tenure which he endure the largest BUBBLE of them all. THE COLLEGE BUBBLE and that is what made the city of Boston so desirable to live. Besides that take a look at the city's inner school system---FAILED.

and to JAK's mild criticism's.

I'm not going to argue or defend all the adoration for the guy because I criticize him like everyone else. But, that's what we do. Reagan got the Mickey tore out of him for years, and then retrospectively has been looked at as one of the best President's of all time. Many will also say the same about Nixon (until a tape recorder ruined that whole thing.) History will tell us his legacy, not so much the headlines and articles that want to be in chic today and praise the man.

To Rif's comments above (without getting into some of the old ass arguments you have intertwined in there) to a point you are very correct.

Call him Tom Menino - Steward of Boston, and that title is much more apt than Mayor. He hasn't had to do much but ride the success of the area that is as you say built on the success of the higher education, health care, and life science technologies (all things over which he has almost zero control). He has been a steady hand that the City needed. Although that hand was little too strong from time to time (many times to many times) due to his ego and need for validation.

All in all, he did pretty well indeed.

They were talking about how the new mayor will have the ability to choose new school superintendent, BPD chief, BRA executive staff and BRA chief, and more (well, unless the current mayor does all that for him).

The new mayor will almost certainly appoint his own people to all top posts. He would be foolish not to do so, and he would be foolish to keep any of Menino's recommendations or appointments.

Back