SUPERCEDED MXD | Kendall Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
20220310_181455.jpg

So, we heard about Akamai listing some of its space here for sublet recently. Apparently it got snatched up pretty quickly.

Hyundai and Boston Dynamics are investing $400m in a new research institute for "Advancements in Artificial Intelligence & Robotics" that will be located at 145 Broadway:

Someday Cambridge will be considered the most famous city in the world. It will be where the dawn of a new age started, when AI took over and killed/enslaved all humans.

For how smart these people think they are, apparently nobody watched any of the Terminator or Matrix movies. For some lesser known fare, the "Metalhead" episode of Black Mirror, plus the 1995 Peter Weller flick Screamers also provide some dark looks into what's likely our very-near future.

So, we heard about Akamai listing some of its space here for sublet recently. Apparently it got snatched up pretty quickly.

Hyundai and Boston Dynamics are investing $400m in a new research institute for "Advancements in Artificial Intelligence & Robotics" that will be located at 145 Broadway:

Globe
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08...-million-ai-robotics-research-center-kendall/

Someday Cambridge will be considered the most famous city in the world. It will be where the dawn of a new age started, when AI took over and killed/enslaved all humans.

For how smart these people think they are, apparently nobody watched any of the Terminator or Matrix movies. For some lesser known fare, the "Metalhead" episode of Black Mirror, plus the 1995 Peter Weller flick Screamers also provide some dark looks into what's likely our very-near future.
I agree. Sci Fi has often been an accurate predictor of future scientific developments. Well, Cambridge is my home town, so any notoriety it may get is fine with me. Despite it feeling like a small town, it's always been on the cutting edge.

This is an expansive Globe article about how Massachusetts has become the global hub of robotics. Shout-out to WPI in Worcester

Beyond its early pioneers, Boston’s robotics scene now includes hundreds of companies. Wilmington-based Symbotic, supplying warehouse robots to Walmart, went public in June and has a stock market value approaching $10 billion. Dotted in a ring around Route 128, other emerging players include 6 River Systems, Vicarious Surgical, and Vecna Robotics.
Like Kiva, iRobot, and Boston Dynamics, many of the region’s companies and founders have MIT ties, but it would be a mistake to credit any one university for the robotics boom. The region is home to 36 academic labs focused on the field, ranging from Harvard’s Agile Robotics Lab to UMass Lowell’s New England Robotics Validation and Experimentation, or NERVE, Center and Tufts’ Human Robot Interaction Lab.

Massachusetts robotics success wasn’t guaranteed, however. About a decade ago, California was luring more startups. So in 2015, the Baker administration joined with tech industry trade group MassTLC to create MassRobotics, a nonprofit now based in the Seaport, that provides early support and office space for robotics entrepreneurs.

Those entrepreneurs include the founders of American Robotics, who came to Boston from Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh as MassRobotics’ first startup-in-residence. It was a coup for Boston given that Carnegie Mellon had spun off numerous startups in its hometown, particularly for autonomous vehicles. Now American Robotics is based in Waltham and last year became the first company to win Federal Aviation Administration approval to make fully automated commercial drone flights.

So far, MassRobotics’ Seaport facility has hosted 108 companies that have gone on to raise more than $350 million from venture capital firms, the nonprofit said in a March report.

“All this technology was being developed here,” said Tom Ryden, the executive director of MassRobotics who once worked at iRobot. “But a few years ago, there was the sense that founders left and went out to Silicon Valley to develop it.”

The final stimulus for growth of the ecosystem is people who get trained at an established company moving on to start their own companies. The phenomenon is known as the “spillover effect,” explained Fady Saad, who helped create MassRobotics and now runs a robotics-focused VC firm called Cybernetix Ventures.

Robotics and AI, BioMed, and energy are the next largest industries. Having two/three of them taking root here and a pretty good university with a nuclear fusion lab and a spinoff startup doesn't seem too bad...

^Also, per info therein, Mods or @Equilibria, apparently the new street address of the MXD residential tower is "121 Broadway." Given this change, and the fact that we've got a separate thread for the 250-290 Binney St. MXD commercial projects, we might want to rename this one to be specific to the 121 Broadway residential tower.

^Also, per info therein, Mods or @Equilibria, apparently the new street address of the MXD residential tower is "121 Broadway." Given this change, and the fact that we've got a separate thread for the 250-290 Binney St. MXD commercial projects, we might want to rename this one to be specific to the 121 Broadway residential tower.

Would have liked to see CRA make their own render with MITIMCO's projects - Site 2 and Volpe (not to mention 585 Third).

1676489686355.png

@Equilibria & @DZH22, this was totally my bad, I meant to post the above update here on the residential tower thread:

I am going to move my original post to there, and up to you two if you want to follow with yours.

@Equilibria ...this also means I inadvertently directly my thread name advice at the wrong thread...this one is for what's now "145 Broadway" (Akamai Building), so appreciate if you can change it back. Meanwhile, the 135 broadway one, linked above, is what should be renamed "121 Broadway". Again, my apologies

@BeeLine seems like it's best to retire (lock) this thread and move on to the dedicated threads for the two ends of the projects. I've renamed to reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back