MIT Museum/Book Store | née Boeing | 314 Main St. | Kendall Square

Ah another building with potential, but too stumpy

This building looks good from whatever angle it's photographed, as well as under different day light conditions. I really like this one!

Ah another building with potential, but too stumpy

ugh I agree. I think it looks great either way, but it would've been amazing with better proportions...makes me think of 150 North Riverside in Chicago
tumblr_ok990fN2qA1v441kbo1_540.jpg

Yes, at least taken alone I could see it going taller to give it better proportions, but also I think that in its current context it would have been a bit overwhelming at the edge of MIT campus to go much taller. Better to step up a bit to taller buildings at Volpe.

The building does pretty well to define the transition between Kendall/MIT... literally reflecting both. Looking at the reflection of the building across the street I think it will work well with what Google is putting up and the other new buildings.

Looking forward to visiting the museum with my kids.

Watching the size of the core and the rest of the floor plates, as it was built, I think it would have to run above the FAA limit to look thin.

Such a great article in the Globe today about how Massachusetts, and in particular, MIT, played such a huge role in the Apollo Moon landing (the 50 year anniversary is coming up on July 20th) and I wouldn't be surprised if the new MIT museum included a large section of it to it's Apollo 11 role. On a side note, the comment section was filled with interesting anecdotes from readers about family members who did work for MIT, and area companies, without one mention of today's political and social divisions. Apollo 11 truly united us all, Americans, as well as the international community, as we held our collective breath to follow the flight of Apollo 11, and then to watch as Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...usetts-moon/QZQCxE9z1aGrCLnL1ni6iL/story.html

Such a great article in the Globe today about how Massachusetts, and in particular, MIT, played such a huge role in the Apollo Moon landing (the 50 year anniversary is coming up on July 20th) and I wouldn't be surprised if the new MIT museum included a large section of it to it's Apollo 11 role. On a side note, the comment section was filled with interesting anecdotes from readers about family members who did work for MIT, and area companies, without one mention of today's political and social divisions. Apollo 11 truly united us all, Americans, as well as the international community, as we held our collective breath to follow the flight of Apollo 11, and then to watch as Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...usetts-moon/QZQCxE9z1aGrCLnL1ni6iL/story.html

The very fact that we are on this AB blog commenting on things to each other is testament to the importance of the Apollo Guidance Computer -- the Patriarch of the entire family of Personal Computing devices
Agc_view.jpg

This one is definitely growing on me. The red color effects on the angles are cool.

I was intrigued from seeing the first rendering, the shape, the color, but once the first rows of glass were installed, I was hooked! She's a beauty! 😍

I was intrigued from seeing the first rendering, the shape, the color, but once the first rows of glass were installed, I was hooked! She's a beauty! 😍

She's the fat chick with the really pretty face. Really, really pretty. I hope she has a younger sister in her future with better proportions!

She's the fat chick with the really pretty face. Really, really pretty. I hope she has a younger sister in her future with better proportions!

Haha, dude, Rubenesque is much more complimentary! ;)

I feel like we are a smart enough bunch here to get our points across without it having to be at someone's expense. It can be funny even, in a way that was not.

Future home of:
  • MIT Museum
  • Boeing
  • Capital One
  • Apple Computer
Still a few thousand sq ft available according to Bisnow/Boston
Apple, Capital One, Boeing Plan To Share A Kendall Square Tower
BostonOffice December 20, 2018 Cameron Sperance, Bisnow Boston
Apple signed a letter of intent to lease a floor at a new office building MIT is developing at 314 Main St. in Kendall Square, the Boston Globe reports. The company stated last week it planned to bring “hundreds” of jobs to Boston as part of its national expansion. Apple has an 11,500 SF office at One Broadway in Kendall, and its presence at 314 Main St. would be smaller than other tech companies in the area......
Capital One is expected to join Apple after the bank holding company agreed to lease three floors at 314 Main St.
Boeing has already committed to a four-floor, 100K SF office in the building.
Five floors are still available.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...96216?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Back