Metropolitan Storage Warehouse Redevelopment/Renovation (MIT) | 134 Mass. Ave | Cambridge

Another "cut-out" now being carved. Thick walls and vaulting (today, 10/30):

msw-33-5.jpg

msw-33-6.jpg

I was expecting a glacial pace on something like this. Exciting to see it moving..

I was expecting a glacial pace on something like this. Exciting to see it moving..

Just an informal hypothesis based on limited observation, but in today's (lousy) project financing environment I think we are seeing the institutional projects racing ahead faster than pretty much everything else.

(I might surmise you're referring to the technical/craftsmanship challenges of a project like this, which are no doubt steep and I certainly recognize are at-play in parallel, but I think it also helps to have a confident and non-contingent money supply fueling it in a way that institutions can uniquely do in 2023 relative to commercial developers)

Would it really have killed them to match the shape of the original windows?

Is that the final appearance of the glass or is that a film? The renderings suggest a transparent glass rather than a reflective mirror.

I would love if they copied the historic lettering and completed the gaps in "Metropolitan Storage Warehouse" and "Fire Proof" with window decals. Would be a fun installation that could be removed later.

Last edited:

Back