MBTA Fare Restructuring/Increase/Automation

One MBTA employee told me they will eventually be charging for the cards. But I don't trust what the staff say since another one told me that I could transfer value from the Charlie Ticket to my Charlie Card, which I can't. Also, more than once I have heard on the Red Line "Change here for the Blue Line" when entering Park Street.

I think they will start charging for the CC, though. I feel like when they turn around and realize everyone else does it....

Get 'em while they're free

Looks like I can't register and add value to my CharlieCard online yet. Does anyone know something I don't?

Sure you can add value to it. I've done so twice already, once with $5 from a debit card, then again with 40 cents in coins.

Ron Newman said:
Sure you can add value to it. I've done so twice already, once with $5 from a debit card, then again with 40 cents in coins.

He means ONLINE.

I never liked the idea of a card. I have numerous mta cards from nyc and one from dc floating around in my wallet, money wasting away on them.

The analogy would be to that of buying a gift certificate to use the train. If I use the T twice a year now (too much) I dont want to have to bother with a stupid card. Just let me put my cash in and let me be on my way. I'm sure millions of riders don't use it every day and would rather not be hassled with the issue of getting a stupid card.

The one & two ride Charlie Tickets will still be available (just slightly more expensive) so it works like this:

Old way: Pay money > Get token > Put token in gate > Walk through gate.

New way: Pay money > Get ticket > Put ticket in gate > Walk through gate.

Well, you can put whatever amount you want on either the card or the Charlie Ticket. So if you know you are only going to ride it once or twice, just put the exact amount on.

Fields Corner

The new Fields Corner station opened this morning, probably at the beginning of service. I got there around 9:45 am and exited into the new lobby, where the Fare Vending Machines were already in service but the Charlie gates were cordoned off behind a ceremonial ribbon.

Santa Claus arrived at 10:05 am and cut the ribbon. Then he began handing out Charlie Card brochures with bows tied on top. The Charlie Cards all had value on them. Mine had $10, others got $2.50 or $5, and some probably had even more stored value. I also heard that a few of the gift CharlieCards had a LinkPass on them.

This was the very last station to be converted. Congratulations to the MBTA for finishing the job on time.

The station still needs a lot of work -- it doesn't yet have escalators or elevators. Wheelchair access is still from a long ramp to Geneva Avenue, and I don't think there's any Charlie gate down there.

Dude ...

You say it's the very last station to be converted.

Does this mean Copley Square is done? If so, that is truly a miracle.

Yes, Copley opened a day or two before Fields Corner. Both stations still have a lot of work left to do, but they are now Charlie-converted.

Paying the fare on the bus has not become more of a pain in the ass now since it takes longer just to pay in cash and longer to use the ticket. My bus is always late now...

It used to be:
Dump coins in and go or swipe card and go.

Now it's:
Insert coins and take about 5 seconds more or insert ticket, wait 4 seconds, take ticket and go. Or if u now have the card, tap it, go.

I know 5 or 4 seconds arent that much but try having about 20 people doing this especially during rush hour.

I just disected a Charlie Card after I read a comment on badtransit.com claiming that despite the warning not to, you can indeed punch a whole in it. You just have to be careful to avoid the bottom right corner of the front side. If the tiny chip is the only workign part of the card, you could be creative with it, implanting it into a finger of a glove, or maybe in the brim of a hat you always wear.

the chip is just to the right of the word "Authority", but doesn't the card also have a bunch of wiring that acts as an antenna? Take that away and I wonder how well it still works.

I couldn't find anything but plastic except for the small chip in the corner. What I'm seeing as the chip must include a little antenna.

Back