McMansion Hell & Other Real Estate Madness

One thing I'm having a hard time with in this blog is trying to see all of the posts. I can't seem to find an "archive" section so I can go right to certain houses.

Edit...nevermind, I finally found it.

Last edited:
I've been reading it religiously since Slate posted a link to it some weeks back. Smart 'n' sassy with just a dash of well-informed history. Delightful. Also, the blogger replies back to you pretty quickly if you email her...

Liked it until I read the section about putting two spaces after a period. I always put 2 spaces after a period, fuck him.

Liked it until I read the section about putting two spaces after a period. I always put 2 spaces after a period, fuck him.

Don't hijack this thread with your weird "two spaces after a period" conspiracy theories. :eek:

Just to point out how wrong you are: your originally typed double space (visible in the comment draft when I quote you) gets corrected to a single space when the comment posts.

I used to do it as well. Don't do it.

When I was a boy, we were taught to put two spaces after a period. I don't see the big deal.

^ I wonder if this is generational. On what did you learn to type?

Apple IIE or IIC. I can't remember. Probably both at one point.

I'm 38 years old, if that helps.

^ I wonder if this is generational. On what did you learn to type?

In a sense it is generational, but that doesn't mean the older generation isn't wrong.

Double space hasn't been appropriate since the invention of computers and modern fonts. Unless you are literally typing on a typewriter or using a font that deliberately emulates a typewriter, only one space after a period is appropriate. With typewriters, readability was so poor that the double space helped. With modern fonts a small amount of extra space is included automatically after a period and adding yet another space only degrades readability.

I regularly have to correct people who write for a living and collect twice my salary. The fact that people continue to do this incorrectly 30+ years since it has been a relevant issue is embarrassing for them.

Apple IIE or IIC. I can't remember. Probably both at one point.

I'm 38 years old, if that helps.

I believe the Apple IIE/C used monospace fonts, so it makes sense that you would have been taught to use a double space. If you had been born a few years later you likely would have been using Windows 3.1 and things would be different.

I'll agree with others in stating that it is no longer necessary a definitely a waste of space (sorry), but old habits die hard, and it's nothing to get upset over.

I love her blog. I read an entry whenever I need a pick me up.

I've seen worse roaming the outer Boston burbs(and don't get me started on Philly/south Jersey!) but I'd say the most impressive part of this endeavor has been their ability to monetize it to the tune of almost $1700 a month with Patreon.

^ I don't know, I may need to buy one of those Shutters Shut shirts.

I've seen worse roaming the outer Boston burbs(and don't get me started on Philly/south Jersey!) but I'd say the most impressive part of this endeavor has been their ability to monetize it to the tune of almost $1700 a month with Patreon.

+1. Yay gig economy!

A new article by Kate Wagner. It's not about McMansions per se (although you could argue that it almost comes close to defending McMansions).

Most of this stuff I've learned through conversations with CCA on this board (I still don't like it but I accept it as reality), however it nice to see it all laid one in one piece.

The myth of ‘We don’t build houses like we used to’

My father's parents bought a farmstead in Sherborn in 1947, that had been built circa 1774. All the doorframes and flooring slanted toward the center of the house because the chimney had sunken over the centuries and pulled the house with it. There was an original brick oven in one of the three fireplaces. The doors were all latched, not knobbed, and latches and hinges were hammered iron. The whole property fronted woods with what were once roads, turned into tractor roads, turned into paths. It was just about the most picturesque place imaginable. When my family sold it about 5 years ago, the purchaser divided the lot in two, tore down the house, and cut down an oak tree in the front yard that must have been as old as the house. I seriously don't understand how a house that literally was older than the Revolution was not protected by the town, but it goes to show, you assume things are protected, just like the Wright house, but they aren't. Sherborn is also an excellent example of McMansion-ization, albeit in most cases, somewhat more tastefully than the endless cul-de-sac abominations of nearby towns.

I definitely err too far on the side of "older is better, preserve everything", but I will never understand people who just don't give a shit about old homes and buildings. It's so depressing.

Back