Monsanto House of the Future

statler

Reaction score
Some of you may be old enough to remember seeing this in person.

futurehouse_top.jpg

House of the Future

It's interesting that though a lot of the technology within the house became standard fare (micro-wave ovens, push button phones, large screen color TV's) the architecture itself, never really won over. Sure there are probably a few examples scattered around, but on the whole people seem to prefer their brick and wood homes.

More photos and info.

^^ I wish i could have seen this in person.

I think the technology becomes standard fare because technology evolves in sort of a standard way. The next logical step from black and white TVs would be color TVs. Cell phones become predictably more compact and more powerful as technology advances. In a way, technology creates the "era" (the car shaped cookie cutter suburbs and car-centered development in the late 40's- today, really).

Architecture on the other hand, seems to be more of a result of the era (think LEED certified Green buildings in our enviro-crazy world today). It's much harder to predict what society will do that will shape the architecture of a future era than it is to imagine what technology will do to shape society in the future.

Interesting links though, it's always fun to see things like this (like that ride in Tomorrow Land that took you through the generations with the animatronic family... i forget what it's called/ if it even exists anymore).

Back