MIT Museum/Book Store | née Boeing | 314 Main St. | Kendall Square

I feel like we are a smart enough bunch here to get our points across without it having to be at someone's expense. It can be funny even, in a way that was not.
meanwhile, the building be like "I don't care if you think I'm sexy, I'm here to get business done."

It's a grand thing to see MIT become a superpower.
Depends on your method of determining but:

By some measures the companies started by MIT alums as an economic entity should certainly be invited to the G-20 if not just outside the G-7 -- somewhere around the 10th larges economy and one of the most productive

20190925_141110.jpg

Noticed them putting the last panel into place for the front facade. Cool image through a dirty window :ROFLMAO:

Looking even more forward to the rise of the Volpe skyline now.

I think it's more like 5 unless the market crashes (and MIT is pretty insulated).

Target completion of new Volpe is 2022, so 5 to 6 years for redevelopment of Volpe seems like a good bet right now.

The funny thing is, is that on first pass, the proposal for this and the proposal for the Boston University Center for Memory and Brain probably didn't look so different. I haven't had the chance to see this one in person yet but the pictures make it out to be a stunner. BU's new building is the most offensive thing on that stretch of Comm Ave. Devil's in the details, execution...

The funny thing is, is that on first pass, the proposal for this and the proposal for the Boston University Center for Memory and Brain probably didn't look so different. I haven't had the chance to see this one in person yet but the pictures make it out to be a stunner. BU's new building is the most offensive thing on that stretch of Comm Ave. Devil's in the details, execution...

I somewhat agree... but mostly in the placement of BU's building. I think BUs building looms over the Morse Auditorium which is a former synagogue apparently meant by the architect to be a small scale version of the Temple of Solomon. I hold religious buildings of all faiths and religions with some reverence, but especially when they are beautiful. They should have built the Center for Memory and Brain another 50 feet over at least. Maybe even all the way over to the corner. In another location it is a perfectly fine building, but there it is architecture disrespectful if not openly hostile of its context.

Agreed that the most egregious aspect of the BU building is it's placement, but independent of that I do think that MIT did a far better job with the treatment of the facade and the introduction of the convex angles creates some interesting visual effects.

The red immediately stands out obviously, but hot damn that shade of blue glass is freakin phenominal.

Last edited:
Target completion of new Volpe is 2022, so 5 to 6 years for redevelopment of Volpe seems like a good bet right now.
Tangent -- New Volpe target completion 2022 -- say July
Volpe crew moves during the last quarter of 2022 to be realistic
Assuming there are no glitches -- old Volpe starts to come down in Spring 2023 -- that's when MIT can actually start work on anything related to the redevelopment
There's bound to be some remediation work as who knows what the Feds spilled during the NASA era as well as the DOT era
I'm guessing site prep begins in the Spring of 2024
Construction on the first of the new development by Spring 2025
Completion of Kendall Tower -- 2028 [likely] range [2026 to 2030]

Tangent -- New Volpe target completion 2022 -- say July
Volpe crew moves during the last quarter of 2022 to be realistic
Assuming there are no glitches -- old Volpe starts to come down in Spring 2023 -- that's when MIT can actually start work on anything related to the redevelopment

You might be right. Although a good portion of the Vope site doesn't have any buildings so I could see one or two buildings starting early 2023 or even late 2022 depending on what the agreement with DoT is for parking.

There's bound to be some remediation work as who knows what the Feds spilled during the NASA era as well as the DOT era
I'm guessing site prep begins in the Spring of 2024
Construction on the first of the new development by Spring 2025
Completion of Kendall Tower -- 2028 [likely] range [2026 to 2030]

If anything I think it would be pre-Fed industrial that might be a concern, but of course blame it on the Feds for remediation money. The Fed space was for the most part not industrial, not chemical. Not even sure asbestos would be a concern given the time frame. Always a chance of diesel spills on the back-up generators.

You might be right. Although a good portion of the Vope site doesn't have any buildings so I could see one or two buildings starting early 2023 or even late 2022 depending on what the agreement with DoT is for parking.

If anything I think it would be pre-Fed industrial that might be a concern, but of course blame it on the Feds for remediation money. The Fed space was for the most part not industrial, not chemical. Not even sure asbestos would be a concern given the time frame. Always a chance of diesel spills on the back-up generators.
Tangent -- good point
Who knows what companies such as Kendall Boiler and Tank and American Biltrite Rubber Hose spilled in the decades before the NASA leveling of the entire Kendall area

Back